Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Yet another plea for advice.

Yet another plea for advice.

Old Apr 8th 2018, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Yet another plea for advice.

Originally Posted by Khao Yai
Sorry to disagree with your disagreement! Its not 40,000 its 43,000 - still crap I know but I can live quite happily on that. Depends on your lifestyle and outgoings though. I have no rent to pay and don't live in an expensive area.

You have to remember that a great many Thai's survive on 10,000 per month. Sure, I wouldn't want to live like they do but with 43,000 per month you don't have to.
Hi Khao Yai. Sad to say, I have exactly 43K total coming in, but we will struggle - as will you, but at least my Thai Wife will have a small Thai Civil Service pension, too, which will help. Do bear in mind, unless you pop back to the UK each year, you will never get another State pension Rise. We locate to Phi Bun Mangsahan (Ubon Ratchathani Province) - so not exactly Top Market Utopia! - But Markets for food are great. What area are you aiming for? - Maybe we could correspond? Best regards take Care.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Khao Yai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Yet another plea for advice.

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hi Khao Yai. Sad to say, I have exactly 43K total coming in, but we will struggle - as will you, but at least my Thai Wife will have a small Thai Civil Service pension, too, which will help. Do bear in mind, unless you pop back to the UK each year, you will never get another State pension Rise. We locate to Phi Bun Mangsahan (Ubon Ratchathani Province) - so not exactly Top Market Utopia! - But Markets for food are great. What area are you aiming for? - Maybe we could correspond? Best regards take Care.
I'm not aiming Don, I already have my place and have spent time there - I live close to Khao Yai National Park. Unfortunately I'm back in the UK at the moment waiting for an operation and won't be back in Thailand until September as I can't fly long haul for 3 months after the op. I wouldn't struggle on 43k but I wouldn't be flush either. As I've repeated on a couple of occasions - its about lifestyle. I agree about markets for food though - if I do my shopping at Tesco Lotus it costs almost as much as it does in the UK.

I am aware of the pension freeze thing but I'm a way off getting my pension yet and I will be 'popping back' to the UK every year to see my grandkids.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Hello There, We are hopefully going back for a a month from July 3rd, till 30th, subject to the Cardiologist at our local Hospital, saying I am still OK for the long haul! ( we only do Direct flight - due to the collection of drugs I am taking) - must also remember to put on the pressure tights. - Hopefully to return for good, sooner rather than later. Hope all goes well with your Op. Take Care, Don (aged 87)
Old Apr 13th 2018, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Hello There, We are hopefully going back for a a month from July 3rd, till 30th, subject to the Cardiologist at our local Hospital, saying I am still OK for the long haul! ( we only do Direct flight - due to the collection of drugs I am taking) - must also remember to put on the pressure tights. - Hopefully to return for good, sooner rather than later. Hope all goes well with your Op. Take Care, Don (aged 87)
Saw the Cardiologist yesterday, and was cleared as fit for Travel! So is now up to my Wife!. - Then I can book it with Kayak.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Khao Yai is an unknown quantity at this point

Saw the Cardiologist yesterday, and was cleared as fit for Travel! So is now up to my Wife!. - Then I can book it with Kayak.
Good luck - 87??? Get yourself there!!
Old Apr 17th 2018, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Khao Yai
Good luck - 87??? Get yourself there!!
Thank you , for your kind words. my Wife is doing part-time for a few weeks to help a friend , so she will have her own spending money!. Take care, don