British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Thailand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/thailand-154/)
-   -   Is it worth shipping your things due to taxes and hassle? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/thailand-154/worth-shipping-your-things-due-taxes-hassle-927746/)

Tony and Chanpen Bua Yai Sep 8th 2019 1:30 am

Is it worth shipping your things due to taxes and hassle?

Hi all,

I have just joined, been contacting removal companies and shipping companies and already I am worried about the costs v selling as much as I can and just buying new in Thailand.

I would love to hear your experiences, I have read a couple of the threads and some seem to be just winging it and hoping they don't get caught out, that's fine I guess but I will have a lot of electrical items which I understand they tax high as regarded as luxury items. I have had a quote of around £750 for about 20 boxes although I might be able to get this down when I do it for real if it comes to that.

I am mostly worried about the taxes as if it starts going over 1k its not worth it, most of it is Hi-Fi electricals, computers and tools. When I go next I will take as many of the smaller electricals in my suitcase but as I say really not sure what to do?

Many thanks all.

Tony

Thairetired2016 Sep 9th 2019 7:17 am

Re: Is it worth shipping your things due to taxes and hassle?

Originally Posted by Tony and Chanpen Bua Yai (Post 12733037)
Hi all,

I have just joined, been contacting removal companies and shipping companies and already I am worried about the costs v selling as much as I can and just buying new in Thailand.

I would love to hear your experiences, I have read a couple of the threads and some seem to be just winging it and hoping they don't get caught out, that's fine I guess but I will have a lot of electrical items which I understand they tax high as regarded as luxury items. I have had a quote of around £750 for about 20 boxes although I might be able to get this down when I do it for real if it comes to that.

I am mostly worried about the taxes as if it starts going over 1k its not worth it, most of it is Hi-Fi electricals, computers and tools. When I go next I will take as many of the smaller electricals in my suitcase but as I say really not sure what to do?

Many thanks all.

Tony

May be check taxation on govt. website re items you intend to take. Your wife seems to be Thai, can't she get duty free import of household goods? Or are you shipping for resale? Electrical items are subject to luxury tax? These are not equal to a Gucci bag.
Thaivisa forum may get you more response. Just google and you will find the link.

dontheturner Feb 22nd 2020 7:16 am

Re: Is it worth shipping your things due to taxes and hassle?

Originally Posted by Tony and Chanpen Bua Yai (Post 12733037)
Hi all,

Many thanks all.

Tony

In 2007, I moved with my Thai Wife, back to Ubonratchathani and shipped whole 4 bed House contents, including an Electronic Organ, plus the contents of my Woodworking workshop for my Hobby. We used GB Liners of Hereford. Total cost for 248 Boxes was eight and a half thousand pounds. NO TAX WAS CHARDGED> - there was a queue to buy the HiFi and Tele, when we came back in 2011 . We have just sold up here, and are returning to Phi Bun Mangsahan soon - and aim to repeat the process - but this time everything is in my Wife name, and for more items, the cost is six thousand one hundred, using Anglo-Pacific Shippers (contact Darren) Very efficient. Well worth the while. Don (Aged 89)