British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Thailand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/thailand-154/)
-   -   Working as a teacher in an international school? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/thailand-154/working-teacher-international-school-918566/)

Sorcha1 Oct 22nd 2018 3:56 pm

Working as a teacher in an international school?

Hello,

An opportunity has arisen for my sister to work as a teacher in an international school in Thailand.

She would be interested to hear about anyone's experience of working in Thailand, schools or otherwise, and what the social life is like; she would be a single female approaching 50 and would be hoping to make friends there, rather enjoying the clubbing scene!

Many thanks.

johnarsu Nov 26th 2018 6:19 am

Re: Working as a teacher in an international school?

I think the pay is very low, even for western teachers. At 50 there are better places. Thailand is not a bad place but its not as great as people make out. it is a very backward country in a lot of areas. She would need to be in Pattaya, Phuket or Bangkok, Koh Samui or Hu Hin if she wants to party, anywhere else has a very low quality of life. If she want to stay or go to Asia KL may be a better option its more modern, off course there is Hong Kong and Singapore which are fantastic but they are expensive to live.

scrubbedexpat142 Nov 26th 2018 9:01 am

My brother (51) has been teaching at an international school in Bangkok for more than 10 years, lives there with his wife & 2 kids - & seems to love it.

Judging by their jet setting & social lives the pay can't be that bad, although maybe he is getting subsidised (by the family)!

johnarsu Nov 26th 2018 9:15 am

Depends where they are jet setting to, flight within Asia are very cheap. I would also image being teachers at the school they get massive discount on the school fees, as they can be extortionate esp in BKK.

scrubbedexpat142 Nov 26th 2018 9:18 am

Originally Posted by johnarsu (Post 12599460)
Depends where they are jet setting to, flight within Asia are very cheap. I would also image being teachers at the school they get massive discount on the school fees, as they can be extortionate esp in BKK.

I was referring to their annual trip trips to the UK!

TeacherSimon Jan 9th 2019 1:32 am

Old thread, but I'll comment.

If it is a 'real' international school, then salaries are typically at least $3,000 - $4,000 a month, plus free staff accommodation. medical insurance etc.

There is a big difference between working for $1,000 a month at a government school and working at an international school...

ZachJBrodsky Feb 3rd 2019 2:35 am

Yes, real international schools tend to pay pretty well and it is still possible to live relatively cheaply in Bangkok.

Thairetired2016 Feb 3rd 2019 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Sorcha1 (Post 12581369)
Hello,

An opportunity has arisen for my sister to work as a teacher in an international school in Thailand.

She would be interested to hear about anyone's experience of working in Thailand, schools or otherwise, and what the social life is like; she would be a single female approaching 50 and would be hoping to make friends there, rather enjoying the clubbing scene!

Many thanks.

Look at ajarn.com for info on teaching, pros and cons.
A truly internat. school pays well, some schools call themselves "internat" but they are not really such.
Making friends will not be so easy. May be joining one of the internat. ladies groups, soroptomists? Contact to Thais will be very difficult to get outside work place.