British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Thailand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/thailand-154/)
-   -   Working in Bangkok (https://britishexpats.com/forum/thailand-154/working-bangkok-931591/)

Millhouse Mar 8th 2020 6:43 am

Working in Bangkok

Hello,

I have the opportunity to move to Bangkok. I have a wife and two small (pre-school) kids.

I was wondering what the quality of life is like there... package would be around 170k USD cash + benefits like schooling and housing. The package will be tax-free. This is less than I get currently get but where I currently am (Dubai) is super expensive. I'm wondering if Thailand will also work out just as expensive once the ex-pat bubble is inflated. Obviously I understand that it's perfectly possible to live ok on 2k USD a month but I'm not a retiree and I'm seeking to save.

My questions are:
1. What is schooling / day-care like? Not too fussed about the cost of schools as that will picked up. More about availability and quality
2. Air quality... Dubai is awful due to dust... what's Bangkok like?
3. Maids... can I bring mine- she is from the Philippines?
4. Dogs... how dog-friendly are they? Places to walk? He is concerned about being eaten although I've told him that won't happen
5. Expat scene... Is it all OFL teachers and drunks just trying to bang as many bar girls as possible, or can I actually meet people with kids and similar interests (note, mine would be the gym...and probably banging as many bar girls as possible lol).
6. Racism... I resemble the milky-bar kid, the wife looks like 95% coca lindt and the kids are walking starbucks lattes. Will we be accepted, suffer racism or become the walking circus show and have constant pictures taken of us
7. Car... I can probably import mine from Dubai (a Fortuner) ... worth it?
8. General safety - I've never felt concerned anywhere really but again would be worried about the wife and kids
9. Finally.... would the wife be able to find some work? Not fussed about salaries but its the purpose of employment that is key. Assume we would be on a friendly visa status for that.

I've been to Thailand a few times and love the place, but living there is always different from our savage holidays of past.

I know it's a lot of questions but any advice would be gratefully received.

Thairetired2016 Mar 8th 2020 10:54 am

Re: Working in Bangkok

I start off with airquality: For about a year Bangkok suffered very unhealthy levels of pollution. It is due to burning harvested rice stubnle, sugar cane, and whatever else in farm areas outside Bangkok. Other reason are the no. of cars, dust from endless construction. I have been living in Bkk since 2004 for most of the year. In the past we had short spells earlier in the year from slash/burn fires in Indonesia. Now we wear face masks for most of the time.

Dogs: Thailand is not dog friendly i.e. it is difficult to find accomodation where dogs are allowed. But you can find it. Dogs are not allowed in parks. I understand there are "dog parks". Taxis will not take dogs in general.

No shortage of good international schools, Brit. and American curriculum, taught by expat teachers.

Racism: no worse than anywhere else. No outright racism from Thais. You won't be the talk of the town.

Safety: Beware of Thai drivers and when crossing a road. Just joking.
I never felt unsafe or looking over my shoulder when going anywhere day or night.
Pickpockets operate here or there. Burglaries: Don't know, We live in an apartment.

Bring your maid? Don't know. There are many Philippinos in Thailand. On what visa?

Meet other expats: No problem, you will meet other parents through school, British Club, Racquet Club if you enjoy sports. Bkk has lots of gyms.British Women's Group for your wife or any other ladies group depending on your nationality.

Work for your wife: she will need a work permit. Thailand has job reservation for Thais. Even unpaid work is considered work and needs a permit.

Thailand is no longer a low cost destination. Cost of living (food) like continental Europe (Austria, Germany e.g.). Everything else: from cheap to top price). Lots of M.Easterners visit for cheap shopping.
Drinks are very pricey.

Whether you can save on your income or not I can't say. Depends on your lifestyle.

Hope my info helps a bit towards a decision.

nonthaburi Mar 8th 2020 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12817627)
Hello,

I have the opportunity to move to Bangkok. I have a wife and two small (pre-school) kids.

I was wondering what the quality of life is like there... package would be around 170k USD cash + benefits like schooling and housing. The package will be tax-free. This is less than I get currently get but where I currently am (Dubai) is super expensive. I'm wondering if Thailand will also work out just as expensive once the ex-pat bubble is inflated. Obviously I understand that it's perfectly possible to live ok on 2k USD a month but I'm not a retiree and I'm seeking to save.

My questions are:
1. What is schooling / day-care like? Not too fussed about the cost of schools as that will picked up. More about availability and quality
2. Air quality... Dubai is awful due to dust... what's Bangkok like?
3. Maids... can I bring mine- she is from the Philippines?
4. Dogs... how dog-friendly are they? Places to walk? He is concerned about being eaten although I've told him that won't happen
5. Expat scene... Is it all OFL teachers and drunks just trying to bang as many bar girls as possible, or can I actually meet people with kids and similar interests (note, mine would be the gym...and probably banging as many bar girls as possible lol).
6. Racism... I resemble the milky-bar kid, the wife looks like 95% coca lindt and the kids are walking starbucks lattes. Will we be accepted, suffer racism or become the walking circus show and have constant pictures taken of us
7. Car... I can probably import mine from Dubai (a Fortuner) ... worth it?
8. General safety - I've never felt concerned anywhere really but again would be worried about the wife and kids
9. Finally.... would the wife be able to find some work? Not fussed about salaries but its the purpose of employment that is key. Assume we would be on a friendly visa status for that.

I've been to Thailand a few times and love the place, but living there is always different from our savage holidays of past.

I know it's a lot of questions but any advice would be gratefully received.

1. A multitude of choices. Won't be a problem, especially as money no object. One thing to think about may be the distance and travel time to get there . Likewise your travel to work.

2. Can be bad. Regularly exceeds safe limits for pm particles. A different kind of bad from Dubai though. More hazy than dusty.

3. Think you can. Why not ask HR Bangkok? They'll know the legal stuff. Philippines is ASEAN though so that helps.

4. Thais love dogs generally. But they like to keep their dog at their home. Not your dog. You can walk your dog anywhere in the street and it's fine. Most malls will let you take your dog if it's carried. Hiso places it's a no, Loso places no one cares .

5. In Bangkok, all sorts these days from all over the place.

6. Interesting one thi . I wouldn't say Thais are particularly racist in a traditional sense . They're fairly oblivious to anything outside of Thailand. They do have serious issues over skin colour though. White is beautiful and black is ugly. They take this to extremes. No one will start taking pictures of you, but many will likely find your choice of partner strange. I'm talking about your average Thai here.

7. Don't bother. Import taxes are horrendous and it involves a serious amount of paperwork. Toyota makes cars in Thailand providing jobs for Thais. Thailand doesn't want you bringing other cars in. The costs reflect that. Cars are expensive to buy too.

8. Bangkok is generally a safe city, but just be sensible. Don't show your wealth too much. There are dangerous areas in Bangkok, but you would have no reason to go there. Be wary of Thai men drinking. Things are great until they're not , and if you're not familiar with the language you won't know what's going on. The thing you would probably have to be most wary of are pickpockets, and bag snatches from a motorbike. Robbery with violence is rare. Also, be legal. The police are corrupt and poorly paid. Don't leave yourself open to police shakedowns for bribes.

9. Depends what she can do I suppose, many professions are Thais only.

Finally, regarding money. You should be quids in. School and housing provided, you're looking at 400k+ a month. If you can't live on that and save a load you're a rockstar.

nonthaburi Mar 8th 2020 12:00 pm

Oh yeah, have a look on dd property to give you an idea about accommodation and prices. Be easier getting a house to take dogs than an apartment.

Millhouse Mar 8th 2020 1:11 pm

Thank you (gender-neutral) guys, this is very helpful.