Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

What is it about Thailand?

What is it about Thailand?

Old Feb 16th 2006, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

John Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is it about Thailand?

Originally Posted by Fitz750
If you do see a show, don't hold onto a balloon if anyone hands one to you :scared:

Yea, Thailand what a place. Bangkok, from the temples and reclining Buddah to seeing elephants walking down the traffic congested streets, totally amazing.
Then you get out into the country and the islands and it's so beautiful and relaxing - wow, fond memories
Yes,beautiful, We live here
But watch out for Kami Kaze bikers
Old Feb 16th 2006, 3:08 am

Fitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wellington,
Yes,beautiful, We live here
But watch out for Kami Kaze bikers
and the Tuk Tuk drivers
Old Feb 16th 2006, 9:33 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I love the Tuk Tuks. I enjoyed the way everyone smiles at you and found it difficult in coming back to London.

Smiling away at fellow commuters, I looked like a 'special' person and they just stared back vacantly.

Thailand is easily the best holiday I have ever been on.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

John Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I love the Tuk Tuks. I enjoyed the way everyone smiles at you and found it difficult in coming back to London.

Smiling away at fellow commuters, I looked like a 'special' person and they just stared back vacantly.

Hope you will come again
But actually Tuc Tuc drivers are a rightly maligned race apart here
and the horror stories are too numerous to begin.
Mafia has a bit to do with it.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 10:04 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you will come again
But actually Tuc Tuc drivers are a rightly maligned race apart here
and the horror stories are too numerous to begin.
Mafia has a bit to do with it.

One of them wouldnt leave us alone, followed us to the restaurant and even waited for us.

When we finished our meal, I said to him 'Right, can you take us to London please?'

He scratched his head, thought for a minute and said 'I dont think I go that far' and scuttled off leaving his mates laughing.

But I do think Thailand is a magical country and whatever its faults, you lose sense of time there, nothing in the outside world seems to matter and it was the most relaxed I have ever been.

When I fell over in the pole dancing club, my leg was huge. This old woman who did Thai massage, called me in to her parlour, we got chatting.

She asked if she could look at my leg as she had seen me on crutches.

'Leg broken, leg broken' was all she kept saying as she put hot and cold compresses on my leg.

'Oh no, I think its just my ankle is sprained so they said in Patong hospital' I told her.

She kept insisting 'leg broken'

Wellington, I got back to the UK, had some physio because even the hospital thought it was just a sprained ankle.

Got a second opinion and guess what? my leg was fractured in exactly the same spot as the Thai lady said it was.

They seem to be remarkably tuned in to health and have simple yet effective ways of helping people.

I felt proud to have met them and if I ever won the lottery, wouldn't hesitate in helping those that needed it in Thailand, hospitals, whatever.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

One of them wouldnt leave us alone, followed us to the restaurant and even waited for us.

When we finished our meal, I said to him 'Right, can you take us to London please?'

He scratched his head, thought for a minute and said 'I dont think I go that far' and scuttled off leaving his mates laughing.

But I do think Thailand is a magical country and whatever its faults, you lose sense of time there, nothing in the outside world seems to matter and it was the most relaxed I have ever been.

When I fell over in the pole dancing club, my leg was huge. This old woman who did Thai massage, called me in to her parlour, we got chatting.

She asked if she could look at my leg as she had seen me on crutches.

'Leg broken, leg broken' was all she kept saying as she put hot and cold compresses on my leg.

'Oh no, I think its just my ankle is sprained so they said in Patong hospital' I told her.

She kept insisting 'leg broken'

Wellington, I got back to the UK, had some physio because even the hospital thought it was just a sprained ankle.

Got a second opinion and guess what? my leg was fractured in exactly the same spot as the Thai lady said it was.

They seem to be remarkably tuned in to health and have simple yet effective ways of helping people.

I felt proud to have met them and if I ever won the lottery, wouldn't hesitate in helping those that needed it in Thailand, hospitals, whatever.
That is amazing, isn' it
We have heard similar tales of The Thai's ability to suss out what doctors sometimes cannot.
Magic
But this whole country offers daily magic if you are lucky enough to come here.
Come on.all you trying to make up your minds where to go for your vacations this year
Come and find the magic of Thailand
Old Feb 16th 2006, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

d4vid is a jewel in the roughd4vid is a jewel in the roughd4vid is a jewel in the roughd4vid is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
You obviously haven't spent any of that time in Bangkok! Yeuch!
You obviously havent spent any time in the nice areas of Bangkok - its incredible

Go to the Ministry of Sound in Bangkok and its a different world
Old Feb 16th 2006, 9:58 pm

That is amazing, isn' it
We have heard similar tales of The Thai's ability to suss out what doctors sometimes cannot.
Magic
But this whole country offers daily magic if you are lucky enough to come here.
Come on.all you trying to make up your minds where to go for your vacations this year
Come and find the magic of Thailand

I hear its very hard to emigrate to Thailand. Although when we went we saw loads of British men that owned bars, there must be ways, I expect you need a fair bit of money to do it.

But I tell you one thing Wellington, if we were to book a holiday, we would come back. I wouldnt mind trying another part this time and spending longer.

2 weeks wasn't anywhere near enough.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 11:00 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest you visit Cambodia, you would probably enjoy that too. Although I haven't travelled extensively in Thailand, I am going for the third time in April for Songkron. Thailand is lovely but I didn't find anything that was so outstanding as to warrant calling it the best place on earth. Each to their own though.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I spent about 3 months almost entirely on Koh Phangan 13 years ago and left a little bit of my heart there (and my mind ) Still haven't managed to get back there, but one day I will.
Annette
Old Feb 17th 2006, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
I would suggest you visit Cambodia, you would probably enjoy that too. Although I haven't travelled extensively in Thailand, I am going for the third time in April for Songkron. Thailand is lovely but I didn't find anything that was so outstanding as to warrant calling it the best place on earth. Each to their own though.

Yes Cambodia is in my list of countries I would like to visit, I would also like to go to Sumatra.

The other country I would love to visit is Namibia.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 10:47 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

For those who have never been here. Do come. It will be one if the best holidays you have ever had. Even Bangkok is a great place. Though not all would agree. But personally i love it. I had my folks over last year also my brothers and heaps of friends from all over the world. They had come for my wedding. Not one of them had a bad time. Everyone went away with fond memories. Vowing to return again in the future. This was not just because of my wedding. I would personally stay away from Samui. But thats my opinion. Never been to Phuket but heard mixed reports. Some love it some hate it. Its a persoanlly choice. I would suggest anywhere around Krabi. Some of the most beautiful scenery in Thailand.IMHO
Old Feb 17th 2006, 12:28 pm
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome Country, Though its very Smelly on every corner of Bangkok with no sewage waste infrastructure the rain and humidity makes it even worse not to mention the road side Car/tuk tuk Pollution and the road side frying and cooking of Crockroaches and insects.

always looking around left rigght back and center in order to avoid being hit by a motorcycle or being stepped on by an Elephant.

People are good but its a miracle to find someone who can speak english.

A great destination to 'Just' I repeat 'Just' to Enjoy.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CasaNova
Awesome Country, Though its very Smelly on every corner of Bangkok with no sewage waste infrastructure the rain and humidity makes it even worse not to mention the road side Car/tuk tuk Pollution and the road side frying and cooking of Crockroaches and insects.

always looking around left rigght back and center in order to avoid being hit by a motorcycle or being stepped on by an Elephant.

People are good but its a miracle to find someone who can speak english.

A great destination to 'Just' I repeat 'Just' to Enjoy.
Oh Really. Why would you expect Thais to speak English. Do you speak Thai?
Old Feb 17th 2006, 2:24 pm
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Really. Why would you expect Thais to speak English. Do you speak Thai?

no I don't expect them to speak Arabic neither.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.