Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

What is it about Thailand?

What is it about Thailand?

Old Sep 9th 2005, 8:11 am
Professional Princess

Smile What is it about Thailand?

I thought that when I went to Australia, that nothing could top that as a holiday.

That was until I went to Thailand.

I only spent two weeks there, the streets were damaged from the Tsunami, it smelt of sewage, I even broke my leg trying to pole dance in Patong.

But there is something quite magical about this country that I cant quite put my finger on.

The pull to go back there is so strong, and two weeks is not enough.

I love the way you don't have to walk far to find somewhere to eat, the way everyone has a smile, its part of the currency.

I love the way you lose all track of time there and you find yourself leaving your watch behind because you don't need it.

The way you can sit in a bar and you don't need to say or do anything, you have your drink and totally chill and people watch.

I love seeing the locals on their mopeds, mother, father and child plus a dog in the basket, smiling at you as they go past.

Every country has its bad points, etc, but there is something about Thailand that really is quite magical.

And what I wouldn't give to go back for a month or who knows, even longer.

Did anyone else love it so much they could go back?

Old Sep 9th 2005, 9:47 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is it about Thailand?

You obviously haven't spent any of that time in Bangkok! Yeuch!

I go there every year for yacht racing and agree with you on many of the points. The food, the people, the general atmosphere is just great. It also helps that everything is cheap and, if you go local, uber cheap!
Have you been across the country to Koh Samui/Koh Pangan/Koh Tao? They're still pretty tourists (especially Samui) but not like Phuket. North around Chang Mai is also awesome. You can go white water rafting, mountain biking, hiking or go up to the golden triangle. Go from BKK to Chiang Mai on the overnight train- it's a hoot with all the other travellers!
Old Sep 9th 2005, 10:53 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
You obviously haven't spent any of that time in Bangkok! Yeuch!

I go there every year for yacht racing and agree with you on many of the points. The food, the people, the general atmosphere is just great. It also helps that everything is cheap and, if you go local, uber cheap!
Have you been across the country to Koh Samui/Koh Pangan/Koh Tao? They're still pretty tourists (especially Samui) but not like Phuket. North around Chang Mai is also awesome. You can go white water rafting, mountain biking, hiking or go up to the golden triangle. Go from BKK to Chiang Mai on the overnight train- it's a hoot with all the other travellers!

I havent stayed in Bankok, never fancied it.

I would love to go to Chang Mai.

Ive been looking at holidays to Thailand, not that I can afford it, but a girl can dream.

Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Professional Princess]I thought that when I went to Australia, that nothing could top that as a holiday.

That was until I went to Thailand.

I only spent two weeks there, the streets were damaged from the Tsunami, it smelt of sewage, I even broke my leg trying to pole dance in Patong.

But there is something quite magical about this country that I cant quite put my finger on.

The pull to go back there is so strong, and two weeks is not enough.

I love the way you don't have to walk far to find somewhere to eat, the way everyone has a smile, its part of the currency.

I love the way you lose all track of time there and you find yourself leaving your watch behind because you don't need it.

The way you can sit in a bar and you don't need to say or do anything, you have your drink and totally chill and people watch.

I love seeing the locals on their mopeds, mother, father and child plus a dog in the basket, smiling at you as they go past.

Every country has its bad points, etc, but there is something about Thailand that really is quite magical.

And what I wouldn't give to go back for a month or who knows, even longer.

Did anyone else love it so much they could go back?

Yep,... it is the place to go and the night scenes are remarkable. Overnight travel on the busses or trains are exciting and trips to the elephant village in Chiangmai are good fun. Thought the "Golden Triangle" was over played, simply a viewpoint over a river tributary. yawn yawn!
Enjoyed the "Tamyam" dishes after a few cold lagers...wow that ginger and lemon grass and birds eye chillis are a power house!!
The gay shows are spectacular with displays like the Sunday Paladium, increable colour and costunery......all men, mind you some were more obviously men in their movements than others, but you could easily be mistaken...
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:47 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnydays

Yep,... it is the place to go and the night scenes are remarkable. Overnight travel on the busses or trains are exciting and trips to the elephant village in Chiangmai are good fun. Thought the "Golden Triangle" was over played, simply a viewpoint over a river tributary. yawn yawn!
Enjoyed the "Tamyam" dishes after a few cold lagers...wow that ginger and lemon grass and birds eye chillis are a power house!!
The gay shows are spectacular with displays like the Sunday Paladium, increable colour and costunery......all men, mind you some were more obviously men in their movements than others, but you could easily be mistaken...
And nearly 4 months after I got back, I still want to go back again.

I made a 3 minute DVD of my holiday and put Willie Nelson's 'bring me sunshine' to it. I could think of no other record that would go with it.

If I won the lottery this week, hubby and I would go straight there and sort out Patong hospital with much needed equipment, we would replace the boats that the fisherman lost in the Tsunami and donate to the orphanages.

I felt proud to have met such people.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 9:30 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
And nearly 4 months after I got back, I still want to go back again.

I made a 3 minute DVD of my holiday and put Willie Nelson's 'bring me sunshine' to it. I could think of no other record that would go with it.

If I won the lottery this week, hubby and I would go straight there and sort out Patong hospital with much needed equipment, we would replace the boats that the fisherman lost in the Tsunami and donate to the orphanages.

I felt proud to have met such people.

I might go after two weeks!
Old Oct 21st 2005, 7:25 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CasaNova
I might go after two weeks!

This might help you decide.
Attached Thumbnails What is it about Thailand?-phi-phi-9.jpg  
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 8:27 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

This might help you decide.

Maybe pic's of some Hot Chicks can help.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 2:31 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I also love Thailand but as for the it being called the land of smiles, well I've been to a lot of S.E Asia and they are now way the frendliest.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 9:06 pm

Maybe pic's of some Hot Chicks can help.

Always happy to oblige.
Attached Thumbnails What is it about Thailand?-lady-boys-three.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 6:36 am
Banned

Always happy to oblige.

Nice stuff! but they look like prostitutes....?
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

perthukcharlie will become famous soon enough

Hi guys
Does anyone know how to live and work over in thailand? Running a bar sounds good, I would love to live there for 2 or 3 years in some beach place miles from anywhere, like phi phi. I was there for 2 weeks and it was the best place ive ever been to.
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 11:11 am

Nice stuff! but they look like prostitutes....?

They are prostitutes and they are men.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 11:31 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm lucky. I live here. I do live in Bangkok though. But dont knock it. Its a great city. Granted its smelly and polluted and has too much traffic . But its got character. Its a fun place to meet people and party. As for living here. If thats what you want. Then look into it. Dont give up everything and come here. Best to come first , make contacts and then return. LOS(Land of Smiles ) is a beautiful country. I have to leave next year to goto Oz. But i will be really sad to leave. But i can always return. My wife is Thai and we would like to make some money and reitre here. But in Chiang Mai and not Bangkok. Or even one of the islands.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

John Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond repute

They are prostitutes and they are men.
how'd yer know girl?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.