Wedding in Phuket

Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Wedding in Phuket

Hi guys. We're Brits living in Oz and loving it.

We plan to marry to marry early 2010 and have chosen Thailand for many reasons (for ceremony only, not legal marriage). We have spent over 7 months there in total and have a real love of the place and people; it is also between us and the UK which means that friends and family back there will find it easier to attend.

We originally were going to get married in Samui but the more we look into it the more we are thinking Phuket. It's cheaper and easier to get from both Oz and the UK now thanks to Air Asia, and this will mean some of our family who may have struggled with Samui can now get there.

Problem is, we've never been to Phuket on our Thai travels as we often go to places a little out of the way. We're doing a reccie trip in Feb for a week to check out venues and hotels etc and would love some ideas and suggestions for wedding venues, reception party and also companies who operate out there.

We don't want anything over the top; perhaps a beach or hillside wedding and a good spot for a party at night with a big Thai buffet, perfect!!! We obviously want to avoid Patong and the like but I guess equally don't want to take guests out to the sticks and limit their accomodation choices etc too much.

Any ideas would be warmly welcomed.

Thanks, Sam & Est
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:12 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wedding in Phuket

In terms of nice areas i.e. not over-touristy with nice beach and hillside backdrop - Cape Panwa is beautiful and Nai Harn too. You might want to take a look on your reccie. Both are down in the south of the island.

Up North - Mai Kao beach and the Laguna development - okay Laguna is a bit touristy but I still think it's nice - and very developed and manicured (built by a Singaporean!). Up North will also be handier for the airport - if that is important.

Early in the year should be fabulous weather too. It is absolutely glorious here at the moment - hot, sunny and breezy.

I'll also send you a PM later today.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:15 am
Account Closed

Cape Panwa pic...
Attached Thumbnails Wedding in Phuket-cape-panwa.jpg  
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:17 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, sounds fab - can I come, I've got an unworn wedding hat?
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:18 am
Account Closed

Nai Harn beach pic....
Attached Thumbnails Wedding in Phuket-nai-harn-beach-1.jpg  
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:02 am
Account Closed

A couple of other thoughts....

Chalong Bay is nice with nice little island views off the coast and turquoise waters. Nice views from Friendship Beach hotel and, more upmarket, the Evason resort. You can google both - they have websites. Phuket is quite a big island and it'll take you about an hour to get down to the south.

Another thought and it's closer to the airport is Ao Po in the North-East. This is very very quiet though but with nice views of the Phang Nga islands. There's a hotel called the Chandara Spa and Resort. I believe they've got a website. I've not been there but have driven past the entrance and it's a lovely spot. Only thing is you won't find much else there.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by katongkaren
A couple of other thoughts....

Chalong Bay is nice with nice little island views off the coast and turquoise waters. Nice views from Friendship Beach hotel and, more upmarket, the Evason resort. You can google both - they have websites. Phuket is quite a big island and it'll take you about an hour to get down to the south.

Another thought and it's closer to the airport is Ao Po in the North-East. This is very very quiet though but with nice views of the Phang Nga islands. There's a hotel called the Chandara Spa and Resort. I believe they've got a website. I've not been there but have driven past the entrance and it's a lovely spot. Only thing is you won't find much else there.
Thanks for the heads up KK... and a nod for the PM, nuff said!
And Seasider, all are welcome (as paying guests and rent a crowd!!!)

Thanks all,
S&E
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:54 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

We've only been once and kk is definitely your Phuket guru but we stayed at the Mangosteen, which is down the south end, up a hill (we went just after the tsunami!) and has lovely villas - great bathrooms!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 4:04 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Wedding in Phuket

We stayed at the lovely Thai-owned, non-chain Marina Resort in Phuket in a wonderful location on the headland of Kata and Karon beaches with glorious views of the sunset over the sea. It is set in beautiful tropical gardens with direct access to the beach - and has a superb vista of the bay. The Marina resort isn't isolated although it is peaceful - you can walk out of the main entrance and walk to the nearby village for shopping, bars and restaurants...or even play mini-golf at the nearby dino-park which the hotel also owns.

I've just looked at their website and they do offer traditional Western or a Thai Buddhist wedding ceremony...complete with an elephant procession! It sounds like a brilliant way to have a wedding!

Here's the links:

http://www.marinaphuket.com/home.html

Weddings:

http://www.marinaphuket.com/wedding.html

We stayed in one of the jungle rooms which was very nice indeed:

http://www.marinaphuket.com/jungle_view.html

Some very good Aussie friends of ours got married at the Four Seasons Hotel in Bali (the one on the beach) but I know it cost them a fortune!

Congratulations and Good Luck!

PS: Your wedding guests might also like to have a go at scuba diving...this can be done through the resort too:

http://www.marinadivers.com/

Last edited by Englishmum; Jan 20th 2009 at 4:11 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:15 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

We recently stayed at the Katathani Resort in Kata Noi. It is Thai owned and though a large resort feels a lot smaller as it is spread out and has 4 separate swimming pools (all large). The beach feels private as it is at the end of a road and is mostly only used by the hotel and a few other people who are staying in the area. There are some good restaurants nearby and Patong (if you like that sort of thing) is only 20 minutes up the road by tut tut.

In the two weeks that we were there they had a couple of weddings on the beach at about 5.30 in the evening and they all looked lovely.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wow! Thanks guys for some really great info, we'll spend a good while running through all the suggestions you've made.

Feel free to keep the fountain of knowledge flowing in the meantime!

S&E
Old Jan 21st 2009, 3:13 am
Account Closed

Englishmum, that Marina Resort looks lovely. I presume it's located on Kata-Karon border. I think Kata is quite good if you want somewhere a little bit livelier with more to do than down south.

Cape Panwa/Nai Harn/Rawai - full of all these old retirees propping up the bars
Old Jan 21st 2009, 3:16 am
Account Closed

It's a pity Wellington seems to no longer post on the Far East forum (I wonder why) as he has far more experience/knowledge of Phuket than I.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 3:28 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Englishmum, that Marina Resort looks lovely. I presume it's located on Kata-Karon border. I think Kata is quite good if you want somewhere a little bit livelier with more to do than down south.

Cape Panwa/Nai Harn/Rawai - full of all these old retirees propping up the bars

KK - yes the Marina resort is gorgeous and indeed it is on the headland between the Kata and Karon beaches. We went into the village - a nice easy stroll - and sneaked into Club Med on the other side of the headland, which was nowhere near as nice as the Marina resort and the Club Med rooms appeared to be tiny in comparison.

I've only just discovered that there is a 'sister' hotel to the Marina Resort, a boutique hotel called the Bamboo House, but no direct beach access.

http://www.bamboohousephuket.com/home.html

perhaps it's an option if wedding guests are on a tight budget....
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Englishmum
KK - yes the Marina resort is gorgeous and indeed it is on the headland between the Kata and Karon beaches. We went into the village - a nice easy stroll - and sneaked into Club Med on the other side of the headland, which was nowhere near as nice as the Marina resort and the Club Med rooms appeared to be tiny in comparison.

I've only just discovered that there is a 'sister' hotel to the Marina Resort, a boutique hotel called the Bamboo House, but no direct beach access.

http://www.bamboohousephuket.com/home.html

perhaps it's an option if wedding guests are on a tight budget....
It certainly looks very nice, we may take a look here next month on our reccie, thanks.

Does this exist in Phuket: An area/beach with a variety of accomodation and restaurants to suit mid to lower range budgets (but not scuzzy!) that's not overly busy or is limited to just one or two hotels and their restaurant/bars? I know we could find this on other islands such as Lanta and I guess even Phi Phi (though haven't been since Tsunami) and also Samui, but my complete ignorance at Phuket means I don't know where to start.

We are thinking we may have our wedding in a different location to where we will be based for most of the time we're there to allow us greater flexibility/choice in venue and also to ensure that we get to spend some valuable time with friends and family from the UK at the same time

Thanks all for your input so far

S&E

Last edited by sambo76; Jan 22nd 2009 at 1:06 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.