Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

British Passport for Child

British Passport for Child

Old Dec 20th 2012, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice
Default British Passport for Child

I am a British Citizen, married to a Thai wife and our 1.5 years old child is Thai, that means he was born in Thailand and has a Thai Passport.

My questions are:

1. Am I entitled to apply for a British Passport for my child?
2. Will my child have to surrender his Thai Passport once he receives the British Passport?
3. Can my child exit/enter Thailand using his Thai passport, but use the British Passport to exit/enter the destination outside of Thailand?

The reason I have proceeded to make a Thai passport for my child is so that he doesn't need to go through the immigration process for living in Thailand.

In the case that we move out of Thailand, it would be preferrable to have a British Passport for our Child.

I appreciate any comments.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 3:08 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Passport for Child

Originally Posted by Debowing
I am a British Citizen, married to a Thai wife and our 1.5 years old child is Thai, that means he was born in Thailand and has a Thai Passport.

My questions are:

2. Will my child have to surrender his Thai Passport once he receives the British Passport?
3. Can my child exit/enter Thailand using his Thai passport, but use the British Passport to exit/enter the destination outside of Thailand?

The reason I have proceeded to make a Thai passport for my child is so that he doesn't need to go through the immigration process for living in Thailand.

In the case that we move out of Thailand, it would be preferrable to have a British Passport for our Child.

Hi,

I can't help with the Thailand bit, but you may find the BE wiki useful with regard to your British passport question:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...en_Born_Abroad

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...hip_by_Descent
Old Dec 20th 2012, 5:14 pm
CM, LoS

wolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud of

My questions are:

Hi,

I have two kids with my Thai wife - they have both Thai and British passports. Neither country has a problem with dual nationality (ignore people that say they do - its a myth).

1. Yes - assuming you were married when the child was born or have married since, or on the birth certificate - or legally adopted the child. The other way around (this is slightly different the other way around (getting Thai nationality) - but not an issue for you).

2. Nope. Both my wife (Nationlised Thai) and my kids, half Thai/half Brit, haver both apssports - as said above both countries allow full dual national (the last PM brefore Yingluk - Abhisit - was dual national as he was born in the UK). The was (a long time ago) a rule that at 19 children had to chose, but could be dual national up until then - this went decades ago. There still remains a rule (often confused) whereby a child can legally renounce Thai citizenship as a dual national at 19 (but not before) - so worry not.

3. The easiest way is what my family all do. Enter Thailand with Thai passport. Enter UK with British passport. Leave UK with British passport. When leaving Thailand, use Thai passport, but (if asked) show British passport - this is sometimes required as there is no Visa in the Thai passport and the airline may be worried - this is all fine.

If a Thai enters Thailand on a foreign passport, they will be subject to the same laws as to overstay etc, so always use the Thai one.

British passports are expensive here (Thailand) though, as it is down in a convaluted way - apply via Hong Kong, sent back via UKPA - double the price (near enough). So, its a good idea to renew when on a trip back home if possible (or for those with dual nationality - use family back home and courier post it).

//EDIT:
Just wanted to add this link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Nationality_Law - look for "British Citizenship by descent" (as child not born in the UK - assuming you are not employed by the UK state - crown service).

Last edited by wolf5370; Dec 20th 2012 at 5:34 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 6:38 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

My questions are:

1) yes
2)no
3) yes

Got two kids with dual citizenship so I've done all this stuff with no problems at all . The most important thing is that you have your original long birth certificate to show to the embassy in BKK . Pay them their blood money and they send it off for you . We got ours back in about four weeks and that was four months ago so fairly recent. Left Thailand last week on the Thai passport and entered Saudi on the UK one . No problems.