Reload this Page >

UK Passport for my Thai child

UK Passport for my Thai child

Old Nov 29th 2004, 5:35 am
Just Joined

trevs48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question UK Passport for my Thai child

Hello

Can anyone help me with info on applying for a UK passport for my Thai born child here in Thailand. I understand it is easier if one is married to your partner but where can one go for info. Has anyone experience in similar situation - my child is 6 months old. Thanks
Old Nov 29th 2004, 11:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Passport for my Thai child

Originally Posted by trevs48
Hello

Can anyone help me with info on applying for a UK passport for my Thai born child here in Thailand. I understand it is easier if one is married to your partner but where can one go for info. Has anyone experience in similar situation - my child is 6 months old. Thanks
If you are not married to the mother, you need to apply for the child to be registered as a British citizen.

Unmarried fathers do not automatically pass on British citizenship, however under policy the Home Office will register as child of an unmarried British father as a British citizen provided application is made. And that the child would have been British if parents had been married.

Were you born or naturalised in the UK?

This page is from the website of the British High Commission in Canberra, but the British Embassy in Bangkok should have something similar - contact them straight away:
http://bhc.britaus.net/passports/pas...ult.asp?id=376

Jeremy
Old Nov 29th 2004, 5:59 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

I think if ur son born outside UK he won't be able to get british passport. Excepet if u or ur father did serviced with RAF.

I am indonesian, my son born in Doha. My son can get british passport because my father in law used to work for RAF.

My malaysian friend with scottish husband... their daugther born in Malaysia. Father can't pass on the british citizenship to the daugther.

I don't know how much my post can help u. Best check with ur local embassy.

All the best,
NOVITA
Old Nov 30th 2004, 12:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by novita77
I think if ur son born outside UK he won't be able to get british passport. Excepet if u or ur father did serviced with RAF.
Totally wrong.

Lots of British citizens are born outside the UK to a British citizen parent.

The problem normally arises if the British parent was *also* born outside the UK.

I am indonesian, my son born in Doha. My son can get british passport because my father in law used to work for RAF.

My malaysian friend with scottish husband... their daugther born in Malaysia. Father can't pass on the british citizenship to the daugther.
If he was born in the UK, the child is British (and it's automatic as they're married).

Where on earth did you hear otherwise?

I don't know how much my post can help u. Best check with ur local embassy.
He's already been given the relevant link that he needs.
In general terms, there's lots of advice about British citizenship at http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Nov 30th 2004 at 12:28 am.
Old Nov 30th 2004, 3:01 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Totally wrong.

Lots of British citizens are born outside the UK to a British citizen parent.

The problem normally arises if the British parent was *also* born outside the UK.

If he was born in the UK, the child is British (and it's automatic as they're married).

Where on earth did you hear otherwise?

He's already been given the relevant link that he needs.
In general terms, there's lots of advice about British citizenship at http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,

Probably I am wrong. But my friend told me they being told by the embassy here that (husband and wife both english), they can't pass the citizenship to the baby if the wife give birth in Doha. They are not very happy with it, the wife don't want to go back to england for the delivery.

NOVI
Old Nov 30th 2004, 5:19 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by novita77
Hi Jeremy,

Probably I am wrong. But my friend told me they being told by the embassy here that (husband and wife both english), they can't pass the citizenship to the baby if the wife give birth in Doha. They are not very happy with it, the wife don't want to go back to england for the delivery.

NOVI
Often advice from consular officials is misinterpreted, incomplete or just plain wrong. It sounds like that's the case here, unless there are special circumstances you've not mentioned (eg both parents are British by descent).

The *real* story can be found here:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind...tizenship.html

Tell your friends to read that and go straight back to the embassy if they feel they have been misadvised.

Jeremy
Old Nov 30th 2004, 6:42 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

One question that springs to mind is. Did you register the birth at the British Embassy? If you did then it should be straight forward for the passport. If you are currently in Thailand then i would suggest a better forum for you. its called thaivisa.com . There is many expats on this forum who will be able to answer your questions alot better. Cheers.
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:27 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Jockstar
One question that springs to mind is. Did you register the birth at the British Embassy?
Where a British father is not married to the mother (and the child doesn't get British citizenship from the mother), consular birth registration does not confer British citizenship.

An application must be made via the British mission to the Home Office in the UK for the child to be registered as a British citizen. The child will get a Certificate of Registration to that effect.

It's straightforward process, but won't happen unless an application is made.

Jeremy
Old Nov 30th 2004, 8:16 am
semarang

Originally Posted by JAJ
Often advice from consular officials is misinterpreted, incomplete or just plain wrong. It sounds like that's the case here, unless there are special circumstances you've not mentioned (eg both parents are British by descent).

The *real* story can be found here:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind...tizenship.html

Tell your friends to read that and go straight back to the embassy if they feel they have been misadvised.

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,

Will pass the link to them

Rgrds,
NOVI