Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Travelling alone in Bangkok = safe?

Travelling alone in Bangkok = safe?

Old Aug 29th 2007, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Tino is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travelling alone in Bangkok = safe?

Hey, I am going to be in Bangkok for a few days at the end of October. I am travelling alone on the way to Sydney and just wondered how safe/unsafe it was in Bangkok when alone?

I've read a few things about it saying its no more safe or no more dangerous than any other major city, yet whenever I speak to someone about it they seem to think its a bad idea and not safe for me.

Think it is just its reputation giving other people that impression though, or is it?!
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 3:29 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling alone in Bangkok = safe?

Hi there,
Its a few years since we've been to Bangkok ( I think 2001 was the last time we were there), and I never went alone, normally with my wife, but I never felt any less safe there than any other large city ... in fact I can think of a few that I would feel a lot less safe in. I'm sure it has its dangerous places (what cities dont have?), but if you're sticking to the tourist areas, exercise normal common sense, take normal common sense precautions, I would say you could have a great time in a fascinating city. Go ahead and enjoy yourself!
Old Sep 6th 2007, 3:57 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with the above- don't attract attention to yourself with an expensive camera hanging openly round your neck, don't have a large amount of cash on show when you open your wallet...all the usual precautions.
Not sure what you get your kicks doing in the evenings but if you're going out to the pubs etc make sure you go to one with lots of other people and can get a taxi from easily.
Bangkok is a safe place considering.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:33 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Bangkok is a great city. I lived there for just under 5 years. But as what has been said above. Just be careful as you would in any city. Where do you intend on staying. Sukhumvit? Kao San Rd? If you need anymore advice , then feel free to ask. One word of advice. Dont open the front door of a taxi and ask him , 'How much?" Just get in and tell him where to go. If he tries to barter. Tell him no. Meter! If he refuses, Get out and get another cab. Enjoy it. I love Bangkok. It's got so much character. Eat at the noodle/rice stands on the street. Great food and a fraction of the cost as a pissy restaurant. Again. Any questions then just ask.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

ianfra is an unknown quantity at this point

Safe: No better or worse than London in my opinion. Just common sense anywhere you go. I've been to Bangkok about 30 times and I've travelled the whole country. Never had a problem.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

Chokdee is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Bangkok is very safe. Living there for a year throught 2006 as a single female I never felt unsafe. Of course there are pickpocketers and scam artists and such...but not the kinda aggression you face in England. Ha...generally people are non confrontational and quite nice!

The only thing to watch out is money and your passport!!

I think I miss bkk!
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 5:35 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chokdee
I think Bangkok is very safe. Living there for a year throught 2006 as a single female I never felt unsafe. Of course there are pickpocketers and scam artists and such...but not the kinda aggression you face in England. Ha...generally people are non confrontational and quite nice!

The only thing to watch out is money and your passport!!

I think I miss bkk!

I miss Bangkok too. Though i also love Sydney.