Teaching in Thailand

Old Jun 5th 2010, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

LoreleiLee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in Thailand

I have phone interview for a teaching position in a school in Thailand. I have visited Thailand a few times and I love the country, however I know working there will be a lot different than being a traveller!

Has anyone here taught in Thailand before? Also my boyfriend wants to come over with me and I would like some advice on how he could do that? Could he come on my visa? Or will he have to apply for his own?

Any advice would be great!
Old Jun 7th 2010, 1:47 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Thailand

Originally Posted by LoreleiLee
I have phone interview for a teaching position in a school in Thailand. I have visited Thailand a few times and I love the country, however I know working there will be a lot different than being a traveller!

Has anyone here taught in Thailand before? Also my boyfriend wants to come over with me and I would like some advice on how he could do that? Could he come on my visa? Or will he have to apply for his own?

Any advice would be great!
Hello there, I am teaching in Thailand so I suppose i know a bit about things but it depends on what the school told you. I take it that the school is a proper school and not a language school so if that is the case and you want to be fully legal then you will need to have a letter with an offer of employment to take to the Thai embassy in the UK. Apply for a non-immigrant B visa. Forty pounds for a single entry or a hundred pounds for a multiple entry. I would suggest the multiple entry because it's valid for one year and if something goes wrong at the school you are not having to worry about visas too much. When you get to Thailand the school ( if they are any good) will then process your work permit. A lot depends on the school . A lot of places won't do anything for you. If you don't get the non-immigrant B you will probably have to get a tourist visa and then sort something out when you are here. I've heard that you can get one year O visas from the Thai consulate in Hull quite easily so that might be good for you. You won't get that in London though unless you have proper documentation.
It's always better to have a work permit but many people work without one however be aware that it is a crime. Need to know more about the school and what they have told you really. Regarding your boyfriend, he will need to sort himself out.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:23 am
Just Joined

David Mayes is an unknown quantity at this point

I taught in Thailand for a quick spell when I was younger. Your experience will vary alot depending on if you you are upcountry, in Bangkok, or on a tropical island like Phuket. If you teach at proper intenrational school you will also have a very different experience than you will if you teach tefl or in a government school. That being said I have met teachers from all of the above situations and pretty much everyone enjoyed their time here in Thailand. I would give it a try if I were you.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:25 am
Just Joined

David Mayes is an unknown quantity at this point

As for your boyfriend he could get a tourist visa, do border runs, there are many different options. There is a very helpful Thai visa website which has very active forums and can give you all of the various options your boyfirend would have for a long stay.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Grokkle is just really niceGrokkle is just really niceGrokkle is just really niceGrokkle is just really niceGrokkle is just really niceGrokkle is just really niceGrokkle is just really niceGrokkle is just really nice

As far as your boyfriend is concerned, if you are flying into Thailand and he doesn't already have a visa, he will automatically be given 30 days (not actually a visa on arrival, but a visa exemption) to stay in Thailand when you land at Bangkok.
There are a couple of other options open to him that have not yet been mentioned. One is for him to sign up for a one-year part-time Thai language course with one of the schools that offer a "free" Non-Imm Ed visa. The minimum study requirements are four hours of study per week with ongoing and regular assessment. They will provide all of the paperwork necessary for him to travel to Laos, or even Penang, to get the initial Non-Imm Ed visa, which then needs to be extended every 90 days by going to the Department of Immigration and paying 1,900 Baht.

You don't mention if he will be working here or not, but another option would be for him to sign up for a TEFL course here and get free help with a multiple entry Non-Imm B visa, but only if he does this from outside of Thailand, preferably before he leaves the UK.

Finally, I know that some TEFL course operators also offer a free non-Imm Ed as part of the TEFL course package, which is kind of double bubble - not only does he get a one-year visa, but also he will have a TEFL certificate which will enable him to get paid work and provide an additional income for both of you.

If I can be of any help regarding the above, just let me know and I'll do my best to advise or point you in the right direction.

Hope this is of use.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 4:27 am
Just Joined

Tommyuk2hk is an unknown quantity at this point

I worked in as a techer in Thailand in 2006 and it was easy to get accommodation etc. But you BF can only enter the country with a tourist visa, unless he gets employment out there, then he can get a working visa.

He can stay in Thailand with a tourist visa, do a few visa runs, until he finds work. Depending where you plan to live, the visa runs can be easy, but they are time consuming.