Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

This stupid law buying alcohol before 5pm

This stupid law buying alcohol before 5pm

Old Dec 3rd 2012, 5:00 am
CM, LoS

wolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud of
Default Re: This stupid law buying alcohol before 5pm

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Not actually tried Leo, not been in Thailand for over five years now. Thought you meant Beer Lao, which is pretty good, but had never seen it in Thailand.

Chang had always been my go to beer, nothing beats an ice cold 660ml.
Beer Lao is avaiable (in CM at least) - both light and dark. Small bottle in a bar is about the same price as a large bottle of Singha. Archa is quite good too - actually the cheapest of the main beers here. Chang is probably the most popular (especially with Thais it seems). Heineken and Asahi also available (yuk to the first, the other is nice but not so common) - and Tiger (from India I think).

Leo is my 'go to' beer, but Chang is my runner up.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:07 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Beer Lao is one of the best beers in the world. If it's available then nothing else should be touched.

Never really understood the snobbery with heineken though, it's one of the most consistent beers available in Thailand - you know what you are going to get. This can't be said of Chang, where one bottle can taste different to the next. It's also too strong for the climate imo, but that's just my preference.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:28 pm
CM, LoS

wolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Beer Lao is one of the best beers in the world. If it's available then nothing else should be touched.

Never really understood the snobbery with heineken though, it's one of the most consistent beers available in Thailand - you know what you are going to get. This can't be said of Chang, where one bottle can taste different to the next. It's also too strong for the climate imo, but that's just my preference.
No snobbery, I just don't like the taste of Heineken - never have. We sell it in my cafe, along with the other beer mentioned (except the Japanese one), but the only beers that sell well are - Leo, Chang and Singha. Beer Lao is quite expensive, so it sells very poorly (better sales in bar-land down town as a few bars sell it there for 100%+ mark up!). Heineken sells poorly in the cafe - a friends bar (local not in town bar area) sells well, but only to a couple of customers that drink like fish. In my cafe, it sells sparaodically - mostly German, Brit and American customers buy it - Thais drink the Thai stuff (or more often than not, water).

//Edit: Added...

Yes, Chang is really quite strong. The problem (?) in Thailand is that beer usually comes in the big 640ml bottles which encourages you to drink one glass after another - and its rare that one has to queue at the bar for a round. Thais drink it with ice (a lot of ice) so this slows them down. Thai men also sit in groups witha bottle between them - expats and tourists have a bottle each.

Last edited by wolf5370; Dec 3rd 2012 at 3:32 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 4:48 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolf5370
No snobbery, I just don't like the taste of Heineken - never have. We sell it in my cafe, along with the other beer mentioned (except the Japanese one), but the only beers that sell well are - Leo, Chang and Singha. Beer Lao is quite expensive, so it sells very poorly (better sales in bar-land down town as a few bars sell it there for 100%+ mark up!). Heineken sells poorly in the cafe - a friends bar (local not in town bar area) sells well, but only to a couple of customers that drink like fish. In my cafe, it sells sparaodically - mostly German, Brit and American customers buy it - Thais drink the Thai stuff (or more often than not, water).

//Edit: Added...

Yes, Chang is really quite strong. The problem (?) in Thailand is that beer usually comes in the big 640ml bottles which encourages you to drink one glass after another - and its rare that one has to queue at the bar for a round. Thais drink it with ice (a lot of ice) so this slows them down. Thai men also sit in groups witha bottle between them - expats and tourists have a bottle each.
None of my Thai friends really drank beer (although when they did it was heinekin, but that was only because it was on draft and far cheaper by the jug than anything by the bottle). Usually, if we were out drinking it was rum + soda/coke or whatever.

I live in Canada now, and you should see how much they charge for a shot of seng song in thai restaurants. Often you can get a decent single malt for the same price
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 5:11 pm
CM, LoS

None of my Thai friends really drank beer (although when they did it was heinekin, but that was only because it was on draft and far cheaper by the jug than anything by the bottle). Usually, if we were out drinking it was rum + soda/coke or whatever.

I live in Canada now, and you should see how much they charge for a shot of seng song in thai restaurants. Often you can get a decent single malt for the same price
Yeah, I had a Thai restaurant in the UK some 15 years or so ago. A bottle of Mekong (same as Sang Som) was 18 Gbp a litre bottle even back then, in the UK - I could buy it in Bangkok on trips for less than 1Gbp.

Most Thai men of middle age or above seem to drink Thai run and soda/water - younger men drink beer or 100 Pipers (JD or Jonny Walker when showing off) - and the drunks and poor drink Lao Kow. Incidently, they now sell Lao Kow in my local 7-11 at 35baht a bottle (small beer size).

When I shoot of to Burma every few months or so, I bring back a bottle of Burmese Whisky (special reserve is less than 4Gbp/Ltr) - which is real whisky (not rum) - it's an acquired taste - to which I have Can only bring back 1 bottle though and my Spanish friend and I usually polish it off the following Friday night. Oh, I like it with Oishi Lemon and Honey Tea.

God, makes me sound like a sot! I only drink every other weekend with friends - honest! Hic
Old Dec 5th 2012, 3:05 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Wolf, is Archa a new beer in Thailand? I don't remember seeing that one in Phuket when we lived there. Last time we went back (and probably for the last time) was in May this year. Mr bakedbean always liked Leo beer the best. He liked the price also
Old Dec 5th 2012, 5:49 am
CM, LoS

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Wolf, is Archa a new beer in Thailand? I don't remember seeing that one in Phuket when we lived there. Last time we went back (and probably for the last time) was in May this year. Mr bakedbean always liked Leo beer the best. He liked the price also
Not sure if it is a new brand, but it has only really appeared in Thailand in the last few years. Not a lot of bars serve it (don't know if it's available as draught) - but supermarkets and 7-11 stock it. I too prefer Leo, but go to Archa when Leo and Chang is out (sometimes happens in my local 7-11).
Old Dec 5th 2012, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Jackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to all

No its not. Yes they should.

It is quite a pleasant beer though and as I'm in Laos at the moment I've quaffed quite a few in the last few days. Also ridiculously cheap at about Baht 50-60 for a large bottle!
Old Dec 24th 2012, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Been supping Chang for the last few days in Phuket. Gonna try Leo as not a great fan of Chang/singha. Off to see the Gibbons today!
sf
Old Dec 24th 2012, 7:14 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Red horse is another one .
And years ago I remember the Thai Beer that was pure knockout fuel , the advert was that it hit you like a Thai boxer and they sponsored the boxing too.
It did just that.