British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Thailand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/thailand-154/)
-   -   Stop over Thailand Hotels ?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/thailand-154/stop-over-thailand-hotels-491532/)

Karen2000 Nov 4th 2007 4:53 am

Stop over Thailand Hotels ??

Hi

I am sure this has been asked many times but I really would appreciate some feedback. We live in NZ and are returning to Uk for a visit in May on the return journey we have decide to stop over in Thailand but as we have never been there before we are unsure of where to stay. We have perhaps 5 nights and have looked at Hua Hin as we are not very interested in night life !! we just want to have somewhere to chill out and relax . We are not completely ruling out Bangkok a it looks a very interesting city, we have been to Singapore and I have lived in HK so we have experience of Asia , we just need a gentle nudge in the right direction . The trip is costly and we want to avoid any mistakes but enjoy ourselves at the same time so , over to you !!
Many thanks Karen

bcw123 Nov 4th 2007 6:28 pm

Re: Stop over Thailand Hotels ??

have a look at trip advisor thailand. or thaivisa forum

Kooky. Nov 5th 2007 5:51 am

Are you prepared to take an extra flight or do you want somewhere accessible by road or ferry, Karen?

We're flying up to Bangkok at Christmas (from Singapore) and decided to take a car down to Hua Hin or Cha Am for - hopefully - some peace and quiet over Christmas itself before heading to Bangkok itself for New Year. Haven't been to either yet but we're favouring Cha Am for the beach, although we've been advised the hotel we booked has major building work about a yard from it so have cancelled. (That's the Casa Payaya.) Have been recommended the Baan Bayan at Hua Hin instead, British friends stayed recently.

You can also get to somewhere like Koh Samet with a little drive and a ferry crossing.

Koh Samui is nice if you are prepared to travel a bit further, but I would advise somewhere like Bophut over the east coast (e.g., Chaweng) if you want peace and quiet and no British touts trying to sell you timeshare. We loved the Zazen Boutique Resort. Koh Samui is worth the trip for the airport alone. :D Phuket is nice too.

I haven't been to anywhere more out of the way yet.

sawadee.com is another good site.

katongkaren Nov 5th 2007 8:02 am

Re previous poster, Phuket is certainly nice but bear in mind that rainy season there kicks in mid-April and it does get very rainy

Kooky. Nov 5th 2007 8:04 am

Thanks, katongkaren - was going to mention rain but can never remember which side is when. As you know, living in Singapore you learn not to worry about the rains. :)