Son in BK prison

Old Oct 5th 2015, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Confusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond repute
Default Son in BK prison

Our son is in prison in BK he was arrested for a domestic incident with his Thai GF and found to have 200 grams of weed on him. Stupid I know !!!! I am being told by the GF that he is in court on Wednesday and needs 10,00 bt fine to stay in the prison he is in rather than being transferred to another one. He has two small children with this girl and she is asking for food, electricity and rent. I have sent 140 euros within the last ten days. Is there any help from the government for this girl in Thailand? I don't understand about this fine on Wednesday because no court case has been heard. I have been told by the GF that an amount of 35,000 bt is needed for bail. This works out around 916 euros. Does this sound right ????
Old Oct 5th 2015, 10:14 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Son in BK prison

Has anyone informed the British Embassy or FCO that your son has been arrested?

https://www.gov.uk/government/world/...k#our-services

Until a reliable third party confirms the situation I wouldn't be transferring hundreds of Euros overseas.
Old Oct 5th 2015, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Confusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we have been onto the embassy in London and they have a file on him and know he is there. But I am getting so many conflicting messages regarding money from the GF and the embassy could not help with figures.
Old Oct 5th 2015, 11:11 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you can speak to your son directly I suppose it depends on how much you trust his girlfriend. How long has your son been detained? Unless it has been for several weeks it seems odd that his girlfriend is asking for money for food, electricity and rent. Without knowing the people involved it is difficult to make an informed judgement.
Old Oct 5th 2015, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

I agree. I don't know this girl but have some sympathy for her and the two small children (4 and 2 yrs) He has been detained for just over two weeks. She says he now has an overdue visa and will be charged 500 bt a day overstay....it just gets worse! So on top of the bail, the fine, the rent and food he will be looking for money for a visa and the overstay. And has no job.....maybe better if he stays there.
Old Oct 5th 2015, 11:21 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

I think BritinParis is absolutely right that you need to be sure you trust the GF. A domestic incident after which your son is bundled off to jail sounds to me like the GF is complicit in whatever is going on here. Be careful to confirm what she is telling you before sending her any money.
Old Oct 5th 2015, 11:28 am

Has the Embassy in Bangkok paid your son a consular visit? I would make this your top priority before doing anything else. Hopefully they will be able to pass on information to you about the situation. If nothing else it should keep the Thai authorities and your son's girlfriend honest or at least make them think twice.
Old Oct 5th 2015, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for the advice. the GF said he was going to beat her so she called the police and because he wouldn't shut up they arrested him and found the weed. He is 44 rs old and she is 26 and they are always arguing. Yes the GF said the Embassy in BK have been to see him but no-on is relaying information from Thailand. The London Embassy are helpful but not really informative. I am not sending anymore money until I get an official line on it. the last message from GF said he would be deported after a sentence of probably 4 months because of the overdue visa. she is now asking for help with childcare.
Old Oct 5th 2015, 2:03 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry about the overstay, that is the least of your worries.

As people have said, you need more information about what is actually happening. Have you considered contacting a Thai lawyer like Thailand Law Portal for U.K. Citizens | Siam Legal International

They should be able to give you better advice than any of us here, and they will also know the proper procedure.

Personally, I'd focus on your son's situation, rather than the GF, Thais always eat, she was eating before she knew your son, and she's no doubt eating right now. Another thing to consider is that she probably isn't going to be an expert on his legal situation herself. It also sounds a bit fishy, she called the police and they just happened to find 200g of weed. That's quite a lot and anyone with half a brain would keep it well hidden in Thailand and only have a small bit out.

Also under Thai law:

Police may conduct searches and seizures without a warrant when he has reasonable grounds to believe that the suspect has in his possession:

Articles that may be used to commit a crime;
The fruits of a crime;
Illegal items (like illegal substances).

Going by that, the police knew something.

How Deportation Works in Thailand - Hawryluk Legal Advisors

Probable that he would be deported for the overstay after serving his sentence. Something to bear in mind with Thai sentencing is that it may be the case of a fine or a jail term or both.

This might be useful:
Criminal Defense Lawyer Thailand | Marijuana Arrest Thailand | Attorney Thailand

so according to that he would be looking at up to one year in jail or a 10,000 baht fine, or both.

Hope that helps a little, I think you need to get some legal advice from a professional and then they can guide an help you.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Nonthaburi for the information.....This morning we are being asked to pay a fine of 5,000 bt by Thursday for a fine....she insists we send it to her via Western Union because she has to pay it in court???? I am losing faith in this GF. But I will follow your advice and take it from there.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 9:32 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know your situation, but if it were my son in a Thai prison I would be on a plane headed for Bangkok. I certainly would not be sending money to the woman who called the police in the first place. Nor would I be solely relying on her account of what's happening.

It sounds like a terrible position for you to be in. You want to believe her but it does sound really fishy, so I think you're probably right to be cautious.

Hopefully he will be released soon and can put the ordeal behind him.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 10:28 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confusedinfrance
Thank you Nonthaburi for the information.....This morning we are being asked to pay a fine of 5,000 bt by Thursday for a fine....she insists we send it to her via Western Union because she has to pay it in court???? I am losing faith in this GF. But I will follow your advice and take it from there.
Even if this were true I would have very little confidence that the 5,000 baht would end up being used to pay the fine. She had him put in prison, after all.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

taiwan_girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you been able to speak with your son? There is much good advice from others on this post. Has your son had his court date yet? If not, there is a possibility that he may be able to take care of matter by paying a "fine". Once it reaches the court, this option is more difficult.

As said above, having a good lawyer is probably needed. There may be two charges against your son - one for domestic and one for drugs? I hope things work out for him.

You mentioned that his visa has expired. There is a good chance that once he is released, he will have to pay the fine for the overstay and be deported and banned from re-entry for a year (I believe).
Old Oct 13th 2015, 10:34 pm
Hostage Negotiator

Nothing from OP since 6th Oct so maybe he has followed Dorothy's advice and gone out to Bangkok to deal with the problem. Please let us know how this gets resolved Confusedinfrance.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 10:42 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I know IVV.

Hoping to read that you have this resolved confusedinfrance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.