Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Russians in Phuket and other parts of Thailand

Russians in Phuket and other parts of Thailand

Old Jun 3rd 2011, 6:59 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Russians in Phuket and other parts of Thailand

We have a house in Phuket which we're still trying to sell (another shameless plug, heh heh). Several months ago, the management company that looks after the house, mentioned that the only sales enquiries they are getting these days are from Russians. Didn't think too much about it at the time.

Was back in southern Phuket this and last week and, crikey, what a difference since a few months back. Russians everywhere. Quite a few of the eateries now have the menu in Russian (as well as Thai and English). The southern part of Phuket always used to have a fair number of Brits, French and Germans. Hardly a German in sight now. All down to the plummeting Euro I suppose.

Anyone else seeing this in your part of Thailand?
Old Jun 4th 2011, 5:21 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russians in Phuket and other parts of Thailand

Originally Posted by bakedbean
We have a house in Phuket which we're still trying to sell (another shameless plug, heh heh). Several months ago, the management company that looks after the house, mentioned that the only sales enquiries they are getting these days are from Russians. Didn't think too much about it at the time.

Was back in southern Phuket this and last week and, crikey, what a difference since a few months back. Russians everywhere. Quite a few of the eateries now have the menu in Russian (as well as Thai and English). The southern part of Phuket always used to have a fair number of Brits, French and Germans. Hardly a German in sight now. All down to the plummeting Euro I suppose.

Anyone else seeing this in your part of Thailand?
Mostly in holiday destinations. Pattaya is the same and I've heard that they are in Samui now too.

Can't say I've seen any near me but then I'm not exactly on the tourist trail living where I do ( five minutes from the biggest Chinese temple in Thailand though ! ).

Strangely enough I've noticed Isrealis in shopping malls here recently trying to sell their dead sea salt skin products. Never seen that before.

The times are changing. Exchange rates for the traditional ( read white European, N. American etc ) visitor are shite and there are plenty of Russians, Chinese , Indians with loads of cash coming to Thailand. Expect to see a lot more of the same in the future.