Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Retiring to Chiang Mai with DUI conviction

Retiring to Chiang Mai with DUI conviction

Old Jun 1st 2013, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

bryan100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retiring to Chiang Mai with DUI conviction

I have recently been looking into the retirement visa option in respect of moving from UK to Chiang Mai. I will be able to fulfil all the necessary criteria except one.
I have only ever been in trouble with the police once (ban ,fine, probation), this was driving over the legal alcohol limit (fool) nearly five years ago. I understand that under UK rehabilitation rules that this will be spent after five years, but would of course still show up on any record given to Thai Immigration. The Thai Embassy site states no criminal record full stop. My question is, would a single spent DUI conviction stop me from pursuing the retirement visa option?
I would really appreciate some input on this.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 2:23 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to Chiang Mai with DUI conviction

Hi Bryan and welcome to the forum

I may be slightly out of touch on the subject, so I'll await any input to correct me, but..... I had the retirement visa. Got it in 2007 and gave it up (let it run out) in 2010. At no time did I have to profer any police report. In fact the Thai retirement visa is (was?) a very easy visa to obtain. A bit of faffing around every 90 days at Immigration but, apart from that, very simple.

Wolfie on here lives in Chiang Mai so I imagine he'll have a few things to input...better info than I can give. I'm sure he'll be along soon.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

Quackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really nice

Originally Posted by bryan100
I have recently been looking into the retirement visa option in respect of moving from UK to Chiang Mai. I will be able to fulfil all the necessary criteria except one.
I have only ever been in trouble with the police once (ban ,fine, probation), this was driving over the legal alcohol limit (fool) nearly five years ago. I understand that under UK rehabilitation rules that this will be spent after five years, but would of course still show up on any record given to Thai Immigration. The Thai Embassy site states no criminal record full stop. My question is, would a single spent DUI conviction stop me from pursuing the retirement visa option?
Driving offences do not count as 'criminal record'

If you get caught over the legal limit in Chang mai then it will cost you between 1,000 and 5,000 baht

TIT (This is Thailand) and you can always buy your O-A visa
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

Quackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really nice

Originally Posted by bryan100
The 'subject access response' from the police will not include DUI unless it caused death
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Quackers
The 'subject access response' from the police will not include DUI unless it caused death
Thanks to you both for the welcome and the information, it is much appreciated. My driving offence albeit reckless and stupid did not involve anybody else, except the local police of course.
Prior to your comments all the references to Thai visa "criminal record" that I could find have been very vague.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 3:42 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quackers
Do they still do this? The police have a special service for giving out police checks to visa applicants now.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Hello Alan, yes it appears that they do and it’s all a little bit confusing.
I have just read the Royal Thai Consulate Hull UK site and this says “You must not have a criminal record in your country of nationality or your country of residency or in Thailand. You need to contact your local UK Police Force and request a Subject Access Report”.
So I checked the ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers} Criminal Records Office UK thinking a spent conviction would not appear but no, it says “The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 is not applied to a Subject Access disclosure and therefore all convictions whether spent or unspent under the act will appear on the disclosure”. (Very helpful act then)
So I checked a couple of other sites, the Royal Thai Consulate Los Angeles and Canberra, they both say the qualifications are “Having no criminal record against the security of Thailand and the country of his/her nationality, or the country of his/her residence.”
So there is a disparity between UK Consulate definitions and those of USA and Australia.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 9:12 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

think you'll be okay on that one .

BTW , I got done in Thailand a couple of years back and it didn't cause me any problems . Might have had something to do with the way it was dealt with though.........