Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Retirement visa for Thailand

Retirement visa for Thailand

Old Feb 23rd 2015, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

mrs k is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retirement visa for Thailand

Hi - I'm new to this forum, so please bear with me if my question seems naive.

My OH and I retired a couple of years ago and would like to move to Thailand from the UK. Having looked at various websites for information about the Retirement or non-immigration 'O' visa, I'm wondering if one is obliged to use an agency to undertake this procedure? It does seem, on the face of it, to be complicated, but if taken one step at a time I feel confident that we could do this ourselves - but I wondered if there needed to be some sort of proof, such as stamped letterheads etc, to legitimise it.

Cheers for any advice given.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 7:58 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement visa for Thailand

Hi and welcome to the forum

When we did ours, we used an agency in Phuket where we were intending to live, and they did it all very smoothly. We also needed assistance in opening bank accounts which was not very straightforward.

Anyway, I'm probably a bit out of touch as I left Thailand almost 5 years ago, so maybe someone can give you more current information.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 5:01 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can do it yourselves, it's not really that difficult, once you have your original entry visa from the UK the best thing to do would be to go to your local immigration office in Thailand and ask them exactly what they want to see, as different offices require different things for the one year extension. Be aware of the time that you have to have the 800,000 in a Thai bank account before you apply.
But on the other hand it could be easier to have someone else do it all for you. Up to you really because there is probably a bit of running around and waiting involved. Just shop around to find the best price.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 1:04 am
Just Joined

Sometimewoodworker is an unknown quantity at this point

You are not restricted to the ฿800,000 in the bank option, you ca also provide proof of income ฿65,000 per month or a combination of the 2.
If you go for the ฿800,000 in the bank option it must be there for 2 months before you apply for the first time then after that 3 months for each renewal. If you go for the combination method there is no seasoning requirement.

Another point is that you do not need an OA (1 year) visa from the UK you can get an O (3 month) visa and then get a 1 year extension of stay. The O visa is cheaper and easier to get than the OA.

Many people do the application themselves, the procedure is not difficult.

Last edited by Sometimewoodworker; Mar 20th 2015 at 1:07 am. Reason: Additional information