Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Retire to Pattaya, Thailand

Retire to Pattaya, Thailand

Old Jul 26th 2005, 11:48 am
Just Joined

galt67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retire to Pattaya, Thailand

I've seen A LOT of interest in retiring to Thailand so I developed a 'basic' guide to retiring to Pattaya, Thailand.

You can find it here: http://home.earthlink.net/~galt1967/

Hope you find it helpful!
Old Jul 26th 2005, 3:31 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retire to Pattaya, Thailand

Originally Posted by galt67
I've seen A LOT of interest in retiring to Thailand so I developed a 'basic' guide to retiring to Pattaya, Thailand.

You can find it here: http://home.earthlink.net/~galt1967/

Hope you find it helpful!

Why Pattaya? There is far better places in Thailand. IMHO.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

galt67 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Why Pattaya? There is far better places in Thailand. IMHO.
Good question! As Pattaya is NOT everyone's 'cup of tea'

Many instead Chiang Mai (cooler weather) or Phuket (nicer beaches), for example, but having traveled throughout the Kingdom I believe Pattaya offers the best COMBINATION of:

1--Scenery (beach, hilly terrain)
2--Price (food, housing at ALL price points)
3--Easy transportation (easy to walk or ride the baht bus)
4--Close to Bangkok (within two hours of the airport)
5--Large, diverse expat community
6--Quality medical care (multiple hospitals nearby catering to Westerners)

I think that offers a good start for my favortism of Pattaya
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:36 am
Banned

massagelondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bangkok taling chan home stay homestays homestay home stays Thailand

I would rather stay in Bangkok - I don't particulary like beaches and all the tourists and tourist industry.

Unfortunately they push prices up for property, food and services.

I can get a quality therapeutic thai massage in Bangkok (on the Thonburi side - on the other side of the Chao Phraya river) for some 250 baht for 2 hours from the best therapists in Thailand - in Pattaya it would be 2 - 3 times more expensive and no comparable in quality at all.

There is still reasonably priced land to buy around Taling Chan floating market area - where you can feel like living in the traditional thai willage.

There are several of nice homestays in that area - old thai teakwood houses on stilts just overlooking slowly moving canals. You are in the middle of verdent fruit orchards, vast lush gardens and flower groves.

There is nothing comparable to it in the whole Thailand - a dream retirement destination.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 8:21 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Been to Pattaya a couple of times to play football. Wasn't very impressed. I like Bangkok also. But if i had to choose and money wasnt an issue. It would be one of the islands. NOT Samui though. These places IMHO are not like Thailand. But like Spain where all the tourists go. Costa Brava etc etc. Each to their own though. Just not my idea of a nice place to retire.
Old Jul 30th 2005, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

xJenniex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retire to Thailand

Hi

Is there anyone on the forum who could tell me about living/retiring to Hau Hin.

Thanks for any info.

xJenniex
Old Jul 30th 2005, 8:43 pm
Banned

massagelondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bangkok taling chan home stay homestays homestay home stays Thailand

Originally Posted by xJenniex
Hi
Is there anyone on the forum who could tell me about living/retiring to Hau Hin.
Thanks for any info.xJenniex
It's a small and compact tourist town - nice as a holiday destination but I wouldn't stay there forever unless you are beach-addicted. Not to much to do in the evenings.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 7:06 am
Freedom!

Originally Posted by xJenniex
Hi

Thanks for any info.

xJenniex

Check here for more info and questions etc.
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showforum=34
Old Nov 1st 2005, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

perthukcharlie will become famous soon enough

[
hi there i would love to work and live in thailand for a few years does anyone know how i can do this weekout been with a thai girl ?
Old Nov 7th 2005, 11:22 am
Freedom!

Originally Posted by perthukcharlie
[
hi there i would love to work and live in thailand for a few years does anyone know how i can do this weekout been with a thai girl ?

I dont quite unedrstand the question. What are your skills? Could you offer something that so,e Thai couldnt? Can you dive? Can you teach? You have options but we need more info.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 12:21 am
massage therapy London

londonthai has a brilliant futurelondonthai has a brilliant futurelondonthai has a brilliant futurelondonthai has a brilliant futurelondonthai has a brilliant futurelondonthai has a brilliant futurelondonthai has a brilliant future
Default 3 BR traditional thai teak wood house Bangkok Thailand rent homestay Thai home stays

to be a teacher now you need a degree, but there are jobs around in the travel/hospitality industry.

you might apply as well for a business visa if you are going to invest some money and open your own company in thailand
Old Nov 13th 2006, 7:05 am
Freedom!

o be a teacher now you need a degree,

You were always supposed to have a degree to teach. But you can get a job without a degree. I know, i've done it and many of my friends have also. I lived there for 5 years and worked 4 and a half. It can be done. But with the new visa rules its more difficult.