Reload this Page >

Restaurant suggestions for Thailand

Restaurant suggestions for Thailand

Old Jan 2nd 2003, 12:29 am
Just Joined

gfrost is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Restaurant suggestions for Thailand

Greetings,

I'm looking for some special restaurants in Bangkok, Chiang Mai or Koh Samui. Price is not a problem, however I'd like some excellent Thai food or some special atmosphere.

Also...any must do's in Koh Samui or Chiang Mai?

Thanks
Old Jan 2nd 2003, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Restaurant suggestions for Thailand

Originally posted by gfrost
Greetings,

I'm looking for some special restaurants in Bangkok, Chiang Mai or Koh Samui. Price is not a problem, however I'd like some excellent Thai food or some special atmosphere.

Also...any must do's in Koh Samui or Chiang Mai?

Thanks
There are hundreds of restaurants in BKK. I see you say price is no object, but the best local restaurant that we found was a cheap local called Suda. It is located on a little back street - Sukhumvit soi (number) 14. We would have a full meal, around 4 or 5 dishes and a few bottles of beer ant it would come to around THB500-600. It is an open corner restaurant with outdoor tables. Do not be put off by appearances, some times you have to wait for a table, A very popular expat hang out. Can not recommend it highly enough.

If you go to Chiang Mai, you have to do a jungle trek. It is an over nighter or a 2 nighter. You will trek through the jungle to a local village - the one we went to was called Lahu. There is no electricity or running water (bathe in a cold stream) and you stay with a local family. They will cook you a meal in their woks, have beers waiting and the children will do a dance for you - take plenty of small change with you. The next morning you will trek to another little village where you will do an Elephant Trek down to the man made rafts, to raft down the river (nothing wild) to a Temple. Then back to Chiang Mai. Take a jumper as it gets cold at night. I think the elevation was at about 6000ft above sea level - up in the mountains.

Have fun
Old Jan 25th 2003, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Restaurant suggestions for Thailand

Originally posted by suebo
There are hundreds of restaurants in BKK. I see you say price is no object, but the best local restaurant that we found was a cheap local called Suda. It is located on a little back street - Sukhumvit soi (number) 14. We would have a full meal, around 4 or 5 dishes and a few bottles of beer ant it would come to around THB500-600. It is an open corner restaurant with outdoor tables. Do not be put off by appearances, some times you have to wait for a table, A very popular expat hang out. Can not recommend it highly enough.

If you go to Chiang Mai, you have to do a jungle trek. It is an over nighter or a 2 nighter. You will trek through the jungle to a local village - the one we went to was called Lahu. There is no electricity or running water (bathe in a cold stream) and you stay with a local family. They will cook you a meal in their woks, have beers waiting and the children will do a dance for you - take plenty of small change with you. The next morning you will trek to another little village where you will do an Elephant Trek down to the man made rafts, to raft down the river (nothing wild) to a Temple. Then back to Chiang Mai. Take a jumper as it gets cold at night. I think the elevation was at about 6000ft above sea level - up in the mountains.

Have fun
Suebo that all sound great what a trip that would be, the only thing is is it safe ??????
:scared:
Old Jan 25th 2003, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Restaurant suggestions for Thailand

Originally posted by jeannie
Suebo that all sound great what a trip that would be, the only thing is is it safe ??????
:scared:
We didn't have any problems at all. There are a lot of little villages around and you are not close enough to the Myanmar border to worry about the Burmese.