Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Regional food variations

Regional food variations

Old Mar 10th 2011, 8:15 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Regional food variations

Had our last night in Thailand at a hotel in Trang two nights ago. Successfully managed to order a couple of Pad Thais together with a plate of Puck Boong. We got a little shock when the Pad Thais arrived. Just totally different to what we've had in Phuket before.

Seemed to be rice noodles (glass noodles) some shrimps, and some very tasty salted dried fish, some nuts, but ALL covered in an omelette dome And it was all quite bland too. We kinda mixed in the Puck Boong and shaked a generous measure of chilli powder into it, and that livened it up a little bit. Very strange. Or maybe it's the Phuket ones that are out of kilter?
Old Mar 15th 2011, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

firefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nice
Default Re: Regional food variations

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Had our last night in Thailand at a hotel in Trang two nights ago. Successfully managed to order a couple of Pad Thais together with a plate of Puck Boong. We got a little shock when the Pad Thais arrived. Just totally different to what we've had in Phuket before.

Seemed to be rice noodles (glass noodles) some shrimps, and some very tasty salted dried fish, some nuts, but ALL covered in an omelette dome And it was all quite bland too. We kinda mixed in the Puck Boong and shaked a generous measure of chilli powder into it, and that livened it up a little bit. Very strange. Or maybe it's the Phuket ones that are out of kilter?
I dont like the food in phuket mind you I dont like phuket. When I was there I found a nice place on the main street which was a shop in the day and a food place at night and full of local people that was the best place in phuket
on a seconed note I would neve go there again
firefox
Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:45 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

How hi-so was the hotel? Some places tone down the pet-ness quite a bit if they get a lot of foreigners in. Especially as many thai's are quite snooty about their spicy food and are often under the mistaken belief that nobody but them can eat it.

Oh add having an omelette with Pad Thai is fairly normal.

Last edited by Alan2005; Mar 15th 2011 at 11:49 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 4:03 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by firefox
I dont like the food in phuket mind you I dont like phuket. When I was there I found a nice place on the main street which was a shop in the day and a food place at night and full of local people that was the best place in phuket
on a seconed note I would neve go there again
firefox
A man after my own heart ( see previous posts ) !
Old Mar 16th 2011, 4:06 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really like those glass noodles that much, don't really like Pad Thai though. Have you ever come across pink noodles on a pad thai, that is a bit off putting. And I'm sure I've seen green ones as well.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005
How hi-so was the hotel? Some places tone down the pet-ness quite a bit if they get a lot of foreigners in. Especially as many thai's are quite snooty about their spicy food and are often under the mistaken belief that nobody but them can eat it.

Oh add having an omelette with Pad Thai is fairly normal.
the thing is that in hotels they don't make the sort of Thai food that Thais will eat on an everyday basis. So things do get toned down.

Many Thais can't eat spicey food too though !
Old Mar 16th 2011, 9:58 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Ah... but I never told you about the first Trang stop on the way up to Phuket when we ordered a green chicken curry successfully and automatically said Pet Pet, as we do in Phuket, and blimey....mistake... it was like rocket fuel
Old Mar 16th 2011, 10:32 am

Ah... but I never told you about the first Trang stop on the way up to Phuket when we ordered a green chicken curry successfully and automatically said Pet Pet, as we do in Phuket, and blimey....mistake... it was like rocket fuel
ah , but Trang isn't so used to foreigners and there ways so they just gave you what you ordered rather than thinking that they knew better than you what you really wanted.
What I meant before about the food in hotels wasn't so much about chile levels but more that the sort of food you get in hotels isn't really the sort of food that Thais would normally eat. IME they tend to eat the same stuff most days and it is the sort of stuff that would not be on a menu. A bit like if you saw what an everday Indian family ate the chances are that they are not eating what you would find on a menu in a restaurant.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:41 am

Yes you're right there. I'm digressing wildly here, heh heh, but I got a Middle East cookbook once and there's some fantastic spicy dishes in the Arabian Gulf section using a spice mix called baharat. Really unusual taste but very very nice.... but presumably this is what the Arabs eat at home, cause you never see any of the dishes in the restaurants out there. Though you do get some fantastic Indian curries in the Gulf. Anyway... a bit orf topic... sorry
Old Apr 5th 2011, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

GraniteGuy is a name known to allGraniteGuy is a name known to allGraniteGuy is a name known to allGraniteGuy is a name known to allGraniteGuy is a name known to allGraniteGuy is a name known to allGraniteGuy is a name known to allGraniteGuy is a name known to allGraniteGuy is a name known to allGraniteGuy is a name known to allGraniteGuy is a name known to all

I've got so used to Central style food that everything gets a bit strange anywhere south of Hua Hin. I prefer Southern style to north-eastern style though.

ALL of it beats bangers and mash
Old Apr 6th 2011, 9:36 am

I like bangers n mash comfort food.... Shepherds Pie, Fish n Chips, Lamb Chops but orf topic again
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 10:32 pm
Happy with my lot For now

anne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to all

Looking for a recipe for red Thai curry. I like spicy food so would appreciate one with a bit of a zip to it. I can get red Thai curry paste,fish sauce and coconut milk so looking for the Thai secret ingredients. Thanks.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 6:58 am

Don't have a recipe but I usually buy the Thai mixes from the supermarket and just add some extra chilli to it.