Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Planning to move to Thailand

Planning to move to Thailand

Old Sep 22nd 2014, 11:46 am
Just Joined

Jip Parnwell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Planning to move to Thailand

Please could you give me some advices? I hold two passports; one is Thai and the other is UK Passport as I have been living and working in England for the past 34 years. I am planning to move to Thailand with my partner who is English. However, we are planning to keep the house in England as the fixed address.

Please could anyone give me an advice regarding rule & regulation in keeping NHS Healthcare? Do we have to live in UK for 6 months in a year to qualify for NHS treatment when we return to UK in our old age?

Many thanks
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 11:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning to move to Thailand

Welcome to BE.

You may be better off asking this in the Moving Back to the UK forum, but as far as I'm aware, you'd only be eligible for emergency healthcare in the UK, unless you are actually resident there.

So if you move back permanently, you could use the NHS freely, but if you only live there for a few months each year then you wouldn't be considered resident and would have to pay for any non-emergency treatment.

HTH, good luck with the move.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Jip Parnwell is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much for your advice. I will check on the Moving Back to the UK forum.

Kindest regards
Jip
Old Sep 24th 2014, 5:19 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Technically you should be a resident, but in practice, how do they know where you live if you still have a house there.