Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Opening a small business in Thailand?

Opening a small business in Thailand?

Old Jul 4th 2013, 6:10 am
Just Joined

NikkiV is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opening a small business in Thailand?

I'm working on starting a retail business in Thailand and have British nationality (birth nationality is South African). I do not have a working visa as I have travelled here with my husband on his expat work visa.

What are the legal implications in starting a Thai business here vs. a UK-based business that I run from here. Keeping in mind that the target market is Thailand, hopefully expanding to Asian countries.

Thanks
Nicole
Old Jul 4th 2013, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

wwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud of
Default Re: Opening a small business in Thailand?

I don't have any experience with this. As far as I know, you need to have a Thai partner to deal with official paperwork, recruitment and tax issues, which are a bit complex. Since you are now in Thailand, it might be a good idea to ask some Thai friends of your own or hubby to find more current information or contact any foreigners running similar business in the country.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 1:37 am
Just Joined

NikkiV is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wwinit
I don't have any experience with this. As far as I know, you need to have a Thai partner to deal with official paperwork, recruitment and tax issues, which are a bit complex. Since you are now in Thailand, it might be a good idea to ask some Thai friends of your own or hubby to find more current information or contact any foreigners running similar business in the country.
That's the feedback I've got from Thai people over here too so was hoping for a different response! If that's the case, what are the implications of opening a UK co and trading from Thailand? I assume that's not really legit since I wouldn't be adding to the Thai economy?
Old Aug 5th 2013, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Jackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to all

You can own a business in Thailand but you may not be able to work in your business as you need a work permit to work and you won't get a work permit if what you do is a job restricted to Thais. You will also have to employ a certain number of Thais, 4 I think, to get a work permit.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 11:13 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of business are you planning to do?
Old Aug 9th 2013, 10:45 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Any way you can do things on the QT ?