One night in Bangkok

Old May 3rd 2013, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

KLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to all
Default One night in Bangkok

Well, 3 actually but you get the idea. Coming over from Manila Friday 12th July for the Man Utd game the following evening.

Any recommendations for bars, restaurants gratefully accepted.

Something laid back, bar wise, a few beers and a few games of pool will do the job nicely.

Food wise, anything goes from street food to fine dining, it's all good.

May possibly have one spare ticket (will know nearer the time, face price obviously), so if anyone local is interested and hasn't got one, please don't hesitate to post a reply.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 4th 2013, 4:02 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One night in Bangkok

Whenever I had people visit who only had one or two nights in bangkok, on at least on of them I would take them to the following places:

1 - Start off at the banyan tree. Early enough to see the sunset, but not for too long because it's pricey.

2 - Go to a regular ex-pat bar like the barbican (which I heard has shut now) or the irish exchange on convent (which has good street food nearby - I liked the khao man gai place right outside)

3 - Head up to pat-pong or somewhere like it for beer and pool until until late.

This starts off hi-so gets more lo-so the more drunk you get.
Old May 4th 2013, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

KLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to allKLPlates is a name known to all

Much appreciated, Alan, I'll take a look. Thanks :-)
Old May 5th 2013, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

Quackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really nice

Originally Posted by KLPlates
Much appreciated, Alan, I'll take a look. Thanks :-)
If your new to the Bangkok scene then a word of warning DON'T GO TO PATPONG !! you will get ripped off.

Laid back bars and Pool are everywhere in the tourist areas
Old May 5th 2013, 4:27 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quackers
If your new to the Bangkok scene then a word of warning DON'T GO TO PATPONG !! you will get ripped off.

I dunno. That's never been my experience. To be honest I think you're more likely to be ripped off in the area around the grand palace.

The way I see it is that if you avoid the go-go bars and ignore anyone asking if you'd like to see lady show you'll be fine. There are loads of normal tourist bars. Music cafe is fun if you can get a table outside and watch the occasional farang guys walk past with their purchases for the evening. I didn't go there regularly, but it's somewhere lots of people wanted to experience on their visit.

If they wanted more classy there was titanium in sukhumvit 22 (ish, can't remember exactly), although last time I went it wasn't as good, or maybe I'm getting old.
Old May 5th 2013, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the heads up, although if I fall for getting ripped off after having spent many months in Manila then I'll only have myself to blame

Splendid, they're at somewhat of a premium in Manila.

Alan, looks like that Irish pub re-opened as Molly Malone's, we'll give it a go while we're out and about one night.
Old May 6th 2013, 8:56 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I would stick to Sukhumvit....

Although just as touristy as the other places mentioned, it isn't as down right seedy as they are..

There are some cracking bars on Soi 11 (Aussie and Irish one almost opposite each other). Soi 33/3 has 3 (Robin Hood on Sukhumvit, Dubliners and Royal Oak further into the Soi)..

5 good bars, decent booze selection and safe as houses Western pub fare...

Of course, if you fancy the seedy aspect, there are plenty of places 5 mins tuk-tuk ride away....
Old May 8th 2013, 4:58 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You also wrote, "This starts off hi-so gets more lo-so the more drunk you get." It can be pretty hard to avoid the Patpong go-go bars and lady shows "the more drunk you get."

Better to start off at Patpong and move on while you still have your wits about you.

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The way I see it is that if you avoid the go-go bars and ignore anyone asking if you'd like to see lady show you'll be fine.
Old May 8th 2013, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Personally, I would stick to Sukhumvit....
Many Thanks. Just booked in at the Radisson Suites. Is that in the general area of the hostelries you describe?

Edit: Got off my lazy backside and Google Mapped. Looks like we're in the right spot, cheers.

Last edited by KLPlates; May 8th 2013 at 9:03 pm.
Old May 9th 2013, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

Quackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really nice

Originally Posted by KLPlates
Many Thanks. Just booked in at the Radisson Suites. Is that in the general area of the hostelries you describe?

Edit: Got off my lazy backside and Google Mapped. Looks like we're in the right spot, cheers.
If it's Radisson Suites on Sukhumvit soi 13 then you're in the right area

Sukhumvit road has streets (soi) even one side and odd number the other. Soi 11 has some good clubs (Q bar, Bed Supper, Climax) and a few good bars (Aussie bar). Soi 7/1 has a few massage places and a good music bar (Bangkok Beat). Soi 7 has the infamous 'beer garden' (full of freelance girls). Soi 5 has Gullivers sports bar which has many pool tables and shows all the footy games.
Don't go down soi 3 as that is Arab soi

Across the road (Sukhumvit Road) from soi 3 is soi 4 which is full of good beer & pool bars and also the NEP (Nana Plaza) which is full of Gogo bars.

I guess you will need more time
Old May 9th 2013, 8:55 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

3 nights is just enough time to scratch the surface of on one of the greatest cities on Earth !!

sure you'll have a blast . I'm jealous . I won't be there till June 2014.
Old May 9th 2013, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

If it's Radisson Suites on Sukhumvit soi 13 then you're in the right area
That's the one, Quackers, looks like you've sorted our itinerary, cheers

Whilst my travelling companions will doubtless be grateful for advice on the subject of what might best, and loosely, be described as 'leisure consultants', I feel obliged to point out that I, myself, am simply a man of the cloth. The green beize that is ;-)

Last edited by KLPlates; May 9th 2013 at 12:39 pm.
Old May 21st 2013, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

HannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant future

if you're in Bangkok have to go to Koh San Road, that's where a lot of the bars are, I was there when it was the world cup and we watched many games in the pubs, they also have markets on in the day with a lot of places to eat varying from sushi, to traditional thai, to street food.
Old May 21st 2013, 9:36 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HannahJ38
if you're in Bangkok have to go to Koh San Road, that's where a lot of the bars are, I was there when it was the world cup and we watched many games in the pubs, they also have markets on in the day with a lot of places to eat varying from sushi, to traditional thai, to street food.
Probably the worst place visit if you are in the fabulous city of Bangkok. IMO.
Old May 22nd 2013, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HannahJ38
Khao san road markets are just full of shit that the Thais buy from Chatuchak market and double/treble the price before selling to tourists.

Sukhumvit road (between soi 5 and 13) is a market during the day (crap as above) and at night turns into multiple street bars & restaurants. The food and the life is great (after a few beers) between 2am and 6am

Soi 7 has a Thai (open air) restaurant which is favored by locals and ex-pats

Gullivers on soi 5 is good for mix of Thai and European (but not the best)

Aussie bar on soi 11 also good for mix of foods

Soi 4 (opposite soi 3) has lots of Thai & Western food restaurants and lots of good bars with pool:
Morning Night (great music and busy)
Stumble Inn (pool & sport (Man city fan)
Zen
Hillary 4 (pool)
Bar 4 (pool)
Hillary 2 (pool & live music)
Strikers (pool & sport)
Hillary 1 (pool)

There are plenty of places from street food to quality steaks (Landmark Hotel) around Sukhumvit so no need to move from that area (during a 3 day stay)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.