Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Moving to Thailand with the family

Moving to Thailand with the family

Old Mar 22nd 2017, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

taiwan_girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Thailand with the family

As mentioned above, the visa situation is something that you need to sort out. Thailand has been getting a bit more strict on "visa runners" (those who do day trips across the border to get a new visa stamp), and visas in general. Less than 50 years old, you will not qualify for a retirement visa. Definitely do some research on visas. Work permits can be difficult to get - basically, you have to prove that you are doing a job that cannot be done by a Thai (or you can set up your own company, but if that is the case, I believe that you have to employ at least 4 Thai nationals).

International schools - there are "international" schools in all the big population centers. They run the scope from a "true" international school where the majority are expat children, college like campuses, and prices that run 300,000 baht and up/per student/per year. On the other end are schools where the only international thing about them is the word in their name. Kids are quite adaptable, but if your kids do not know any Thai, putting them in a Thai majority school will be a very steep learning curve.

As for location, some good ideas above. The biggest expat spots for families are probably BKK, Chiang Mai, and Phuket. There are some expat families in Pattaya (there are some good areas for families, but you have to search). A good starting point would be to contact various international schools in areas you are thinking of living, ask if there is a parents group you could contact and talk to parents about where they live, etc.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Thanks for your reply, but I am 86 years of age, and lived in Ubonratchathani from 2007 till 2011 with my Thai Wife. They have tightened the regulations as you say, but with a little ''crawling'' to The immigration, I understand some of the regulations, can be bypassed - as my Wife is a retired civil servant, with medals from the King. Thanks Again, take care, Don
Old Mar 28th 2017, 2:20 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Thanks for your reply, but I am 86 years of age, and lived in Ubonratchathani from 2007 till 2011 with my Thai Wife. They have tightened the regulations as you say, but with a little ''crawling'' to The immigration, I understand some of the regulations, can be bypassed - as my Wife is a retired civil servant, with medals from the King. Thanks Again, take care, Don
I think she was replying to the OP.