British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Thailand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/thailand-154/)
-   -   Moving to Thailand with the family (https://britishexpats.com/forum/thailand-154/moving-thailand-family-881474/)

Ema333 Aug 5th 2016 12:33 pm

Moving to Thailand with the family

We have already been expats for 5 years outside the UK but this time we have to do everything ourselves, my husband is not with the company anymore so it's our personal move and it's to Thailand this time. We have been on holiday in Phuket, Koh Samui, Bangkok but this time we want to live in Thailand for a year.
Question: which is the best place to live in Thailand for a family with little kids? We need a safe place close to an international school, quiet but also with shops, exercise classes and things to do etc.
Thanks everyone :)

karlis111 Aug 27th 2016 3:24 pm

Re: Moving to Thailand with the family

hi did you get any answers about this as i am the same i am looking to move next year and my son will be coming up 1 and i want to find best place ?
thanks x

Ema333 Aug 28th 2016 4:04 am

Hi! Unfortunately no replies at all 😕 Still researching.. Which places are you considering?

karlis111 Aug 28th 2016 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Ema333 (Post 12036776)
Hi! Unfortunately no replies at all 😕 Still researching.. Which places are you considering?

Just out side Phuket or Chiang Mai ? What are you thinking it's so hard to get information about moving with family x

InVinoVeritas Aug 30th 2016 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Ema333 (Post 12036776)

Have you tried the teakdoor.com forum? They have members who can probably help you.

karlis111 Aug 30th 2016 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12038831)
Have you tried the teakdoor.com forum? They have members who can probably help you.

Not heard of it il have a look thanks x

Ema333 Aug 31st 2016 3:37 am

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12038831)

Thank you! Will try that :)

Ema333 Aug 31st 2016 3:40 am

Originally Posted by karlis111 (Post 12036915)

Just out side Phuket or Chiang Mai ? What are you thinking it's so hard to get information about moving with family x

We were thinking Phuket, outside Bangkok or Koh Samui. But Samui seems too quiet, for holiday it's great but for living there not sure.
Don't know anything about Chiang Mai.

InVinoVeritas Aug 31st 2016 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Ema333 (Post 12039702)
Don't know anything about Chiang Mai.

They speak Thai with a Geordie accent :rofl:

Ema333 Aug 31st 2016 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12039754)
They speak Thai with a Geordie accent :rofl:

Interesting 😄
Is there many expats there and schols etc?

InVinoVeritas Aug 31st 2016 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Ema333 (Post 12040034)
Interesting 😄
Is there many expats there and schols etc?

Loads of expats, not sure about sandals (or did you means schools?) ;)

Ema333 Aug 31st 2016 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12040186)
Loads of expats, not sure about sandals (or did you means schools?) ;)

Sorry, auto correct!! Of course schools :)

Ton Sep 8th 2016 3:42 am

We've been living in Chiang Mai for nearly a year now. It is in itself essentially a mini Bangkok.

There is a very large expat community present and a fair few schools for children of all ages. Plenty of gyms, places to shop, various activities depending on what you're into.

Chiang Rai is another option if you like the slower pace of life as there are far fewer people there, both locals and expats.

If you have any specific questions then let me know and I'll try to answer them.

Thairetired2016 Dec 12th 2016 3:17 am

From what I know Chiang Mai attracts a lot of older/retired folks plus many Chinese lately.
If you want to stay for a year, what visa are you planning to get? You mention small kids. So I guess you are below 50. This will limit your is a options unless your husband is employed and has a residence/work permit.

dontheturner Mar 3rd 2017 2:02 pm

Although I am long term retired, I moved, Married, and took up residence, in my Wife's home City, Ubon Ratchathani. This is located well away from the Tourist Areas, over to the East, near to the Borders of Laos & Cambodia.

I found it a lovely Large City, with plenty going on, loads of Shops - including ice cream Parlours Markets Tesco supermarket, Big C, and Macro and Fairs and fetes and I consider it to be ideal to bring up children - with a Church of England School. I was living there for 5 Years, then returned for 5 years...

I will be moving back with my Wife in the Autumn - and I am 86 years of Age. it is far better than UK.