Marriage in Thailand

Old May 28th 2018, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Barke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage in Thailand

Hi to all, i am new to this site and have read some horrendous stories regarding marriage to Thai woman, i am currently engaged to my Thai woman, who lives in South East Thailand, my situation is as follows, my fiancee is widowed (some 17 years) aged 55 yrs, financially ok, ( owns 2 houses, land and has farm) no children, father passed away only mother living aged 84 yrs, we are engaged and wish to go the next stage and get married, it is our intention that i should live in Thailand which i am fine about, i am 66 years old and retired, based off some of the stories i have read about, she has not asked for a penny piece other than to share living expenses and a small token payment to her mother for our marriage, the rest of her brothers/sisters are equally financially ok,
Now my question is: i understand that if we marry in Thailand and get this registered at local Amphur office that this is legally acceptable in UK law, would she be able to apply for UK citizenship at some stage in the future and would it be easier to obtain a visa for her to visit UK for holidays etc, i know i can register our marriage with my pension providers and can also register our marriage with Embassy in Bangkok,
Old May 28th 2018, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage in Thailand

No, she cannot obtain British citizenship until such time as she has legally lived in the UK for 5 years. Being married to you has no relevance to British citizenship.

Being married to you, again, has no relevance on her getting UK visitor visas except she will need to show strong ties to Thailand to ensure she leaves at end of visit.
Old May 28th 2018, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply, that clears up a few things, we will have to organise a visa for my fiancee when i come back to Thailand in couple of weeks, obviously i will have to sort a visa for myself as i will be living in Thailand the next time i come, why the UK has to make things so difficult for someone to visit for a holiday is beyond my comprehension, when i can come to Thailand with no visa requirements for up to 28 days, it should be the same in reverse even more so when we are married.
Old May 28th 2018, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You will find that many countries require Thailand citizens to obtain visitor visas.
Old May 29th 2018, 6:02 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the marriage at the Amphoe is recognised by the UK. You can not get married again in the UK as some Thai women seem to believe, thinking this makes them more married under UK law.

Like the poster above says, she would have to live in the UK for 5 years before she could apply for UK citizenship. Similar to the requirements for a non-Thai in Thailand applying for Thai citizenship.

Disagree slightly with the above poster regarding applying for UK visitor visas. Generally speaking, an application from someone with strong links to a UK national (i.e. married to one, parent of one), will be looked upon differently to someone with no ties to the UK at all, although ultimately all that counts is; the finances, how the applicant can support themselves while in the UK; accommodation, where the applicant will be staying; previous history, has the applicant complied with all previous visa restrictions; reasons to leave, what does the applicant have going on in the country they applied from, which doesn't have to be Thailand.
Old May 29th 2018, 6:06 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barke
Thanks for your reply, that clears up a few things, we will have to organise a visa for my fiancee when i come back to Thailand in couple of weeks, obviously i will have to sort a visa for myself as i will be living in Thailand the next time i come, why the UK has to make things so difficult for someone to visit for a holiday is beyond my comprehension, when i can come to Thailand with no visa requirements for up to 28 days, it should be the same in reverse even more so when we are married.
Life's not fair.

Bear in mind that you future wife will be able to obtain a ten year visitor visa to the UK entitling her to multiple visits of up to six months totaling no more than 180 days in any calendar year. I'd love to have a visa like that for Thailand so it's swings and roundabouts really.
Old May 31st 2018, 6:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barke
It is not the UK that makes it difficult for someone to visit for a holiday but rather the people who habitually abuse the system by overstaying, etc. when visiting the UK who have made it difficult for all Thai Citizens. And as San Diego Girl said, the UK is not the only country that has had problems with Thai visitors but also citizens from the other Asian countries. The US requires them to have a visa as well to vacation in the US.
Old May 31st 2018, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your post`s, i appreciate what you are saying, but must say that if the British government imposed harsher penalties on offenders in the first place the possible offenders would think twice before chancing it, typical example two illegal immigrants have just managed to scam the council out of £125.000, this happens everyday here, so who is at fault the immigrants who try it on or the Government who allow it to happen, i was born here and lived here all my life and been a true patriot, but i am totally disillusioned with the way the country is run now, hence the decision to move out.
Old May 31st 2018, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

"but i am totally disillusioned with the way the country is run now, hence the decision to move out."
Grass is not greener in Thailand. Just wait until you embark on the bureaucracy trail for your visa 😀
Old Jun 1st 2018, 12:06 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

For the most part, citizens rarely know or understand the immigration system of their country, let alone what is needed just for a holiday visit. It only becomes something to think about and get angry about when it affects you.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 1:13 am
Just Joined

True i suppose i have to agree with you on that score, until i recently became involved in the system i had not a clue myself, i thing it is more frustration than anger.