Living in Phuket ?

Old Apr 5th 2018, 4:15 am
Banned

Mattsvb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Phuket ?

Hi all,

I’m starting a new thread, as I need some valuable testimonies from long-time expats as you guys .

I’ve been offered a position in Phuket, Thailand. I really love this country. It is so cheap, warm, culturally rich, and paradisiac that I have the feeling I cannot let this chance slip away…

What do you guys think about living in Phuket? Any expats there that can provide a valuable feedback?

I’ve already lived for a while in Bangkok, but this city is literally too much for me. I enjoyed it the time I stayed, but I guess a more “chilled out” place will be a better match for me. I’m looking for something less crazy, where I can enjoy a very good standard of living with my GF in one of the most beautiful part of this country.

Any recommendations of expats already settled there?
What is for you the best part of the island to stay?
Is the cost of living comparable to Bangkok’s?
Is it easy to get around the island, or should I consider buying a motorbike/scooter?
What are the weekend activities that you would recommend?

I enjoyed my time in Phuket when I went there for vacation, but I have to admit my knowledge about it is quite limited.

I have a full bunch of questions, but I guess it’s better to wait for your feedback.

Thank you in advance for any help you will provide folks!
Old Apr 5th 2018, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Phuket ?

Originally Posted by Mattsvb
Hi all,

I’m starting a new thread, as I need some valuable testimonies from long-time expats as you guys .

I’ve been offered a position in Phuket, Thailand. I really love this country. It is so cheap, warm, culturally rich, and paradisiac that I have the feeling I cannot let this chance slip away…

What do you guys think about living in Phuket? Any expats there that can provide a valuable feedback?

I’ve already lived for a while in Bangkok, but this city is literally too much for me. I enjoyed it the time I stayed, but I guess a more “chilled out” place will be a better match for me. I’m looking for something less crazy, where I can enjoy a very good standard of living with my GF in one of the most beautiful part of this country.

Is it easy to get around the island, or should I consider buying a motorbike/scooter?

I enjoyed my time in Phuket when I went there for vacation, but I have to admit my knowledge about it is quite limited.

I have a full bunch of questions, but I guess it’s better to wait for your feedback.

Phuket will be no cheaper than Bkk. But everybody has different "mileage". May be you buy streetfood, I don't.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 7:35 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I’ve been offered a position in Phuket, Thailand. I really love this country. It is so cheap

Some things are cheaper, some things are a lot more expensive. It tends to balance out

, warm,

The weather can prove wearisome after a while.

culturally rich,

Is it really? in music and arts I would say it is culturally poor comoared to Europe.

and paradisiac that I have the feeling I cannot let this chance slip away…

Paradise is very subjective, and your opinion may change over time, as may the place itself. One man's wine......

Not been there since 2000, no intention of returning. If island paradises are your thing I can think of better places to visit than Phuket. The transient Expat population, the rip-offs, the hawkers, the traffic.. I could go on

What is for you the best part of the island to stay? Anywhere but Patong
Is the cost of living comparable to Bangkok’s? depends on your lifestyle
Is it easy to get around the island, or should I consider buying a motorbike/scooter? Unless you want to be paying through the nose courtesy of the legendary Phuket taxi mafia, get your own wheels. There was a UK newspaper expose of Phuket taxi drivers a couple of years back that pointed out how taxis from the airport to the hotel were working out more expensive than a London black cab. You've got to laugh really.
Revealed: The Secret Phuket Campaign That Toppled the Taxi and Tuk-Tuk 'Mafia' - Phuket Wan

Enjoy your stay!
Old Apr 12th 2018, 4:59 am
Banned

Mathieularoche is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Hi !!

I might be able to help you, as I'm now settled in Phuket. First of all, I'd say it's impossible to get around Phuket if you don't have a vehicle. Obviously, I would recommend you buy a scooter, not a car. Even if you don't wan't to buy it, you can rent for 2,500/3,000 baht a month. Up to you

Due to the high number of tourists and expats, the cost of living is increasing. As said above, it won't be cheaper than Bangkok. If you had a "comfy" lifestyle in Bkk, you'll have more or less the same there. It depends on how much you spend when you go out, and how much you get obviously. Overall, it remains far cheaper than major cities in Europe, and you are living near the beach, not far from islands, etc. Let's say there is nothing to complain about lol.

Yes, there are also a lot of expats. Lots of European people.

When will you get there??? Have you already planned to go there or are you still not sure whether you are going to accept this offer or not?

Anyway, for further information, or more specific questions, feel free to ask man, I think I can help you with it

Cheers !!
Old Apr 12th 2018, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

..would recommend you buy a scooter, not a car. Even if you don't wan't to buy it, you can rent for 2,500/3,000 baht a month. Up to you� �

And make sure you have a license and adequate insurance to cover you if you become one of the many bike accidents in Thailand.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 2:43 am
Banned

Hello,
I thank you for all your information. I think I'll buy a scooter very quickly, it seems like the best solution
Mathieularoche, how long have you been in Phuket? How was your adaptation in Thailand?
For housing what do you think is the best choice? rent a condo before leaving or take a hotel or airbnb for a week or two before you find a real apartment?
I will arrive in Thailand at the end of the year, around September / October
Old Apr 18th 2018, 4:24 am
Banned

Hello,
I thank you for all your information. I think I'll buy a scooter very quickly, it seems like the best solution
Mathieularoche, how long have you been in Phuket? How was your adaptation in Thailand?
For housing what do you think is the best choice? rent a condo before leaving or take a hotel or airbnb for a week or two before you find a real apartment?
I will arrive in Thailand at the end of the year, around September / October
Thairetired is right, make sure you have an international driving license first, and get your a** covered

I've been in Phuket for a while now, 18 months or so. But I keep on flying back home 1 or 2 months once in a while. My adaptation was easy, I guess there are better places in the world than Phuket lol.

My advice is to get a airbnb/hotel first. In this way, when you get in Phuket, you can just look around, visit condos, decide where you feel more at ease, etc. You have also more leverage to bargain when you are in front of the owner, visiting their condo. The process is really easy when you've decided though. Just a photocopy of your passport is required, as well as the deposit and the first month to be paid up front.

September/october ... that's ok, it means you still have quite a lot of time to arrange everything, prepare your relocation. How are you going to do this? all on your own?
Old Apr 20th 2018, 3:11 am
Banned

Hello everybody,
Yes you're right, I think it's the best and simplest solution for my arrival.
For the move, I'm still far from finding the solution .. I search on the internet companies with reasonable prices, good service, good comments to their subjects but it's quite complicated
Maybe you have an idea to advise me? How did you do ? by which company?
Thank you for your help
Old Apr 21st 2018, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Hello everybody,
For the move, I'm still far from finding the solution .. I search on the internet companies with reasonable prices, good service, good comments to their subjects but it's quite complicated
Thank you for your help
As advised by the previous poster, have a look around first. Stay in a hotel/serviced apt. and go from there. Once you are here check out real estate rental offers you see advertised. Then you see what you get for what price. Some agents only deal in highend rentals, some in affordable. Speak to your colleagues about their experience. Rent a more recently built property, older ones nearly all have smelly drains as Thailand rarely puts in U-bends. Don't be hasty, take your time when choosing a place.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 3:21 am
Banned

Hello everybody,
Thank you for your help
>> I search on the internet companies with reasonable prices, good service, good comments to their subjects but it's quite complicated

It shouldn't be that complicated, you can find a lot of them on the internet. Just ask for quotations, they often provide Online forms, and you'll usually receive an answer quite quickly.

A good friend of mine is currently in the same process as you, except that he already booked his relocation with a company based in Thailand.

If you want, I can ask him the name of that company, and the kind of services they provide. Anyway, I guess you need a basic door to door relocation which is the easiest solution.

I'll let you know soon
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 6:38 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Try looking on DD property. They're probably Thailand's biggest property agent. The app is very good. You can also get a good idea of the going rate for rentals or purchases.

https://www.ddproperty.com/en/proper...s%22%3Anull%7D
Old Apr 25th 2018, 3:21 am
Banned

Hello,
Yes indeed I will take my time to find a good accommodation and I will take a hotel for 2 weeks to see the surroundings.
Thank you nonthaburi, I will look on your site, there seems to be a lot of interesting things.
Thank you Mathieularoche for your help too, if your friend has already started organizing his move, if you can get the name of the company, it can always help me or guide me in my choices. I actually think I just need a basic door to door relocation
Thanks for your help
Old Apr 25th 2018, 6:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Mathieularoche for your help too, if your friend has already started organizing his move, if you can get the name of the company, it can always help me or guide me in my choices.
Sorry, but Nathieularoche wasn’t a genuine forum member, he was only here to promote a certain moving company. Assuming you're not the same person as Mathieuleroche () then hopefully you can find your own moving company without the help of spammers.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 25th 2018 at 10:24 am.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 10:27 am
Banned

Hello everyone
I did not think that matthieularoche was here to promote a company, having had some exchanges with him.
I wanted to thank you for your valuable advice, I finally contacted a company by myself who advised me very seriously and I decided to trust them for my move
I post the link of their website for those who will be in the same case as me
<snip>
Have a nice week end

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 27th 2018 at 10:42 am.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 10:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone
I did not think that matthieularoche was here to promote a company, having had some exchanges with him.
I wanted to thank you for your valuable advice, I finally contacted a company by myself who advised me very seriously and I decided to trust them for my move
I post the link of their website for those who will be in the same case as me
<snip>
Have a nice week end
Yep, as suspected. Both spammer and sock puppet banned, apologies to all that took the time to offer genuine advice.