Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

How to get a death certificate in Thailand

How to get a death certificate in Thailand

Old Oct 1st 2017, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Barryennis is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation How to get a death certificate in Thailand

My Dad has just has just passed away in Thailand.

For the last month of so he has been treated for lung cancer in a hospital without any health insurance.

I've been told by the hospital that he had incurred a £13k medical bill which I am unable to pay.

I've been told that if I enter the country I will be liable for the bill and may be arrested unless I pay it?!

My lawyers have advised me not to go.

I am unable to sort out any of the affairs in the UK or Thailand until I get a death certificate but I have absolutely no idea how to get one?

The family have decided to not bring the body back to the UK but I am being told that until the body is 'released a death certificate cannot be issued.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this?

The consulate and embassy out there haven't been any use sadly.

Any light anyone can shed on this is massively appreciated.

Thanks
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get a death certificate in Thailand

Originally Posted by Barryennis
My Dad has just has just passed away in Thailand.

For the last month of so he has been treated for lung cancer in a hospital without any health insurance.

I've been told by the hospital that he had incurred a £13k medical bill which I am unable to pay.

I've been told that if I enter the country I will be liable for the bill and may be arrested unless I pay it?!

My lawyers have advised me not to go.

I am unable to sort out any of the affairs in the UK or Thailand until I get a death certificate but I have absolutely no idea how to get one?

The family have decided to not bring the body back to the UK but I am being told that until the body is 'released a death certificate cannot be issued.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this?

The consulate and embassy out there haven't been any use sadly.

Any light anyone can shed on this is massively appreciated.

Thanks
From what I experienced in my circle of friends: A death certificate gets issued by the hospital where your father died. In case of death of a foreign national the embassy gets notified. If there is no family locally, the embassy provides assistance. While the Brit. embassy in Bkk does not have a great reputation, they are not too bad helping out in cases like yours. I assume your Father was British. They will of course not help paying the bills. Hospital bills are negotiable but you got to be there.
Try to sign up on thaivisa forum. This is a forum with more activity on question about Thai issues.