British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Thailand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/thailand-154/)
-   -   Holiday in Bangkok/Phuket (https://britishexpats.com/forum/thailand-154/holiday-bangkok-phuket-760663/)

Cookster Jun 5th 2012 3:04 am

Holiday in Bangkok/Phuket

Ok Ive had a good read of all the negitive things that are being said about Bangkok and Phuket on here, so now I need to hear of some possitive things about areas to go, places to see etc.... Having never been to Thailand before and unsure of where to go we thought we`s start with the touristy stuff first, hence booking Bangkok and Phuket, oh, and husbands wanting to have a good quality suit made too. So would like to hear from anyone with possitive coments please, as much more negitivity and I will be checking my insurnace policy !!!!

nonthaburi Jun 5th 2012 2:46 pm

Re: Holiday in Bangkok/Phuket

I'm not going to say anything about Phuket as I haven't been there since 2000 and it would take something pretty drastic to get me to go back there . I'm sure someone else can do that .

I do live in Bangkok though and it is a great city to live in . I'll try and stay on the positive side of it as you're on holiday . You might want to spend a few days here as there is a lot to do and it's good to get the feel of a place .

Things to do :

1) Take a trip on the river up as far as Nonthaburi ( where I live hence the name ) , it's only 14 baht or something like that and you get to see a different side of the city.

2) Visit Chattuchak weekend market . Any shopping you do you should probably do here so it might be best to do it at the end of your trip . It's huge though so be prepared for some walking and haggling ! If the shopping gets too much have a look round Queen Sirikit Park by JJ Mall . It's lovely and a five minute walk away .

3) Spend an afternoon relaxing in Lumphini park . A green oasis in the heart of the city and short trip from Silom and Sukhumvit downtown areas . Ride on a pedalo boat and watch the big monitor lizards and turtles in the water .

4) Dusit Zoo . I'm a big fan of this place and I actually took my family there yesterday. The animals are okay and it's set in some lovely grounds with all manner of tropical plants in abundance. 100 baht a ticket so it's pretty good value too.

5) Try the buffet dinner at the top of the Baiyoke Tower . It's the tallest building in Bangkok at 300+ metres and the view is fantastic . Good hotel too . I stayed there onetime and you can get some good deals on the internet . I think dinner is about 600 baht all in .

6) MBK and Central World , more shopping if that is your thing . In the centre of BKK it's busy . Opposite MBK is the Bangkok Art and Cultural Centre which sometimes has some good exhibitions .

7) Kaosan Road and Banglamphu area . The backpacker area . Watch the freak show.

8) Chinatown - soak up the busy streetlife

9) Bangkok is famous for nightlife . 3 main redlight districts of Patpong , Nana and Soi Cowboy . Might be worth a look . Cowboy is probably the nicest of the three . Apart from that there are so many bars clubs etc it's difficult to know where to start . Silom and Sukhumvit are full of options.

There's more things I haven't mentioned but that lot would take you a while and getting around BKK can be tiring or time consuming . Taxis are the easiest way to get around . Just make sure the metre is on . If it's " broken " just get out and find another one.

Have a god holiday .:)

Cookster Jun 6th 2012 7:22 am

Thank you for your thoughts, very much appreciated.

bakedbean Jun 7th 2012 12:42 pm

Hi, well you can't have read all threads then, as i did one about Phuket and quite a lot of positives on there. I used to live there. There's a lot of variety there. Patong sucks...just don't. Cape Panwa, Nai Harn, Kata Noi all beautiful places. Maybe I'll give the other thread a little bump so you can find it.

Cookster Jun 7th 2012 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 10105607)
Hi, well you can't have read all threads then, as i did one about Phuket and quite a lot of positives on there. I used to live there. There's a lot of variety there. Patong sucks...just don't. Cape Panwa, Nai Harn, Kata Noi all beautiful places. Maybe I'll give the other thread a little bump so you can find it.

Would appreciate that, thank you.

Bangkok Sep 16th 2012 10:54 pm

If you do go to Phuket arrange to go to Koh Phi Phi - this is a two hour boat ride from Phuket pier - when in Phi Phi do the islands tour to include Maya Bay ( where the move "The Beach" featuring Leonardo DiCaprio was shot ...:)
Phi Phi also has lovely beaches too - and don't forget to climb up to Viewpoint from where you will be able to see both bays - Tonsai and Railay - enjoy :)

bakedbean Sep 17th 2012 4:17 am

I wouldn't recommend it at this time of year (Phi Phi). Very dangerous seas during the south-west monsoon. Save that for winter-time eh.

nonthaburi Sep 18th 2012 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Bangkok (Post 10284115)
If you do go to Phuket arrange to go to Koh Phi Phi - this is a two hour boat ride from Phuket pier - when in Phi Phi do the islands tour to include Maya Bay ( where the move "The Beach" featuring Leonardo DiCaprio was shot ...:)
Phi Phi also has lovely beaches too - and don't forget to climb up to Viewpoint from where you will be able to see both bays - Tonsai and Railay - enjoy :)

I would say that PiPi is a great example of a once lovely place that has been totally f_cked up by tourism . It is only a small island but it is so overdeveloped and crowded . Walking around Tonsai Village is horrible . I remember years ago walking up to the viewpoint and having to pass huge mounds of rubbish to get there . The tsunami may have got rid of a lot of things but for sure the building has gone on again since then.

When will Thais realise that less is sometimes more.

bakedbean Sep 19th 2012 6:03 am

:goodpost: Nonthaburi-kaah

Actually I was going to give you some Karma, but it says you've got too much already :lol:

nonthaburi Sep 19th 2012 4:49 pm

So what is your take on PiPi , you must have gone there when you lived in Phuket . I prefer quiter places myself .

P.s. I don't need Karma ! I just need booze right now . One month in the biggest alcohol free zone in the world is taking its toll ! :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Bangkok Sep 19th 2012 8:02 pm

I love Phi Phi - my fav place is with the guy who owns the cafe on Viewpoint - have a coffee and chat with him and watch one of the most beautiful real life views in the world!
I realize Phi Phi is getting very popular and congested - and hotels are difficult to come by - but it still holds some magic for me..:)

bakedbean Sep 20th 2012 8:52 am

Here you are Nonthaburi... :beer: a virtual pint for you. It's the best I can do. I think there are ways of obtaining alcohol isn't there? You need to get your feet under the table there, hehe.

Somewhat off topic, but someone near and dear to me used to live in a Middle Eastern country many moons ago and he (and most others) used to run their own still. Used to produce some pretty lethal stuff too, so I gather.

:focus: I never went to Phi Phi, nor James Bond island, and always avoided Patong too where possible. I'm not into the touristy stuff.

There ARE some nice bits to Phuket, some spectacular scenery actually, but so many folks miss it all :o

Dorset Gal Oct 10th 2012 11:28 am

I'm going over to Phuket with family, are there any places that ok for older teens without too many distractions to pull them off the rails. Safe clubs, bars, places to hang out etc.

bakedbean Oct 11th 2012 8:10 am

You mean you want to keep an eye on them? I guess staying in a hotel and using hotel bar? If these are teenage lads, there will be distractions for sure ;)

nonthaburi Oct 13th 2012 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Dorset Gal (Post 10323412)
I'm going over to Phuket with family, are there any places that ok for older teens without too many distractions to pull them off the rails. Safe clubs, bars, places to hang out etc.

Most places are probably fairly safe , what do you mean by distractions ? If it's boys the worse that would probably happen is that they spend a lot of time in beer bars being told how good looking they are and playing pool , not the end of the world and they'll probably want you to come back next year:rofl:. If it's girls ....watch out for beachboy gigalo types. :sneaky:

but :fingerscrossed:you should all have a great holiday.