Reload this Page >

Help please - need to send money to Thailand

Help please - need to send money to Thailand

Old Jan 4th 2016, 7:55 am
Just Joined

Blake8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help please - need to send money to Thailand

Hi,

My friend has lost her passport and run out of cash. She's got a letter from the police stating who she is and a photo on her phone of her passport but Western Union is not accepting these.

She's in Kata, Phuket. Her embassy is in Bangkok & she's not got the cash to get there. We were able to book her into a hotel online, but keep hitting walls to get her some cash.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Blake

Last edited by Blake8; Jan 4th 2016 at 8:50 am. Reason: I can't spell.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help please - need to send money to Thailand

Has she got a debit card that could be used at an ATM to withdraw cash from her bank account? If so you could send a bank credit to her account and she could then withdraw the cash from the ATM.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 8:11 am
Just Joined

Thanks for replying Teejaydee.

She's got a credit card and is not sure if it will let her withdraw cash. I'll get her to check with her card to see if she can use it. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 8:42 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blake8
Hi,

My friend has lost her passport and run out of cash. She's got a letter from the police stating who she is and a photo on her phone of her passport but Western Union is not accepting these.

She's in Kata, Phuquet. Her embassy is in Bangkok & she's not got the cash to get there. We were able to book her into a hotel online, but keep hitting walls to get her some cash.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Blake
Have you actually spoken to her to be certain this is a genuine request? I only say this because there have been a lot of scams recently using that system, i.e. lost passport, lost credit cards etc.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Hi Mikelincs

Thanks for the concern.
Been chatting via IM / bit on the phone so know its not a spoof unfortunately.
Waiting to hear back re if her card will allow her to do an ATM withdrawal if I send some cash to her account. She's not a Brit and I can't recall her card company to check out its capabilities.
WU used to do a security question for passport lost cases, but seems they've scrapped that.

Thanks again for people reading and offering suggestions, its really nice of you.

Blake
Old Jan 19th 2016, 4:41 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Can't your daughter give the name of someone she can trust over there, and you wire the money to them. Maybe a policeman that she used before.
I'm hoping this is sorted out by now though anyway.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
Sorry for not updating, been having internet issues, thankfully after we got her all sorted with a flight home!

She was not able to use her card at an ATM but we were able to send money to her bank account, so she could pay off some money on her maxed out card. We also helped with paying hotel bills until she could get to her embassy for a temp passport.

She's now safely back home.

Thanks for all the help.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 9:42 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'm so pleased that this has worked out for you and her.

When BE members help like that it makes me smile ...a lot.