Driving in Thai

Old Nov 26th 2014, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Confusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving in Thai

If you have never passed your UK driving test and have no license how easy is it to get a Thai one?
Old Nov 27th 2014, 7:59 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Thai

I think you would need some residency papers / visa to apply for one. I no longer live in Thailand, but that you used to be the case.

I actually did a sort of half-test along with about 30 others, as I was "converting" from another licence. This boiled down to a lot of reaction tests, colour tests. It was a real hoot. The colour test was great. If you got it wrong, you got another go This probably doesn't help you at all, but I felt like writing it as it cheers me up.
Old Dec 1st 2014, 6:47 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

You will need some sort of visa, what kind may depend on where you are, but seeing how they probably can't read it I wouldn't worry too much.

A medical report from a government hospital or clinic. Pay 100 Baht and get a joke check-up, which will go something like this; doctor will check your blood pressure and breathing and declare you fit.

The last one can be a bit tricky. A letter saying where you live from either immigration, your embassy, or the local police. the embassy is a rip-off, immigration is only marginally better. The police is the best option. If you don't speak Thai you will need a Thai speaker to with you. Cost should be free. LOL.

Check with your local place before hand as there may be some variations on this. You will have to get there at around 8am. Watch a safety video, check your eyesight, braking reaction, and then take the written test. It is multiple choice and has recently been made harder to pass I believe. It used to be 30Qs and you could get 7 wrong. Now I think it is 50 and you can get 5 wrong. There are loads of examples on line if you want to check before you go.

After lunch you will do the practical which is a joke. Drive round a few bollards, up and down a ramp, stop and look etc, and some reverse parallell parking, or something like that.

Failing all that, do what one of my BILs RIP did and buy it for 2000. He couldn't read the questions!
Old Dec 1st 2014, 6:50 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

A friend told me last time I was there that you can now do a straight conversion from a Thai to a UK one if you don't have a UK one. Don't know if that is true or not.