Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

driving license in Thailand

driving license in Thailand

Old May 29th 2018, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Barke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default driving license in Thailand

Hi all, another question i am afraid, can i get a Thai driving license based off my full UK license or do i have to undertake new driving tests, i know i can get an international permit from the Uk.
but this only last`s a year before having to renew back from the UK
Secondly, can i just turn up in Thailand on a one way flight and sort out whatever i need Visa wise when i am in Thailand, as i intend getting married and living in Thailand with my future wife at her home and opening a bank account so that i can transfer funds from my UK bank on a monthly basis.

Last edited by Barke; May 29th 2018 at 3:45 pm.
Old May 29th 2018, 4:50 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving license in Thailand

You should be okay getting a Thai license from your UK one without too many difficulties. Requirements may differ from place to place. IME the more out in the sticks, the easier things are.

You can turn up on a one-way flight, done it many times myself, but bear in mind that the airline may question you on leaving the UK about onward travel arrangements, so be prepared to show financial capabilities to support yourself for an extended stay. Also, Thai immigration may question you, ask to see 20,000 Baht worth of currency in cash, and possibly force you to buy an onward ticket leaving Thailand, not the end of the world with a cheap Air Asia ticket but a PITA nevertheless.

Regarding the marriage, once you are married you will then have to travel to a neighboring country to apply for a Non-immigrant O visa, valid for 3 months, which you can then do a year extension with. This used to be the case anyway, maybe you can change from a tourist visa to a Non-O without leaving the country these days??
Old May 30th 2018, 2:01 am
Just Joined

Barke is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi thank you for your reply to my post and the other post as well, as far as Thai immigration is concerned on my planned trip to Thailand, i intend to take with me 50,000 Baht in cash when i go, do you think if i tell them i am staying with friend/fiancee they may not request a possible onward journey out of Thailand, also i have just contacted Siam International with a possible request for their assistance with any visa requirements, initially i presume i can stay in Thailand for up to 28 days as a tourist without any visa requirements.

Last edited by Barke; May 30th 2018 at 2:04 am.
Old May 31st 2018, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have a visa but arrive on visa exempt (30 days on arrival) the airline you travel with may not allow you to board but require a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days. Why not get a 60 day tourist visa from Thai consulate/embassy in UK?
Old Jun 21st 2019, 10:48 am
Just Joined

hughden is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get a Thai licence using your UK licence. I believe it is illegal to use a UK licence for more than 30 days (OK for a holiday rental), thereafter you need a Thai or international licence. Also need to check insurance cover if not on a Thai Licence.
You will need to get a proof of address letter from the local immigration department. Then turn up at land transport early and plan to be there for around 4 hours. Form to fill and you have to take a couple of simple reaction/perception tests in the office (not in a car), then watch a boring 45 road safety video, then wait for photo and licence. The first licence is one year, Thereafter it is five years.