British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Thailand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/thailand-154/)
-   -   Demand for a British nanny (https://britishexpats.com/forum/thailand-154/demand-british-nanny-889972/)

Nanny111 Jan 12th 2017 9:35 am

Demand for a British nanny

Hi I was wondering if there is a high demand if anyone knows for a quailed English speaking nanny, to work out in Thailand. I've visited Thailand twice and would love to come back out and work there. But from research it seems everyone used more of an all rounder type person for childcare cleaning etc and rarely seems like there is an actual demand for an actual career nanny. Would be great if anyone had any pointers. Thanks

Thairetired2016 Jan 12th 2017 11:38 am

Re: Demand for a British nanny

Originally Posted by Nanny111 (Post 12149782)
Hi I was wondering if there is a high demand if anyone knows for a quailed English speaking nanny, to work out in Thailand. I've visited Thailand twice and would love to come back out and work there. But from research it seems everyone used more of an all rounder type person for childcare cleaning etc and rarely seems like there is an actual demand for an actual career nanny. Would be great if anyone had any pointers. Thanks

You will not be able to get a work permit. This type of work is reserved for Thais. 2 holidays are not enough to be sure you want to live here. Holiday and living in Thailand are 2 diff. things.
Have been here for 12 years.

Nanny111 Jan 12th 2017 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 (Post 12149880)
You will not be able to get a work permit. This type of work is reserved for Thais. 2 holidays are not enough to be sure you want to live here. Holiday and living in Thailand are 2 diff. things.
Have been here for 12 years.

Thanks for letting me know. My second time in Thailand was spent travelling around for a few months, so definitely got a feel for it. But thanks anyways

DigitalGhost Jan 14th 2017 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Nanny111 (Post 12150338)
Thanks for letting me know. My second time in Thailand was spent travelling around for a few months, so definitely got a feel for it. But thanks anyways

Slightly different country but I knew a few people several years ago who tried to make a go at life in the Philippines on a local salary. Unless you're hoping for a cushy expats-only gig, I don't think any amount of travelling around as a westerner could prepare you for living like the Thais do.

scot47 Jan 18th 2017 12:42 pm

In both countries survival on a local salary requires the kind of sociai and family network that Filipinos and Thais usually have. Not an option for "farang".