Death In Thailand

Old Oct 4th 2021, 5:06 am
Just Joined

emmaj1974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Death In Thailand

Hi

I was wondering if any one can help. My dad passed away in Thailand on Thursday and currently we are unable to get over to Thailand, due to the red list and the costs involved.
My father is awaiting a autopsy and once this is done we can release his body. He did have a partner however they were not married.
He had a business and a house which I know was in her name and she will be getting this, but this is not what I am worried about.
I have been told once the autopsy has been carried out if I sign his body over to her for cremation she then has the death certificate and I am unable to obtain one. With his being a british national I need the death certificate to be able to stop his pension here in the uk and close his bank account down and I would like to register his death in the uk.
I know my dad wanted to be cremated in Thailand and as a family we are willing to let this happen, however this has been a massive shock and trying to deal with the embassy has been horrendous.
I dont know who to trust and I dont know what I need to do. I have been told even though he had a partner I am next of kin but for me it seems I am only next of kin when it comes to the hospital costs and all the other costs but I have no right to have his death certificate.
I was wondering if anyone can help or point me in the right direction.
My father is currently in Bangkok hospital Pattaya but I know know more than that.
Old Oct 4th 2021, 5:22 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Death In Thailand

Hi Emma. I'm very sorry to hear about your Dad, my sincere sympathies.

Hopefully there will be someone living in Thailand along soon to help answer your questions. In the meantime, have you looked at the following information?

I know you've said you've had contact with the British embassy, but in case you haven't seen it this is the UK government's advice on what to do when a British person dies in Thailand https://www.gov.uk/guidance/what-to-...es-in-thailand

As well as the British embassy in Bangkok, I also found details for the British Honorary Consulate in Pattaya. There is an email address for the Honorary Consul in this link https://www.embassypages.com/unitedk...ttaya-thailand

I'm sorry you're having to deal with all this, losing your dad is hard enough on its own.
Old Oct 4th 2021, 5:43 am
Just Joined

emmaj1974 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thank you so much for that, I have seen the Gov.uk one and been through it, But it is the releasing of his body over to his girlfriend in Thailand which automatically gives her the death Certificate.
It has been absolutely awful due to not being able to get out. not knowing what is happening. Even though he is classed as a british national I feel I have no rights. I cant confirm whether he was insured apparently he wasn't but I have no way of knowing if he had as I can not go through any of his paper work.

The only thing I cant get my help around is, according to the embassy i am his next of kin so I have to pay all costs involved regarding hospital which of course I will, but if i sign his body over i cant have a say in anything or have a death certificate and his meant to also be classed as a british national.

It is very difficult we haven't had time to grieve but we are having to deal with all of this. I have only had one conversation with his girlfriend and that didn't go down very well i just had her screaming at me telling me to sign his body over which I certainly cant any as he is waiting on autopsy. And then she sent me photos of my father dead and videos of the crew working on him on the path.

Old Oct 4th 2021, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

June W is an unknown quantity at this point

Sent you a PM
Old Oct 5th 2021, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by June W
Sent you a PM
I believe that emmaj1974 would need to have at least 3 posts on the forum before she can send you a PM in reply. Currently she only has 2, so a confirmation of receiving your PM would already be sufficient.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Suggest you also post on the aseannow forum if you haven't already done so.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

Who told you that signing over the body for cremation after autopsy involves her getting the Death Certificate? The hospital? The embassy? The Partner? Can you not insist that you get a copy of the Death Certificate as well. Get here to sign an affidavit to that effect with a lawyer? Did he have a personal lawyer? There may also be a Will that establishes the dispensation of property and assets beyond those that were in her name.

In any case, I'm doubtful that the British Government would continue to send benefits to his account if they have evidence at all of his death. Surely the Hon. British Counsel would know if a British Citizen had died there and have documents to that effect that would be sufficient to suspend or terminate the benefits.There is a document I receive periodically called that establishes proof of life that requires me to establish my physical existence at a lawyer/solicitor and the notarised document is then sent to my Pension agency.
Old Jul 13th 2023, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

lesleyer_er is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I am currently going through the same process.

Did you ever manage to get the death certificate and if so how did you go about doing this?
Old Mar 6th 2024, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

SweetWilliam is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone any experience of getting a death certificate in Thailand for a UK national?

Reading the info, the death must be registered within 24 hours, the certificate will be in Thai and needs to be translated into English, the English version needs verification to be accepted in the UK - it is recommended to get several copies made. You can inform the UK banks and authorities but they will need to the death certificate. The Foreign Office isn't much help, they may send you info that is fairly freely available.

If there are family members or partners in Thailand who are hostile, the issues become much worse.
Old Mar 7th 2024, 7:16 am
HLJ
Just Joined

HLJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you worked through this list yet?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/what-to-...es-in-thailand

It also tells you how to contact the UK consular services in Thailand, and how to apply for a Consular Death Registration certificate, which is the equivalent of a UK death certificate for someone who died overseas.