Health Insurance

Old Sep 16th 2016, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

FreddyBee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Insurance

I have been invited to retire to Thailand by a Thai family that I know very well (I lived there from 2000-2003). The idea is very attractive, the cost of living will be low and the lifestyle excellent, but the major thing that gives me pause is health insurance. I will be 66 when I move there and do have some chronic, not acute, health issues. Can anyone of about my age give me an idea of the cost of private health insurance for an expat in Thailand? I have seen numbers between £400 and £600 per month. Any input would be welcome.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance

My advice would be to get insurance before you come. A Thai insurance won't take you at your age and precondition.
Medical care will be cheap if you take the time to go to government hospitals. Inpatient treatment can bankrupt you in no time in a private hospital.
You don't say when you last visited but cost of living is no longer cheap unless you live like local folks in a rural area. Bangkok is as pricey as my home country in Europe. Esp. when it comes to rents.
Old May 1st 2017, 9:00 am
Just Joined

roskruge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Health Insurance

I have lived in Thailand on and off since 2002. Never had Insurance, no need, had two operations in Thailand at government hospitals.
2005 or 6 Prostate operation at 'Air Force' Hospital. 6 days in hospital cost 16,000 Thai Baht
April 2017 (aged 75) Spinal Stenosis operation at 'Naval' Hospital to install Titanium bolts in lower back, 4 hr 40min on the table, 10 days in hospital = Total 170,000 Thai Baht (waiting time from "can go in hospital" 2 days).
"edit" Spinal Operation, I will need to go back for further operations every 10 years.

Last edited by roskruge; May 1st 2017 at 9:03 am.