Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Buying a property in Thailand

Buying a property in Thailand

Old Apr 28th 2011, 3:35 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a property in Thailand

Originally Posted by MasterLee
No, she hasn't lost her mind, but she got one small detail awry - I'm only half-Thai on my mother's side, and I'm actually British born and bred.

We're seriously considering Thailand, but we have a lot to talk about and some reality bonding to do in order to establish a firm relationship basis before putting roots down anywhere.

I'm just as conscious of the dangers of a relationships dangers as she is - I've had my own heartbreaks, and I want to know that she's taking precautions, too.

That aside, it's nice to have some idea of the nicer places to live. The only reason I'm in Roi-Et is to help out my parents while they're having some building work done.

It *is* a little backward, but there's also some danger of the atmosphere getting a little frosty due to the support for ol' Thaksin around here, and he's due back in a couple of months. My parents needn't worry too much, they're in their 70s now, but I'll have to be careful what I say out and about . . .

Many options are open, we're just spit-balling here.
I've only just realised that you are the other half, I'm a bit slow sometimes. Reassuring to see that you can actually write ( and presumably speak ) perfect English. I'm not as worried as I was previously because of this as it will make a big difference.

Good luck to you in whatever happens.

p.s. can't see Thaksin coming back any time soon. My prediction is that Abhisit will win the next election comfortably with a colalition government. I might be totally wrong though. It's Thailand after all so who knows what can happen.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 7:57 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Anything can happen in Thailand.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 5:29 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

it certainly can, but on a personal level my life couldn't get any more settled though. Wife, two kids, steady job , house in the suburbs. Almost makes me feel middle class.
Old May 1st 2011, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

id hazard a guess to say 'masterlee' is considerably older than the OP, as he said his parents are well into their seventies. thats a sweeping generalisation but i still think either side shouldnt be talking about buying property or choosing places to live until they have actually spent a month or two in each others company

if I was the OP (and female) and I had some cash in the bank, id just go take a 6 week week holiday and not worry about location, and use that 6 weeks to get to know my potential partner.

you just read so many stories, neither side may have an agenda but its surely better to be safe than sorry.
Old May 15th 2011, 6:39 am
Just Joined

MissDreamboat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm back. Thank you everyone. Yes..... MasterLee is my future Lord and Master. I intend to spend the rest of my life worshipping at his feet.
Old May 17th 2011, 4:17 am

good for you, make sure you learn to kiss them too. Kissing feet is big in Thailand !
Old May 17th 2011, 8:09 am
Just Joined

MissDreamboat is an unknown quantity at this point

lol.... so long as that's all
Old May 18th 2011, 3:31 am

washing them too sometimes, I've done that for my MIL a few times on special occasions.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MissDreamboat
Thank you ameliapond,
I don’t think I’m being naïve. So I must be brave…thank you for not saying “stupid”. I’m not sure how far the money will go in these other places, but we are going to rent while we look around. Believe me I am going to exercise caution and thank you for your good wishes.
I am going away for two weeks in a few hours so will be unable to reply to anyone from 10.00am Wednesday 26th April (UK time). If anyone wishes to add anything I will read it on my return and reply then.
Thank you all.
I am sorry, but I think you are away with the fairies.
You really plan to go there, buy a piece of land with some guy you met on the internet?

You are off your trolly girl, seriously, and you say "So I must be brave" being brave has nothing to do with it.
If you go missing, you go missing, generally never to come back.
Where does brave help you then.

Sorry to be so abrupt, but some one has to say some thing to wake you up.

vette
Old Jul 7th 2011, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Paul B will become famous soon enoughPaul B will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by uk_vette
I am sorry, but I think you are away with the fairies.
You really plan to go there, buy a piece of land with some guy you met on the internet?

You are off your trolly girl, seriously, and you say "So I must be brave" being brave has nothing to do with it.
If you go missing, you go missing, generally never to come back.
Where does brave help you then.

Sorry to be so abrupt, but some one has to say some thing to wake you up.

vette
Well, when I read the "I trust him 110%" and "We are in a lifelong relationship" I really thought she meant it, but then I read she had not even MET the guy I damn near soiled myself laughing.

:r ofl:

How the holy hell do you decide you are in love, lust, or bloody lalaland with someone if you have never even met them in the flesh, let alone decide to spend tens of thousands of quid on a land and house in their name?????

Dreamboatgirl, I know this is too late, as I only just stumbled across this thread, but think long and hard before you throw down your life savings.

I'm currently in the process of building a house for my wife, in the Philippines. With buying the land it is about US$100,000 altogether. We've been married sixteen years, have a ten year old daughter, they both have dual UK nationality, and I'm still nervous about putting it all in her name.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 2:06 am

paranoia is good ! means you're thinking about it all.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 9:48 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissDreamboat
but we are going to rent while we look around. Believe me I am going to exercise caution and thank you for your good wishes.
I think for some of us oldies (including me), maybe it seems strange meeting up with future permanent partner on the internet, but maybe that's the way it goes these days, I dunno.

I'm really hoping that Miss D will come back and post later in a year or so and tell us how great everything is going.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 3:31 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I think for some of us oldies (including me), maybe it seems strange meeting up with future permanent partner on the internet, but maybe that's the way it goes these days, I dunno.

I'm really hoping that Miss D will come back and post later in a year or so and tell us how great everything is going.
I just re-read this thread and I suspect Miss D isn't real. Nobody is that stupid - I reckon troll.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 3:28 am

I dunno, bit of a mystery Still... it livened up the Thailand forum
Old Jul 9th 2011, 4:28 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I dunno, bit of a mystery Still... it livened up the Thailand forum
Yeah - I'm mainly on the Canada forums as that's where I live now. Was in bangkok for a few years though so I have the Thai sub-forum on my forum list even though it might only get one or two posts a week.

Surprised there isn't much about the election. The powers behind the yellows won't accept the result, so I wonder how long it will last.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.