Border Run These Days

Old Apr 28th 2011, 10:42 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Border Run These Days

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
A lot of people make this mistake but there is no such thing as a ninety day tourist visa. On a tourist visa it will say that it is valid for three months but this IS NOT the amount of time that you are allowed to stay for. A tourist visa gives you sixty days that can then be extended for a further thirty days for 1900 baht at any immigration office. It does not give you a straight ninety days; the only visa that does that is a non immigrant visa.
Furthermore there is no ' embassy' in Bangkok to apply for a visa. You have to apply in a country outside of Thailand whether it is Laos, Cambodia or wherever.
Regarding Laos, it is 34 $ for the visa to go to Laos with an extra dollar at the weekend and another dollar if it is after 6pm. There is no exit charge to pay from Laos and they seem to have stopped the entrance fee which was only 20 baht anyway. There are about 250 kip to 1 baht.
Whilst I appreciate your taking the time to reply to my post, and I'm sure you know a great deal more about Thai rules, regulations and law than I will ever know, I can assure you that what I wrote is indeed accurate.....can't explain it, but it is so. I saw the visa myself and it IS a 90-day tourist visa, issued in Vientiane, Laos. Make of it what you will; I don't want to start a long, discussion about it, but take it from me my daughter was issued a 90-day Thai tourist visa in Vientiane, and it is a genuine one.

Also on the point of paying an exit fee to leave Laos.....it is small, but they will NOT let you out unless payment is made. This certainly the case at the Friendhsip Bridge between Vientiane and Udon Thani, and it is an exit fee from Laos rather than an entrance fee into Thailand.

Last edited by Jay Bird; Apr 28th 2011 at 10:48 am. Reason: Added a point.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 5:25 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jay Bird
Whilst I appreciate your taking the time to reply to my post, and I'm sure you know a great deal more about Thai rules, regulations and law than I will ever know, I can assure you that what I wrote is indeed accurate.....can't explain it, but it is so. I saw the visa myself and it IS a 90-day tourist visa, issued in Vientiane, Laos. Make of it what you will; I don't want to start a long, discussion about it, but take it from me my daughter was issued a 90-day Thai tourist visa in Vientiane, and it is a genuine one.

Also on the point of paying an exit fee to leave Laos.....it is small, but they will NOT let you out unless payment is made. This certainly the case at the Friendhsip Bridge between Vientiane and Udon Thani, and it is an exit fee from Laos rather than an entrance fee into Thailand.
As I said in my previous post a lot of people make the exact same mistake that you have made. On the visa you were issued it will say that it is VALID for THREE MONTHS, or ninety days. However this is not the amount of time that you are granted on entry into Thailand. This is 60 days.

For example. You are issued a tourist visa on the 1st of May in the Thai Embassy in Laos. This means that you have until the 1st of August ( more or less ) to enter Thailand by. That is where the three months comes from .On entry you will then be given 60 days which can then be extended for another 30 days at any local immigration office for 1900 baht.

When talking about visa validity it is normal to refer to the amount of time given to you to remain in the country, not the amount of time in which the visas validity to use expires by.

I am 100% certain that if you look in your passport at the stamps you will see that with a tourist visa you were given sixty days on arrival in Nong Khai in Thailand.

Also regarding entrance and exit fees, I was talking about Laos in both cases, exit and entrance. You used to have to pay to enter but they seemed to have stopped that the last time I was there. Anyway things change all the time but for sure there is no tourist visa that gives you ninety days on ARRIVAL in Thailand.

I hope that this clarifies things for you.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 6:49 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

As I said in my previous post a lot of people make the exact same mistake that you have made. On the visa you were issued it will say that it is VALID for THREE MONTHS, or ninety days. However this is not the amount of time that you are granted on entry into Thailand. This is 60 days.

For example. You are issued a tourist visa on the 1st of May in the Thai Embassy in Laos. This means that you have until the 1st of August ( more or less ) to enter Thailand by. That is where the three months comes from .On entry you will then be given 60 days which can then be extended for another 30 days at any local immigration office for 1900 baht.

When talking about visa validity it is normal to refer to the amount of time given to you to remain in the country, not the amount of time in which the visas validity to use expires by.

I am 100% certain that if you look in your passport at the stamps you will see that with a tourist visa you were given sixty days on arrival in Nong Khai in Thailand.

Also regarding entrance and exit fees, I was talking about Laos in both cases, exit and entrance. You used to have to pay to enter but they seemed to have stopped that the last time I was there. Anyway things change all the time but for sure there is no tourist visa that gives you ninety days on ARRIVAL in Thailand.

I hope that this clarifies things for you.
Thank you for that...however, I did not need any clarification, as I know what was given. I also know that both entrance and exit fees were paid in the case of Laos. Now, unless you were standing behind me in the queue......
Old May 1st 2011, 8:07 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for that...however, I did not need any clarification, as I know what was given. I also know that both entrance and exit fees were paid in the case of Laos. Now, unless you were standing behind me in the queue......
I know what you were given too. A sixty day tourist visa that is valid for entry for three months.

However, prove me wrong, scan your passport into the computer and show me the stamps where you got ninety days on arrival !!

Cheers
Old May 1st 2011, 8:13 am
itchy feet again!

I know what you were given too. A sixty day tourist visa that is valid for entry for three months.

However, prove me wrong, scan your passport into the computer and show me the stamps where you got ninety days on arrival !!

Cheers
I know you have set yourself up as an authority on All Things Thai, and don't like to be challenged but I don't have a scanner.....it was my daughter's passport which is still in her possession (now in Laos) so couldn't be scanned even if I did feel the need to prove myself to you, which I don't .....take that whichever way you will. If you think you are right, then so be it, but I think you are being rather childish.....

Last edited by Jay Bird; May 1st 2011 at 8:16 am.
Old May 1st 2011, 3:43 pm
itchy feet again!

This link might prove useful

http://www.retire-asia.com/visathai.shtml

This is part of it below (which I have highlighted in blue), and whilst it does, indeed state, a 60-day visitor visa can be issued, I can assure anyone interested my daughter was issued with a 90-day visa, and was NOT charged for it! I don't know why, but there you are....maybe the officials were gearing up for Songkran or Pi Mai with one too many Beerlao!

Visas for Thailand can be obtained from any convenient Royal Thai Embassy or consular office. For example, a British Passport holder can get a Thai visa in London, Los Angeles, Penang, Vientiane or any other Thai Visa Office.

Visa for Thailand from the Royal Thai Embassy, Vientiane

A 60 day visitor visa for Thailand costs 1000 Baht ($30). Applications are accepted before midday only (get there early, preferably by 8.30 a.m.) and will be available for collection the next afternoon. Apply on Friday for Monday collection. This type of visa can be extended at any Immigration Office for a further thirty days for 1900 baht ($55). The Thai Visa Office is located several kilometres from the Morning Market on the road leading to Wat That Luang (opposite Kolao Building).

There is also a Royal Thai Consulate in Savannakhet in southern Laos.
Old May 2nd 2011, 6:37 am

This link might prove useful

http://www.retire-asia.com/visathai.shtml

This is part of it below (which I have highlighted in blue), and whilst it does, indeed state, a 60-day visitor visa can be issued, I can assure anyone interested my daughter was issued with a 90-day visa, and was NOT charged for it! I don't know why, but there you are....maybe the officials were gearing up for Songkran or Pi Mai with one too many Beerlao!

Visas for Thailand can be obtained from any convenient Royal Thai Embassy or consular office. For example, a British Passport holder can get a Thai visa in London, Los Angeles, Penang, Vientiane or any other Thai Visa Office.

Visa for Thailand from the Royal Thai Embassy, Vientiane

A 60 day visitor visa for Thailand costs 1000 Baht ($30). Applications are accepted before midday only (get there early, preferably by 8.30 a.m.) and will be available for collection the next afternoon. Apply on Friday for Monday collection. This type of visa can be extended at any Immigration Office for a further thirty days for 1900 baht ($55). The Thai Visa Office is located several kilometres from the Morning Market on the road leading to Wat That Luang (opposite Kolao Building).

There is also a Royal Thai Consulate in Savannakhet in southern Laos.
Refer you back to my post #10 which pretty much says what you have highlighted. If your daughter got a ninety day visa maybe it was a non-O which would get you ninety days on arrival.

Are you sure that you're not confusing validity with time. On every tourist visa it says it is valid for three months. It is the stamp that they put in your passport on arrival in Thailand that shows you how long you get you want to be looking at.
Old May 2nd 2011, 6:40 am

I know you have set yourself up as an authority on All Things Thai, and don't like to be challenged but I don't have a scanner.....it was my daughter's passport which is still in her possession (now in Laos) so couldn't be scanned even if I did feel the need to prove myself to you, which I don't .....take that whichever way you will. If you think you are right, then so be it, but I think you are being rather childish.....
Challenge away, life's too short. As they say in Thailand ," up to you !! "

just young at heart, not childish.
Old May 2nd 2011, 12:16 pm
itchy feet again!

Challenge away, life's too short. As they say in Thailand ," up to you !! "

just young at heart, not childish.
Old May 2nd 2011, 12:17 pm
itchy feet again!

Refer you back to my post #10 which pretty much says what you have highlighted. If your daughter got a ninety day visa maybe it was a non-O which would get you ninety days on arrival.

Are you sure that you're not confusing validity with time. On every tourist visa it says it is valid for three months. It is the stamp that they put in your passport on arrival in Thailand that shows you how long you get you want to be looking at.
Old May 2nd 2011, 12:33 pm
itchy feet again!

A lot of people make this mistake but there is no such thing as a ninety day tourist visa. On a tourist visa it will say that it is valid for three months but this IS NOT the amount of time that you are allowed to stay for. A tourist visa gives you sixty days that can then be extended for a further thirty days for 1900 baht at any immigration office. It does not give you a straight ninety days; the only visa that does that is a non immigrant visa.
Furthermore there is no ' embassy' in Bangkok to apply for a visa. You have to apply in a country outside of Thailand whether it is Laos, Cambodia or wherever.
Regarding Laos, it is 34 $ for the visa to go to Laos with an extra dollar at the weekend and another dollar if it is after 6pm. There is no exit charge to pay from Laos and they seem to have stopped the entrance fee which was only 20 baht anyway. There are about 250 kip to 1 baht.

ROYAL THAI EMBASSY VIENTIANE, LAO PDR.
Kaysone Phomvihane Avenue, Xaysettha, Vientiane Capital
Tel (856 21) 214581 – 2 Fax (856 21) 214580 Telephone (02) 354-6196 - 97 Fax (02) 354-6194

Old May 15th 2011, 5:34 am

ROYAL THAI EMBASSY VIENTIANE, LAO PDR.
Kaysone Phomvihane Avenue, Xaysettha, Vientiane Capital
Tel (856 21) 214581 – 2 Fax (856 21) 214580 Telephone (02) 354-6196 - 97 Fax (02) 354-6194

good to see we agree on something !