Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Bangkok Skytrain from Airport

Bangkok Skytrain from Airport

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 5:46 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bangkok Skytrain from Airport

Is this open yet or any ideas when?

Thanks!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:44 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bangkok Skytrain from Airport

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
Is this open yet or any ideas when?

Thanks!
As far as I am aware it opens this week. Price 100 Baht into the city. Okay if you are on your own but if you are with people it would work out cheaper and easier to get a taxi. The other problem with it is that there is no direct interchange with the skytrain where it terminates downtown so if you have a lot of bags you will be carrying them up and down stairs. Should be fun in rush hour !
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:11 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks - it has been a bit of a saga this one.

..so where is the nearest skytrain or underground interchange?
Old Aug 25th 2010, 5:26 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

I think you can get on to the BTS ( skytrain ) at Phya Thai and on to the MRT ( underground ) at Petchaburi station from where the airport link terminates at Makkasan. There is no direct interchange at Makkasan though so expect a bit of walking with luggage there and only escalators going one way at Phya Thai so that will be fun as well. Bring an umbrella. Lot of rain at the moment.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:33 pm
Banned

Thanks for the reply. I was last there Jan when the aairport link was supposed to open and it pissed down whe II was trying to get to the airport by taxi - failed and Emirates had little sympathy!

I'll be going in Nov I think.

Cheers and best!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

Unless your hotel / condo etc is just where the Airport link station offices are, frankly speaking its much easier, less trouble, and likely quicker to just get a taxi. THB250 to the centre of town in most areas, give him THB300 and he'll be really happy. Just go to the Departures level on the top floor and get a taxi up there to avoid the taxi scams on the ground floor.
Regards
MP
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:54 pm
Banned

Really?

Booking at the taxi office usually entails a 500 Baht charge and something for the road toll which the taxi driver rips you by charging both ways. This is why I'd rather the skytrain as well as the seasonal rain which can very uickly defeat a vehicle.

Thanks for the advice though.

B3
Old Sep 1st 2010, 1:13 am

Really?

Booking at the taxi office usually entails a 500 Baht charge and something for the road toll which the taxi driver rips you by charging both ways. This is why I'd rather the skytrain as well as the seasonal rain which can very uickly defeat a vehicle.

Thanks for the advice though.

B3
It's 50 baht extra for an airport taxi and Monster P is quite right. Go up to the departures level at the top and just grab a taxi that has just dropped someone off. They're happy to go again as they're not waiting around in a queue for ages. If someone won't use the metre get out and try the next one.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute

have not tried it yet but the skytrain is now running with reports that it is only good if you have light baggage as there is a small walk from its terminal to the other skytrain for the city.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:36 pm
Banned

Thanks for the update - in fact I'm going in Nov and I assure you that my bag will be small.

...well literally if you see what I mean..
Old Oct 27th 2010, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

KhunShay is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the update - in fact I'm going in Nov and I assure you that my bag will be small.

...well literally if you see what I mean..
If you don't mind my asking, about how long will you be staying in Bkk?
Old Oct 28th 2010, 4:12 am
Banned

About a week in fact. And I don't mind you asking.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

About a week in fact. And I don't mind you asking.
Tried it last month, it is excellent, amazingly fast, about 8 times faster than the slow dubai metro..but it's not good if you have heavy luggage...I only had a small suitcase and it was great...There wasn't a lot of taxis available at the station once I arrived at Makkasan...Still it's only a stone's throw to most central areas, including Sukhumvit. Staff were helpful and all smiles as is expected in Thailand...Train nice clean and modern...
Old Apr 17th 2011, 11:22 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Debowing
Tried it last month, it is excellent, amazingly fast, about 8 times faster than the slow dubai metro..but it's not good if you have heavy luggage...I only had a small suitcase and it was great...There wasn't a lot of taxis available at the station once I arrived at Makkasan...Still it's only a stone's throw to most central areas, including Sukhumvit. Staff were helpful and all smiles as is expected in Thailand...Train nice clean and modern...
Does it run 24 hrs per day?
Old Apr 18th 2011, 4:57 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Does it run 24 hrs per day?
It runs about 6am - midnight ish.

I have been trying to find info about this train and it's sketchy.

I particularly like this site, can't work out if it's official or not, the timetable section is interesting!

http://www.bangkokairporttrain.com/t...ble-route.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.