thailand worries......

Old Sep 16th 2003, 11:41 pm
DON

Default thailand worries......

about the money/ valuables situation...
should i take a money belt, day pack, or a fanny/bum pack.....
i've got a padlock for my day pack, i could buy the money belt, but could i wear it under my shirt?
and a fanny pack would be the most convenient, but like the day pack most visible.....

anyone who could give me a guiding hand i would be most grateful.
i am going with a good mate of mine, and we will be looking out for each other.....

Old Oct 10th 2003, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

joely is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: thailand worries......

Don

Don't worry so much, a bit of common sense goes a long way. A money belt is a good idea and I recommend you use one. However they're so common these days that any one looking to steal from you knows where you keep you're valuables. That said you can't really pick pocket a money belt! and any kind armed robbery / violence against tourists in Thailand is pretty rare. I honestly feel safer walking the streets of Bangkok at three in the morning than I do in London. Keep your cash, t checks and what have you in different places on your person when you go out. Some down a sock, one in that little inside pocket of your jeans etc and just be sensible. Not hard if you're a drinker I know! Those fanny packs are cool but I'd never keep anything valuable in them as it's too easy for someone to grab and run.
I'm sure you'll have a great trip
Joel

BTW I lived in Thailand for about 8 years and never had anything stolen....I do tend to view everyone as a potential criminal though

Originally posted by DON
about the money/ valuables situation...
should i take a money belt, day pack, or a fanny/bum pack.....
i've got a padlock for my day pack, i could buy the money belt, but could i wear it under my shirt?
and a fanny pack would be the most convenient, but like the day pack most visible.....

anyone who could give me a guiding hand i would be most grateful.
i am going with a good mate of mine, and we will be looking out for each other.....
Old Oct 10th 2003, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Blackpuddin is an unknown quantity at this point

Got to agree with Don

The only time I got mugged in the last ten years was when I went back home to Sheffield

Keep only as much cash on you as you reasonably need.
Any good credit card can be used in almost all ATM machines here which are plentiful - Thailand is a civilized country

If someone starts talking to you and it sounds like aa scam it will probably be a scam

So no visits to gem shops
and never never get in a stationary taxi - always flag down a moving taxi - they all got meters - make sure they use them.

And finally - as I am everyones friend - If you are really worried about your money - you can leave it all with me. You can always find me later down the beach somewhere

Happy holidays - Mike www.bangkok-companies.com

Last edited by Blackpuddin; Oct 10th 2003 at 5:20 pm.