Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Bangkok Airport & Lounges

Bangkok Airport & Lounges

Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

dedrei is a jewel in the roughdedrei is a jewel in the roughdedrei is a jewel in the roughdedrei is a jewel in the roughdedrei is a jewel in the rough
Default Bangkok Airport & Lounges

Hi Guys

Any of you stopped over in Bangkok at all? We have about a 3 hour wait for our connecting flight, which is another 11 hour flight.

Need to take a shower, etc. Heard about lounges that you just pay a few bucks and book and then you are all set. Can you do this at Bangkok too? Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Haven't been to Bangkok airport before.

Thanks
Dedrei
Old Aug 21st 2007, 8:31 am
Just Joined

BugBabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bangkok Airport & Lounges

Hi, we had a 3 hour stop over in Bangkok last year.
Dont remeber seeing showers but there were places where you could have a massage!

Our flight was delayed by an hour so it was a while before we could get into the departure lounge, there is hardly any seats in the main section (derr, cant remeber what you call it ) so we sat on the floor with what seemed like every other traveller in Bangkok. But it was very clean and everyone was very poilte, so it didnt seem too bad
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:30 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

You may be aware that a new airport opened last year in Bangkok, I have not been there yet so can't say if there are showers (surely there would be in a new airport!?!?). Most international flights are going to this new airport called the Bangkok International Suvarnabhumi Airport (it inherited the BKK airport title from the old Don Muang airport).

Not sure where flights are going at the moment cause I think they had some problems with the new airport terminal (runway safety fears because it has a slippery surface or something) so in some weather they are directing flights to the OLD airport.

the old airport definately had showers cause my girlfriend used them on a previous stop over!

Here is the airport website that might help (although I can't find any reference to showers):

www.bangkokairportonline.com

I am stopping over there on Sunday (I presume at the new airport) so I can let you know after that...if my plane slips off the runway on landing I'll let you know if it was the surface causing problems......

(my girlfriend is a little scared of flying so I won't mention that little runway thing to her till AFTER we are safely back in the air

For info....from a recent article on the internet somewhere...although I am sure most of these problems have now been ironed out! And if not then I'll be stuck there a few days from now!!

"Thai newpapers report new problems with the airport with embarrassing regularity. Issues range from the most serious of cracks on the runway and other construction problems to complaints from passengers of poor signage, long queues and inadequate facilities. In the initial period after opening these problems were compounded by up to 100,000 Thais coming to visit and picnic in the airport each day and putting strain on the airports facilities, but with waning public interest this is thankfully no longer a problem.

The root cause of the problems appears to be a rush to open the airport before it was really ready, and several senior Airports Authority of Thailand officials have been removed from their posts as a result of the mess. Latest (February 2007) reports are that Don Muang airport is to be re-opened for both international and domestic flights, to relieve some of the pressure from Suvarnabhumi and to allow the much needed repairs to take place. How this will work in practice is unclear at this point, but it could well mean passengers needing to travel between the two airports (a one hour or longer journey) in order to board a connecting flight. If you think this could affect you, you're well advised to check with your airline as soon as possible for the latest news....."
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

dedrei is a jewel in the roughdedrei is a jewel in the roughdedrei is a jewel in the roughdedrei is a jewel in the roughdedrei is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Andy. I was under the impression we land at the new one. Read somewhere that the old one only gets used to help out with domestic flights. Would love to hear your experience of the airport once you get back.

We arrive at 22.00 and only leave at 00.15. I am assuming the airport shops etc. are still open that time of the night. Have no ideas, as I can't get anything of the internet about it. As well as the shower thing.

Has anybody else experienced the new Bangkok airport?
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

TBH with only 2 1/4 hours to transfer I'd be more worried about making my connecting flight rather than checking out the airport - it doesn't allow for much delay. Maybe that's just me though
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:59 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
TBH with only 2 1/4 hours to transfer I'd be more worried about making my connecting flight rather than checking out the airport - it doesn't allow for much delay. Maybe that's just me though
I agree here - I do 2-3 of these long haul flights a year (have doen the Syndey-London trip no less than a dozen times in 3 years) and I find that a 2 hour stop-over (or thereabouts) is perfect.

By the time you land, get off the plane, wander to the middle of the terminal, have a coffee and a poke around the shops it will be time to get back on the plan again! Keep in mind that you'l;l have to be back at the boarding gate 45 mins or so before the plane departs!
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

We landed at the new airport the day after it opened in September last year. Very, very shopping focused. Huge and long walks everywhere, wouldn't be much fun with small kids. Main criticism was how few toilets there were, the signposting for which was non-existent. Hopefully that has since been resolved.