Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

All you need to know about Phuket

All you need to know about Phuket

Old Nov 26th 2011, 6:47 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default All you need to know about Phuket

For anyone that would like to know all about Phuket, here's a thread for you

I lived in Phuket, in the south of the island, for about 2 and a half years. It wasn't for me. I tried. I love the food. The language is challenging. The beaches are lovely. The driving is awful. There is some amazing scenery. But for full time living, the place is more suited for those who like the "beach life". I'm not a beach person. But it was a life experience for sure. And, at the time, we needed a place to escape to, to avoid having to go back to UK. In that respect, it fitted the bill.

A lot of folks think that Phuket is Patong. It is not. I hated Patong. It's sleazy and tacky IMHO.

Aside from the food (which everyone knows is fab), there is some gorgeous scenery all around the island. You really need to hire a car and just explore. I've just uploaded some pics to the BE gallery on here. So if anyone is interested in the "real" Phuket, have a look.

Is it a good holiday destination? I would say Yes. Lots of lovely places to stay.... Chalong and Rawai in the south-east. Nai Harn and Kata in the south-west. Laguna area (with Mai Khao beach) in the north-west.

The north-east is still being developed slowly. There is a sizeable Muslim community there and not 1 girlie bar in sight. Yup... it's still Phuket. A couple of nice hotels are popping up around that area. You also have Ao Po Marina in the north-east where you can get boat trips around Phang Nga bay, which is beautiful.

For those that like boating, there's currently 3 other marinas on the east side of the island. The east side is relatively sheltered.

Most of the tourism is centred around the west of the island. In the winter, roughly December to February, the waters are calm. When the south-west monsoon kicks in in May (until roughly October) it's breezy and sometimes blustery. The seas on the west side of the island can be dangerous during that time with undercurrents. There are actually quite a lot of deaths by drowning at this time of the year, as folks don't realise just how strong the undercurrents are.

Anyone else got anything to say about Phuket? Good or bad.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 12:02 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All you need to know about Phuket

I agree with your comments. I guess Phuket can offer something for everyone.

It's easy now to forget its tragedy. My wife and I were in a Taxi, and we commented on how good the ocean road was. The driver told us it has been buuilt after the tsunami. We foolishly asked him if he had been affected. He had lost his home, his restaurant, and his wife and family. Slowly he was getting his life back together.

It really is a beautiful place, the food is great, the people nice.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 2:29 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

That's very sad.

Phuket is certainly a funny ol' place. It's a pity that Nonthaburi is indisposed at the moment, as he's got a lot to say about the place and none too complimentary Just offers a different side to the subject.

There's a lot of negative I could say about day-to-day living there, and I've probably already said a lot on here... but it's good for a holiday I reckon. I certainly enjoy the place more now that I don't live there full-time. It's a bit odd really.

Anyone else want to throw their 2 bahts worth into this thread? I know we have a couple of folks on this forum actually living there I think?

Last edited by bakedbean; Nov 30th 2011 at 2:30 am. Reason: wonky English.... not woken up yet
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 4:07 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Well you know how I feel about the place so I don't want to go into that here but millions of people go there every year so if they're happy...........

Personally there are other places for a better beach scene elsewhere in Thailand for me. I like things a lot less touristy when I'm on holiday so that plays a big part in it.

I'm actually looking more at Cambodia now for a beach holiday because it's so much better value.

Anyway, I'm back in BKK now having just cleaned my house so expect my post count to be on the rise !
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 5:49 am

Good to see you back Nonthaburi Hope the house is drying out.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Hmm. Interesting thread this and quite timely, not from the living front for me though. Just a quick 5-6 day break after CNY. Not tried Phuket before, mostly I like BKK for short breaks, plenty of night-life. Do fancy some 'beach time' this time though so Phuket might fit the bill, just so long as there is enough to do. I sure don't fancy some 'sea of tranquility' (read boredom) for 5 nights.

Contemplating the Holiday Inn at Patong Beach. Interesting what NTB says about Cambodia. Considering that and Viet Nam too but running out of time seeing as I need to research and book ASAP. Direct flights from Penang to wherever I end up going are a must, no KL interlude this time around TQVM.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 12:29 pm

oh Atilla. Do not go to Patong. Do not go to Patong. And also... do not go to Patong. hope i am clear.

Beach time yeh it's a good place and it is not like Langkawi. Dont know what you want to spend but Rawai (good nightlife too.. PM me.. some crazy bars) is nice. Nai Harn has fab beach but loads of nice eateries in the village, nightclub also but need to watch out. if you want to spend, Cape Panwa is gorgeous. Ex PM Abhisit holidays there and it is quite stunning. hire a car and look around, lovely scenery. And also.... Patong don't don't don't . it is tacky sleazy downmarket. Folks go there then they complain about Phuket.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Haha. OK. Will drop a PM maybe Monday or Tues, Mon will be a hectic day.

Only thing I don't want is to be in some sleepy backwater for near on a week. There has to be enough to do in terms of going out and it has to be close by, no 30 minute taxi drive to the nearest sign of life. Even 1-2 clubs would be a bonus. May well be another couple of friends will come as well, in which case some sleeze won't go amiss, just not full-on. Ordinarily I'd go to BKK for the nightlife, just fancy a bit of beach as well but not at the expense of being bored stiff come sundown, it's CNY after all
Old Jan 15th 2012, 10:24 pm

Rawai is good fun. Evason resort supposed to be good. i'm flying out of penang today but prob back online on Weds
Old Jan 17th 2012, 3:47 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atilla
Hmm. Interesting thread this and quite timely, not from the living front for me though. Just a quick 5-6 day break after CNY. Not tried Phuket before, mostly I like BKK for short breaks, plenty of night-life. Do fancy some 'beach time' this time though so Phuket might fit the bill, just so long as there is enough to do. I sure don't fancy some 'sea of tranquility' (read boredom) for 5 nights.

Contemplating the Holiday Inn at Patong Beach. Interesting what NTB says about Cambodia. Considering that and Viet Nam too but running out of time seeing as I need to research and book ASAP. Direct flights from Penang to wherever I end up going are a must, no KL interlude this time around TQVM.
was in Cambodia a couple of weeks ago and I like it a lot, needs some better infrastructure but it is definitely on the up.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

hmunker is an unknown quantity at this point

Bakedbean you didnt mention the view from Promthep Cape..
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:06 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Well you know how I feel about the place so I don't want to go into that here but millions of people go there every year so if they're happy...........

Personally there are other places for a better beach scene elsewhere in Thailand for me. I like things a lot less touristy when I'm on holiday so that plays a big part in it.

I'm actually looking more at Cambodia now for a beach holiday because it's so much better value.

Anyway, I'm back in BKK now having just cleaned my house so expect my post count to be on the rise !
I agree about somewhere less touristy, but on the other hand my work is taking me to a series of remote pacific atolls. They look the full deal. Grass skirts, palm trees, turquoise lagoons, and brilliant blue sky's and oceans. And not a backpacker in sight!

On the other hand the vast majority of the population crap on the beaches, the lagoons have incredible ecoli levels, the few places to eat look like germ warfare units, and the only shop is an empty hut - unless the ship just came in. No TV, no driving rules, and a population who drink too much and then chase me with cleavers.

After that Phuket doesn't look so bad
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:25 am

Yes it's all relative isn't it.

I note under your avatar it says you are Back in Sydney. I presume that is not the place you are referring to (crapping on the beach, chasing with cleavers)
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:56 am
Not allowed opinions.

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Yes it's all relative isn't it.

I note under your avatar it says you are Back in Sydney. I presume that is not the place you are referring to (crapping on the beach, chasing with cleavers)
Not far off the mark!

Crapping on the beach is Tarawa, meat cleaver is Nauru. Both are nice places and I love the people, but they aren't in the 21C yet.

Doubtless some in Thailand crap on beaches too - but not 50,000 of them on a smsll beach every morning
Old Jan 18th 2012, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Not far off the mark!

Crapping on the beach is Tarawa, meat cleaver is Nauru. Both are nice places and I love the people, but they aren't in the 21C yet.

Doubtless some in Thailand crap on beaches too - but not 50,000 of them on a smsll beach every morning
a lot of dogs though on some beaches.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.