British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Thailand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/thailand-154/)
-   -   6 month requirement on passport for entry/holiday visa? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/thailand-154/6-month-requirement-passport-entry-holiday-visa-919491/)

Victor Meldrew Nov 21st 2018 1:56 pm

6 month requirement on passport for entry/holiday visa?

I am calling on the expertise and experience of people on this board:

I am due to come to Thailand with my wife for a 10 day holiday from 2nd December to 12th December. My passport expires 2020, but my wife's expires in just over 5 months. She is Portugese, I am British.

I am hearing mixed messages that you have to have 6 months minimum left on your passport in order to be granted a visa. Other threads say that this is not the case and, as long as your passport covers the period you are in Thailand and you have a return ticket (which we do), you are OK.

Can somebody please help clarify the reality of the situation?

Thank you in advance

BritInParis Nov 21st 2018 10:23 pm

Re: 6 month requirement on passport for entry/holiday visa?

British and Portuguese passport holders do not require a visa for visits of up to 30 days.

The rule is at least six months validity from your date of arrival but the immigration officer can grant an exemption so long as the passport is valid for the duration of your stay.

nonthaburi Nov 25th 2018 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 12597121)
I am calling on the expertise and experience of people on this board:

I am due to come to Thailand with my wife for a 10 day holiday from 2nd December to 12th December. My passport expires 2020, but my wife's expires in just over 5 months. She is Portugese, I am British.

I am hearing mixed messages that you have to have 6 months minimum left on your passport in order to be granted a visa. Other threads say that this is not the case and, as long as your passport covers the period you are in Thailand and you have a return ticket (which we do), you are OK.

Can somebody please help clarify the reality of the situation?

Thank you in advance

you're both visa exempt, and given 30 days so no need for a visa, so it's at the discretion of the IO. A long as you can show funds to support yourselves and a return ticket you'll probably be fine.

Thairetired2016 Nov 27th 2018 1:56 pm

"you'll probably be fine".
Rely on "probably"?
I'd rather rely on info from Royal Thai Consulate or Embassy.

BritInParis Nov 27th 2018 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 (Post 12600204)
"you'll probably be fine".
Rely on "probably"?
I'd rather rely on info from Royal Thai Consulate or Embassy.

Who will tell you it’s at the discretion of the immigration officer. No-one, including the Embassy, can give the OP any guarantees.