British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Thailand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/thailand-154/)
-   -   3 month "working holiday" in Bangkok (https://britishexpats.com/forum/thailand-154/3-month-working-holiday-bangkok-920647/)

Elgin1983 Jan 2nd 2019 10:36 pm

3 month "working holiday" in Bangkok

Hi everyone,
I'll be leaving my current job soon, and my next one won't be starting for a few months, so I'm thinking about spending some time in Thailand as so many friends have encouraged me to do. I'll probably stay around 3 months, as I understand it's easy to get a 60 day visa which can be extended for another 30 days.

Is it easy to find cheap, reasonable accommodation in Bangkok (single apt with kitchen/bathroom/wifi) which can be rented on a monthly basis? What kind of damage are we looking at? Also, I'd like to do a bit of teaching English while I'm there.....nothing full time, but maybe 20 hours or 3 days a week, which will leave plenty of time for travelling and having fun. Are there language schools one can rock up to and find employment at short notice? (I have a degree and CELTA teaching qualification from a previous life). Again, what's the deal?

Any and all assistance much appreciated 😁

spouse of scouse Jan 3rd 2019 5:44 am

Re: 3 month "working holiday" in Bangkok

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements

Thairetired2016 Jan 3rd 2019 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Elgin1983 (Post 12615422)
Hi everyone,
I'll be leaving my current job soon, and my next one won't be starting for a few months, so I'm thinking about spending some time in Thailand as so many friends have encouraged me to do. I'll probably stay around 3 months, as I understand it's easy to get a 60 day visa which can be extended for another 30 days.

Is it easy to find cheap, reasonable accommodation in Bangkok (single apt with kitchen/bathroom/wifi) which can be rented on a monthly basis? What kind of damage are we looking at? Also, I'd like to do a bit of teaching English while I'm there.....nothing full time, but maybe 20 hours or 3 days a week, which will leave plenty of time for travelling and having fun. Are there language schools one can rock up to and find employment at short notice? (I have a degree and CELTA teaching qualification from a previous life). Again, what's the deal?

You would break the law working on a tourist visa.
Would a Thai tourist be allowed to work without a permit in your country?

Penalties are severe and accomodation in IDC is rather basic.

Elgin1983 Jan 4th 2019 8:47 am

"Would a Thai tourist be allowed to work without a permit in your country?"

Yes. Ever heard of a sanctuary city?

Looking for practical advice, not pious lectures, thanks.

Thairetired2016 Jan 4th 2019 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Elgin1983 (Post 12616090)

The fact is that you intend to work illegally.

Pollyana Jan 4th 2019 2:09 pm

Nothing pious about it, its to do with immigration law not religious beliefs.

christmasoompa Jan 4th 2019 4:09 pm

You've been advised that you cannot work without a permit in Thailand, so there's your answer on that.

I'm sure that others will be along to help you with working out cost of hiring an apartment etc, maybe if you can't do the full 3 months without working you could just go for less time on your savings.

Best of luck.

Elgin1983 Jan 6th 2019 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 (Post 12616210)
The fact is that you intend to work illegally.

If nobody had ever done anything "illegal" we would still all be feudal serfs. Which some people here would probably quite enjoy.

Pollyana Jan 6th 2019 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Elgin1983 (Post 12616874)
If nobody had ever done anything "illegal" we would still all be feudal serfs. Which some people here would probably quite enjoy.

It is however a rule of the forum that we do not condone illegal activities especially when it comes to immigration, nor will members of BE assist others to break the law

Thairetired2016 Jan 6th 2019 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Elgin1983 (Post 12616874)

I suggest you contact the Royal Thai Embassy in London or any of the Thai consulates for information.

ZachJBrodsky Feb 3rd 2019 2:43 am

Originally Posted by Elgin1983 (Post 12615422)
Is it easy to find cheap, reasonable accommodation in Bangkok (single apt with kitchen/bathroom/wifi) which can be rented on a monthly basis? What kind of damage are we looking at?

Yes very easy, if you go off the beat and track you can find cheap cheap, but you will probably want to be at least nearish to the sky train. If you google and search sites like hipflat you will find some nice clean and reasonable places around On Nut BTS and a little further down the Sky Train line for as cheap as 8,000 baht a month.