100 Baht a month

Old Apr 10th 2013, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Jackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to all
Default Re: 100 Baht a month

I wasnt talking about rich Thais I was talking about the many Thais who drive cars that don't reflect their income because looking better off than they are is very important to them. And of course it has to be a new car.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 10:02 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jackwow
It should be remembered that whereas in the west someone is more likely to spend their income getting on the property ladder than buying a flash car many Thais would rather live in a rented box so that they can be seen driving a new Merc or BMW, i.e., the flash car isn't necessarily a good reflection of their income.
With a lot of people this is true , but with a BMW or a Mercedes they probably are pretty loaded . A lot of these brand new Toyotas and Hondas you see around are probably killing people with the repayments though . It is worth remembering though that a lot of people will stay in the family home till late if they can so no rent to pay, and some government workers can get cheap loans .
Old Apr 10th 2013, 1:55 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's fair to say that anyone driving an imported car in Thailand is probably loaded.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 4:23 pm
CM, LoS

wolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud of

Mercs and BMWs are made here, so are much cheaper than a lot of imported cars - in fact Minis and VW Beetles are in the same price range (with up to 350% import tax). Now if you see a Jag, Roller, Italian supercar, then we are talking seriously loaded!
Old Apr 13th 2013, 6:25 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

at over 4m baht the BMs still aren't cheap though . If I had the money......

http://www.thailandluxurious.com/6/t...ious-bmw-525d/
Old May 23rd 2013, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

fatboy25kg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ontwo
100k baht a month is tight, but doable.

I lived there for 4 years and spent 250k baht a month, some people see that as over the top, but I did what I wanted to do and enjoyed my time there.

I could move there on 100k baht a month, but I would not be living it large.
That's what about 62k a year net. I guess you'd need to be earning 100k in the uk to be spending 62k. A 100k a year in the UK is living it large.

250k living in Thailand is insanely high - that's how mullti millionaries live in the UK.
Old May 23rd 2013, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

fatboy25kg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
I always laugh when I read rubbish like this . Even at 100k you are still earning vastly more than most Thais . You tell them it is just about 'doable' and they will laugh in your face .
It's also about equivalent to the average UK salary . Plenty of people in the UK seem to get by , and this is in a country where the main things are a lot more expensive . Most normal people do budget , it's sort of what everyone does . How many people can actually spend money without thinking about it at all .
As for the not drinking , staying in thing , you probably won't be in an expensive bar in Silom somewhere paying 300 for a drink every night but you would have money to spend . Plenty of places to go where you can have some food and drinks and it's not going to break the bank .
If I was on a 100k a month I would rent a house somewhere out of the city a bit for maybe 10k+ a month , bills another 10k on top probably , that still leaves you 80k a month to play with .
50 notes say Nontaburi has taken the arse because he was a TEFL teacher in Thailand.
Old May 24th 2013, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

HannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant future

I would say 250K is excessive a month because that equates to around 5.5K GPB a month, so 100K should easily be manageable. That is a lot of money, and you should really take note that it is a lot cheaper in Thailand, food prices amongst other things like travel isn't quite as expensive, as long as you know where to look. You can find places to rent a month that's in the region of 20K a month depending on how lavish a lifestyle you wish to have.
Old May 25th 2013, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by fatboy25kg
50 notes say Nontaburi has taken the arse because he was a TEFL teacher in Thailand.
thanks for your input to the forum there Fatboy .
Old Oct 18th 2013, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

bkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud of

If you've got kids, International schools are expensive. 100K/month is probably not going to work out if you've got a couple of kids.

Unlike an earlier poster, I'd actually suggest that you'd be better off with a place near the office. Literally within walking distance preferably, so that you don't have to deal with rush hour traffic. (I took my kids to school and it was never fun, and that wasn't all the way in to the centre...)

A lot would actually depend on where your office is located. If it's not central, you're basically forced to have a car, and with the monstrous import duties and cheap labour (mechanics), even old cars are very expensive by UK standards.

I was also on a lot more than 100K, but with three kids in school, house payments and car payments, and still paying the mortgage on our place in the UK, it all got swallowed up pretty quickly.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

ontwo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by HannahJ38
I would say 250K is excessive a month because that equates to around 5.5K GPB a month, so 100K should easily be manageable. That is a lot of money, and you should really take note that it is a lot cheaper in Thailand, food prices amongst other things like travel isn't quite as expensive, as long as you know where to look. You can find places to rent a month that's in the region of 20K a month depending on how lavish a lifestyle you wish to have.
I did not say 250k was not excessive (I also did not say it was excessive), I simply said it is what I spent on average over a month (including everything - car hire, rent, bills, purchasing goods for the accommodation, buying motorbikes, going out, paying for my son to come and visit me 3 times, and all his expenses, paying for a full time Thai teacher to teach me Thai, holidays etc.).

The focus being 100k a month for a senior position (not an average wage position in the west) and then moving to another country and all that entails.
If you love Thailand, sure it can be done, but not a "wow" salary.

One can always look around for cheap places, and cheaper ways to do things.

So sure I could live on 100k baht a month, I would just have to think more about what I spend.
Would I take a senior management position in Thailand for 100k baht a year, no - unless I wanted to be in Thailand and take the financial hit.