British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Teaching (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/)
-   -   Written statement addressing selection criteria (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/written-statement-addressing-selection-criteria-302174/)

The Mackay Mob May 11th 2005 3:53 am

Written statement addressing selection criteria
 
Has anyone got any experience of completing written statements addressing the selection criteria for Queensland?

I have got my registration through but am struggling with getting down to doing the actual job application.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

ahoy May 11th 2005 4:48 am

Re: Written statement addressing selection criteria
 

Originally Posted by The Mackay Mob
Has anyone got any experience of completing written statements addressing the selection criteria for Queensland?

I have got my registration through but am struggling with getting down to doing the actual job application.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

sorry, i don't have any experience. i'm replying to ask you a question! i'm waiting for the visa so that i can photocopy it and send it with my application for registration. i'm just wondering if you had any problems with your application for reg. any advice? and, once you sent it off, did it take long to come back? did you apply in advance from blighty? sorry, that's several questions.

The Mackay Mob May 11th 2005 10:28 am

Re: Written statement addressing selection criteria
 

Originally Posted by ahoy
sorry, i don't have any experience. i'm replying to ask you a question! i'm waiting for the visa so that i can photocopy it and send it with my application for registration. i'm just wondering if you had any problems with your application for reg. any advice? and, once you sent it off, did it take long to come back? did you apply in advance from blighty? sorry, that's several questions.

I applied from Oz, it took a few weeks, maybe 5 or 6. I was asked to provide details of my college course from nearly twenty years ago, along with a detailed breakdown of full/part-time teaching experience so that slowed things up a bit, it was also Xmas, so post was slower than usual.
I can't see why you wouldn't be able to do it from England. Just make sure you have a letter from your county office showing when you worked and whether it was f/t or p/t. Make sure you have details of your degree (I found the university was used to getting this sort of course breakdown request from abroad so it wasn't any problem) .
Good luck, let me know if you need any more info.

LindyLoo May 11th 2005 1:34 pm

Re: Written statement addressing selection criteria
 

Originally Posted by The Mackay Mob
Has anyone got any experience of completing written statements addressing the selection criteria for Queensland?

I have got my registration through but am struggling with getting down to doing the actual job application.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I've just started teaching here. So I have all my paper work stored electronically. Remind me what the written statement contains and I'll forward mine. I have about 10 different documents, for DIMA, teachers' registration and the government application form.

ahoy May 11th 2005 6:56 pm

Re: Written statement addressing selection criteria
 

Originally Posted by The Mackay Mob
I applied from Oz, it took a few weeks, maybe 5 or 6. I was asked to provide details of my college course from nearly twenty years ago, along with a detailed breakdown of full/part-time teaching experience so that slowed things up a bit, it was also Xmas, so post was slower than usual.
I can't see why you wouldn't be able to do it from England. Just make sure you have a letter from your county office showing when you worked and whether it was f/t or p/t. Make sure you have details of your degree (I found the university was used to getting this sort of course breakdown request from abroad so it wasn't any problem) .
Good luck, let me know if you need any more info.

thanks, good luck with your job search and the rest of the application process. i'd be interested in how it all goes.

The Mackay Mob May 11th 2005 9:25 pm

Re: Written statement addressing selection criteria
 

Originally Posted by LindyLoo
I've just started teaching here. So I have all my paper work stored electronically. Remind me what the written statement contains and I'll forward mine. I have about 10 different documents, for DIMA, teachers' registration and the government application form.

Thanks LindyLoo, I appreciate your help!

The statement is the 1000 words of waffle that goes to the assessment panel.
It has 4 criteria, (supporting reference to educational theory with e.g.s of experience putting theory into practise is the bit I'm struggling with)

SC1 Ability to apply appropriate knowledge in order to plan and prepare learning and teaching programs....
SC2 Knowledge of, and ability to implement, effective and inclusive learning and teaching processes...
SC3Ability to communicate effectively with students.....
SC4 An understanding of the need to work collaboratively with school staff and wider members of the community....

Hope you can help! Thanks again.
What age group do you teach by the way?

LindyLoo May 13th 2005 8:43 am

Re: Written statement addressing selection criteria
 

Originally Posted by ahoy
sorry, i don't have any experience. i'm replying to ask you a question! i'm waiting for the visa so that i can photocopy it and send it with my application for registration. i'm just wondering if you had any problems with your application for reg. any advice? and, once you sent it off, did it take long to come back? did you apply in advance from blighty? sorry, that's several questions.

You don't need your visa to apply to teach here. Just let them know that you are applying and they will process your application form.

It took me about 10 weeks applying from the UK to get my Queensland registration. Once you have your registration then you are able to apply for teaching jobs with the Education Authority of that state.

LindyLoo May 13th 2005 8:46 am

Re: Written statement addressing selection criteria
 

Originally Posted by The Mackay Mob
Thanks LindyLoo, I appreciate your help!

The statement is the 1000 words of waffle that goes to the assessment panel.
It has 4 criteria, (supporting reference to educational theory with e.g.s of experience putting theory into practise is the bit I'm struggling with)

SC1 Ability to apply appropriate knowledge in order to plan and prepare learning and teaching programs....
SC2 Knowledge of, and ability to implement, effective and inclusive learning and teaching processes...
SC3Ability to communicate effectively with students.....
SC4 An understanding of the need to work collaboratively with school staff and wider members of the community....

Hope you can help! Thanks again.
What age group do you teach by the way?

I teach 14-18 year olds IT for my sins. I have to say the kids are so much better here, compared to the ones I was teaching in Australia.

I've PM'd my reference from my depute head teacher, it was done for the South Australia application form. But you should find enought jargon in there to make up your 1000 words. A lot of it can come straight out of the arrangement documents.

Hope it helps.

The Mackay Mob May 14th 2005 9:40 am

Re: Written statement addressing selection criteria
 

Originally Posted by LindyLoo
I teach 14-18 year olds IT for my sins. I have to say the kids are so much better here, compared to the ones I was teaching in Australia.

I've PM'd my reference from my depute head teacher, it was done for the South Australia application form. But you should find enought jargon in there to make up your 1000 words. A lot of it can come straight out of the arrangement documents.

Hope it helps.

Thanks LindyLoo, you're a star!
It's just the type of jargon I need for inspiration!
Next time we're in Brisbane we'll have to meet up so I can buy you a beer or three!
Not sure what you mean by 'arrangement documents' though?!
Thanks again, it's been a great help.

LindyLoo May 14th 2005 12:31 pm

Re: Written statement addressing selection criteria
 

Originally Posted by The Mackay Mob
Not sure what you mean by 'arrangement documents' though?!
Thanks again, it's been a great help.

Curriculum/syllabus/arrangements documents. The bits of paper that tell you what to teach... the official stuff.

"I teach 14-18 year olds IT for my sins. I have to say the kids are so much better here, compared to the ones I was teaching in Australia." I meant SCOTLAND.

I have left Scotland and now live in OZ. Kids are better behaved in Australia in my experience.


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:39 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.