Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Where to find students for Skype?

Where to find students for Skype?

Reply

Old Jun 9th 2018, 8:14 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 2
Krayen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to find students for Skype?

About to get my TEFL/TESOL certification, and I am wondering where or how is the best way to find foreign students to teach them English thru Skype? I'm a white American so I assume I would be in pretty high demand as an English teacher. I'd like to focus on East Asia, that is Japan, Taiwan, and South Korea. Anyone have any idea where I would go about finding students for online Skype english lessons?
Krayen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th 2018, 8:57 am
  #2  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Back in Oz
Posts: 8,840
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to find students for Skype?

Originally Posted by Krayen View Post
About to get my TEFL/TESOL certification, and I am wondering where or how is the best way to find foreign students to teach them English thru Skype? I'm a white American so I assume I would be in pretty high demand as an English teacher. I'd like to focus on East Asia, that is Japan, Taiwan, and South Korea. Anyone have any idea where I would go about finding students for online Skype english lessons?
If you don't have contacts in those regions you're going to have to develop some. Contacting universities, colleges and schools may help. You could also develop your own web page and advertise your services in local media.

I'd be a bit careful of the terminology you use to describe your qualifications. Being 'white' doesn't mean your services would be better, in more demand or more attractive to potential clients. Being a native of an English speaking country, on the other hand, is useful to add. If a potential client is interested in the cultural differences of English language use in the US, UK etc then stating your nationality may be useful.
spouse of scouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th 2018, 3:14 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 2
Krayen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to find students for Skype?

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
If you don't have contacts in those regions you're going to have to develop some. Contacting universities, colleges and schools may help. You could also develop your own web page and advertise your services in local media.

I'd be a bit careful of the terminology you use to describe your qualifications. Being 'white' doesn't mean your services would be better, in more demand or more attractive to potential clients. Being a native of an English speaking country, on the other hand, is useful to add. If a potential client is interested in the cultural differences of English language use in the US, UK etc then stating your nationality may be useful.
While I agree with you that racism is an ugly thing, you also need to understand that the whole concept of "political correctness" does not exist in Asia. Like, if I was an African American and I posted an ad in Korean media saying "American english teacher for hire", as soon as they had a video chat with me and saw my skin color, they would probably disconnect, or at best, politely not contact me again after the conversation was over.

So yes, "white privilege" does indeed exist in Asia, although I would not be so tasteless as to post an ad "WHITE American english teacher for hire".
Krayen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th 2018, 10:46 pm
  #4  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Back in Oz
Posts: 8,840
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to find students for Skype?

Originally Posted by Krayen View Post
While I agree with you that racism is an ugly thing, you also need to understand that the whole concept of "political correctness" does not exist in Asia. Like, if I was an African American and I posted an ad in Korean media saying "American english teacher for hire", as soon as they had a video chat with me and saw my skin color, they would probably disconnect, or at best, politely not contact me again after the conversation was over.

So yes, "white privilege" does indeed exist in Asia, although I would not be so tasteless as to post an ad "WHITE American english teacher for hire".
Actually, I don't 'need to understand' any such thing - my Masters degree was in Asian studies and I've both lived and worked in the region.
As well as giving you advice re contacts, I was giving you a friendly tip. You're welcome...
spouse of scouse is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service