British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Teaching (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/)
-   -   Where to find students for Skype? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/where-find-students-skype-913751/)

Krayen Jun 9th 2018 8:14 pm

Where to find students for Skype?

About to get my TEFL/TESOL certification, and I am wondering where or how is the best way to find foreign students to teach them English thru Skype? I'm a white American so I assume I would be in pretty high demand as an English teacher. I'd like to focus on East Asia, that is Japan, Taiwan, and South Korea. Anyone have any idea where I would go about finding students for online Skype english lessons?

spouse of scouse Jun 11th 2018 8:57 am

Re: Where to find students for Skype?

Originally Posted by Krayen (Post 12513321)
About to get my TEFL/TESOL certification, and I am wondering where or how is the best way to find foreign students to teach them English thru Skype? I'm a white American so I assume I would be in pretty high demand as an English teacher. I'd like to focus on East Asia, that is Japan, Taiwan, and South Korea. Anyone have any idea where I would go about finding students for online Skype english lessons?

If you don't have contacts in those regions you're going to have to develop some. Contacting universities, colleges and schools may help. You could also develop your own web page and advertise your services in local media.

I'd be a bit careful of the terminology you use to describe your qualifications. Being 'white' doesn't mean your services would be better, in more demand or more attractive to potential clients. Being a native of an English speaking country, on the other hand, is useful to add. If a potential client is interested in the cultural differences of English language use in the US, UK etc then stating your nationality may be useful.

Krayen Jun 12th 2018 3:14 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12513868)
If you don't have contacts in those regions you're going to have to develop some. Contacting universities, colleges and schools may help. You could also develop your own web page and advertise your services in local media.

I'd be a bit careful of the terminology you use to describe your qualifications. Being 'white' doesn't mean your services would be better, in more demand or more attractive to potential clients. Being a native of an English speaking country, on the other hand, is useful to add. If a potential client is interested in the cultural differences of English language use in the US, UK etc then stating your nationality may be useful.

While I agree with you that racism is an ugly thing, you also need to understand that the whole concept of "political correctness" does not exist in Asia. Like, if I was an African American and I posted an ad in Korean media saying "American english teacher for hire", as soon as they had a video chat with me and saw my skin color, they would probably disconnect, or at best, politely not contact me again after the conversation was over.

So yes, "white privilege" does indeed exist in Asia, although I would not be so tasteless as to post an ad "WHITE American english teacher for hire".

spouse of scouse Jun 16th 2018 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Krayen (Post 12514297)
While I agree with you that racism is an ugly thing, you also need to understand that the whole concept of "political correctness" does not exist in Asia. Like, if I was an African American and I posted an ad in Korean media saying "American english teacher for hire", as soon as they had a video chat with me and saw my skin color, they would probably disconnect, or at best, politely not contact me again after the conversation was over.

So yes, "white privilege" does indeed exist in Asia, although I would not be so tasteless as to post an ad "WHITE American english teacher for hire".

Actually, I don't 'need to understand' any such thing - my Masters degree was in Asian studies and I've both lived and worked in the region.
As well as giving you advice re contacts, I was giving you a friendly tip. You're welcome...