Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Where to do post grad: Scotland or Australia???

Where to do post grad: Scotland or Australia???

Old Jan 31st 2007, 4:35 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 16
alionaear is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Where to do post grad: Scotland or Australia???

Hi all,

Could you please help me to make the right decision here.

I graduated from the University in Russia back in 2000, that same year came to Scotland. My husband and I are looking to immigrate to Oz, but at the moment don't get enough points.

I've had my degree checked here in Uk by UK NARIC and it is comparable to British Batchelor (Honours) Degree standard, it qualifies me as teacher of English, German and Translator.

I've not worked as a teacher in Scotland as didn't want to do yet another year of post grad studies (after studying for 5 years in Russia!!!) ...

The situation is different now and I'd like to do PGCE. The question is where?
Is it better to complete the course while still in Scotland and gain necessary work experience here before applying for visa or should I travel to Australia on a student visa and study there?

I guess what I'm asking is: will studying in Australia give me any advantages in future application for residency and job search?

Also according to GTC in Scotland I could get registered as a secondary teacher of English or German without undergoing PGCE course.

If I was to go this route, would australian authorities accept my russian degree without post grad studies or do they under all circumastances require PGCE?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
alionaear is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2007, 6:46 pm
  #2  
WS
 
WS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Perth NOR
Posts: 2,101
WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to do post grad: Scotland or Australia???

To get a successful skills assessment to use for getting a visa to Australia, you would need to complete a PGCE.

If you were the main visa applicant (using your skills for the visa), you would then need 12 month work experience.

You could train as a teach in Australia on a student visa, but it could get very expensive.

Good luck!
WS is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:52 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 16
alionaear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to do post grad: Scotland or Australia???

Originally Posted by ws99 View Post
To get a successful skills assessment to use for getting a visa to Australia, you would need to complete a PGCE.

If you were the main visa applicant (using your skills for the visa), you would then need 12 month work experience.

You could train as a teach in Australia on a student visa, but it could get very expensive.

Good luck!
Thanks very much.

Only 12 months work experience? sounds good!!! isn't meant to be three years?

Could you clarify this one for me please as it sounds too good to be truth...

Thanks
alionaear is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2007, 1:53 am
  #4  
has lost The Game
 
Swerv-o's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Chippendale, Sydney
Posts: 8,735
Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to do post grad: Scotland or Australia???

Originally Posted by ws99 View Post
To get a successful skills assessment to use for getting a visa to Australia, you would need to complete a PGCE.
Not necessarily - a 5 year degree in education with specified teaching practice would probably be equivalent, and may not require a PGCE. BEds of 4 years or more have no requirement for a PGCE in order to be acceptable.

If the GTC in Scotland are willing to give QTS without a PGCE, then it may be that the PGCE component can be waived.

Without knowing the exact nature of the OPs original degree, then it is difficult to make an informed decision.

OP - what was your degree in exactly?

S
Swerv-o is offline  
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 6:47 pm
  #5  
WS
 
WS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Perth NOR
Posts: 2,101
WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to do post grad: Scotland or Australia???

To get a skilled visa the minimum requirement is 12 months work experience.

If you require the extra 10 points for specific work experience, you need 3 out of the last 4 years.
WS is offline  
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 8:09 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 16
alionaear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to do post grad: Scotland or Australia???

Originally Posted by ws99 View Post
To get a skilled visa the minimum requirement is 12 months work experience.

If you require the extra 10 points for specific work experience, you need 3 out of the last 4 years.
Thanks for this.
Shame, but it looks like I'm stuck here for a few years, I'll definitely need specific work experience points to get enough in total.
alionaear is offline  
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 8:28 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 16
alionaear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to do post grad: Scotland or Australia???

Originally Posted by Swerv-o View Post
Not necessarily - a 5 year degree in education with specified teaching practice would probably be equivalent, and may not require a PGCE. BEds of 4 years or more have no requirement for a PGCE in order to be acceptable.

If the GTC in Scotland are willing to give QTS without a PGCE, then it may be that the PGCE component can be waived.

Without knowing the exact nature of the OPs original degree, then it is difficult to make an informed decision.

OP - what was your degree in exactly?

S
Hi,

Here are some details of the degree, maybe you can help...

Title of award: Diploma in Philology. Comparable to British Batchelor (honours) degree standard. Qualifies the holder as Philologist, Teacher of English and German languages, Translator.

During the course took the following subjects and sat the exams listed below:

Philosophy
Culture Studies
History
Law
Sociology
Political Studies
Psychology
Pedagogic
Economics
Physical Education
Age Psychology
Transition Period Economics
Information Studies
Mathematics
Conceptions of Modern Natural Sciences
General Ecology
Computer Training Technologies
Linguistics Theory
Linguistics History
Foreign Language History (English)
Theoretical Phonetics
Lexicology
Theoretical Grammar
Stylistics
Main Foreign Language (English)
Second Foreign Language (German)
Rhetoric
Theory and Practice of Scientific and Technical Translation
Modern Russian
Practical Course of Spelling and Punctuation
Introduction into the Studies of Literature
History of Foreign Literature
Latin
Translation Theory and Practice
Methods of teaching a foreign language
Regional Studies
Scientific Advisor's special seminar
Modern Pedagogical Technologies
Business Correspondence
Political Discussion Course
School Course Scientific Basics
Life Safety and Medicine Basics
Library Studies

Also did 3 practical translation course papers.
Had work experience - teaching English to junior high school students (have to say this was very limited, only 8 hours)

Also wrote and defended the final qualification paper: "Communication Approach in Teaching English to Junior High School Pupils".

And that's it - Hey, just 8000 odd hours...

So, if you can help, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks
alionaear is offline  
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 8:13 am
  #8  
WS
 
WS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Perth NOR
Posts: 2,101
WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to do post grad: Scotland or Australia???

Hi,

If you're asking if that could be assessed as comparable to a BEd I would say No.

To get a skills assessment you also have to show 6 weeks supervised teaching practice.

You could submit a skills assessment for $450 and see what happens.

Good luck!
WS is offline  
Old Feb 4th 2007, 2:06 am
  #9  
has lost The Game
 
Swerv-o's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Chippendale, Sydney
Posts: 8,735
Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to do post grad: Scotland or Australia???

Originally Posted by ws99 View Post
Hi,

If you're asking if that could be assessed as comparable to a BEd I would say No.

To get a skills assessment you also have to show 6 weeks supervised teaching practice.

You could submit a skills assessment for $450 and see what happens.

Good luck!
I would be inclined to agree. The fact that the Scottish GTC will give you QTS is certainly an odd one, as they are usually much more strict than England and Wales.

One thing to note though is that if you do take QTS from Scotland, then you will be ineligible to access teacher training courses in the UK, as you will already have it. My recommendation would be to find out from Teachers Australia if your bachelor is acceptable before making any decisions. If it isn't then that still leaves your options open from accessing a PGCE course. If you take Scottish QTS and then Australia say no, then you will find that you cannot re-train with a PGCE. Remember that GTP type courses are not acceptable to Australia either...

I hope this helps...

S
Swerv-o is offline  
Old Feb 4th 2007, 3:10 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 16
alionaear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to do post grad: Scotland or Australia???

Originally Posted by Swerv-o View Post
I would be inclined to agree. The fact that the Scottish GTC will give you QTS is certainly an odd one, as they are usually much more strict than England and Wales.

One thing to note though is that if you do take QTS from Scotland, then you will be ineligible to access teacher training courses in the UK, as you will already have it. My recommendation would be to find out from Teachers Australia if your bachelor is acceptable before making any decisions. If it isn't then that still leaves your options open from accessing a PGCE course. If you take Scottish QTS and then Australia say no, then you will find that you cannot re-train with a PGCE. Remember that GTP type courses are not acceptable to Australia either...

I hope this helps...

S
Thanks very much for all your help.
alionaear is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2007, 10:00 am
  #11  
Wanderer
 
saoghalbeag's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
Posts: 493
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where to do post grad: Scotland or Australia???

Scotland also have the Probationer scheme operating at the moment whereby graduates of Scottish unis are guaranteed 12 months work after graduation. At least that gives you a guaranteed 12 months experience. But I'd definitely check Australia first.
saoghalbeag is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.