Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Are we fed up for no reason

Are we fed up for no reason

Old Mar 8th 2008, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

Cale_Kelly_Mia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are we fed up for no reason

We had planned to move to perth next year. My wife is a primary school teacher and we have heard that in WA you need to have done a 4 year teaching degree. She has a 3 year degree in Education with QTS. She has been teaching in the UK for 6 years.

we have tried emailing the Department of education a week ago and had no reply.

Is all hope lost or is there something she can do to be able to teach in WA.

All help and advice will be grateful received and you may just put a smile back on our faces

Cale
Old Mar 8th 2008, 5:07 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are we fed up for no reason

Unfortunately as you say, you need a four year qualification - either 4 Yr BEd or degree + PGCE.

Without that your wife is unable to get a skills assessment which is needed for a skilled visa. The Dept of Education will be unable to help

You could maybe investigate a student visa if she wanted to study at University out there but its a risky and expensive route.

Good luck!
Old Mar 8th 2008, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

She doest need a skilled visa as she will be going on a 2 year residents visa as i am Australian. Does this still mean that she cant teach in WA?
Old Mar 8th 2008, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cale_Kelly_Mia
She doest need a skilled visa as she will be going on a 2 year residents visa as i am Australian. Does this still mean that she cant teach in WA?
I believe so as qualification isn't recognised
Old Mar 9th 2008, 8:58 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, the wording of your post implied that you needed this to immigrate.

No, she won't be able to teach in WA as to teach in any school she would need to be registered with the WA College of Teaching.

WACOT unfortunately will only recognise a 4 yr BEd or degree with PGCE.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get to WA on your skills and not your wifes.

One of the Perth Universities does a one year course for those who need to top up there 3year course. Think its fairly new. Sorry havent got the details on me.

Gems
Old Mar 9th 2008, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Its so frustrating!!!!!!!! the thought that this could actually stop us from going! Do you need any special qulaifictions for a class room assistant? or maybe supply teaching?

Thank you all for your advice
Old Mar 9th 2008, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Its so frustrating!!!!!!!! the thought that this could actually stop us from going! Do you need any special qulaifictions for a class room assistant? or maybe supply teaching?

Thank you all for your advice
supply (Casual relief) teachers also need to be registered with WACOT so unfortunatley she would not be able to do this either.

No idea about classroom assistant I'm afraid.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

is it 4 years for all States?
Old Mar 9th 2008, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

is it 4 years for all States?
yep I'm afraid so, though I believe in some states you can get 'permission to teach' without the 4 years. Now I haven't looked into this so don't take this as fact, but I saw it on the VIT application form.

I think this is granted for one of two reasons, either the school really cannot find a teacher who is 4 years qualified but has found someone they could employ and this is judged to be better than no teacher. Or if a teaching qualification is being undertaken at the time/ is part way complete, then it might be granted. So if for example your wife did a part time DipEd there is a possiblity of part time work with this. however once again this would only occur if the school had no qualified, registed alternative.

I must stress again that I have NOT looked into this, so please don't your hopes up on this basis.

If you;re not looking to go until next year it might be worth your wife enrolling on an OU course to get the 4th year sorted before you go.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 5:31 pm
WS

Yes all states require 4 years
Old Mar 9th 2008, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: Are we fed up for no reason

Is it just me or is it slightly odd that you can do a three year degree in politics and then a one year PGCE and get a job as a teacher in Australia but if you have done a 3 year degree in Education and have 7 years teaching experience you cant!
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:16 pm
WS

Yes its odd.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:37 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all

Originally Posted by WS
Yes its odd.
odd maybe but only like the uk - in primary a BEd is fine.... but in secondary it can be frowned upon - the idea that you have 3 years degree shows you have subject knowledge, with 1 year teaching "thoery/practice"...

please don't shoot me down - that's the reality!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sniffydog
odd maybe but only like the uk - in primary a BEd is fine.... but in secondary it can be frowned upon - the idea that you have 3 years degree shows you have subject knowledge, with 1 year teaching "thoery/practice"...

please don't shoot me down - that's the reality!
I think that difference is valid... in secondary you need a depth of knowledge in your subject area (particularily for sixth form teaching) that most BEds do not provide.

In primary the focus is upon breadth so BEds work much better.

But it is different because in the UK you can teach whatever route you are qualified by.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.