British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Teaching (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/)
-   -   WA 457 When are we due an update (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/wa-457-when-we-due-update-597943/)

Australia_bound? Mar 16th 2009 7:38 pm

WA 457 When are we due an update

Anyone have a clue when we're due to hear some more news?

Not coping with the suspended status :(, could really do with a positive update some time very soon....:unsure:

Alk1 Mar 16th 2009 8:46 pm

Re: WA 457 When are we due an update

Hi there. I am new to this site but just to let you know I also feel your frustration! I was interviewed last May and was emailed to say that I would be recommended to go via 457 subject to references etc. I heard nothing till August when they asked to chase up a reference. This was done straight away and then I heard nothing. I decided to email a few weeks ago to see what was happening and I had the dreaded email saying that 457 was suspended. The frustrating thing is that it appears someone in admin has been sitting on my application since August and only passed it on to the officer to complete my application after the suspension date!!! (March 09). I was hoping to go out in Jan 2010 as a primary teacher but now left in mid air!! Would be grateful if anyone could give us further information. However, I feel that we are just dependent upon new vacancies appearing later in the year!!

Australia_bound? Mar 17th 2009 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Alk1 (Post 7385951)
Hi there. I am new to this site but just to let you know I also feel your frustration! I was interviewed last May and was emailed to say that I would be recommended to go via 457 subject to references etc. I heard nothing till August when they asked to chase up a reference. This was done straight away and then I heard nothing. I decided to email a few weeks ago to see what was happening and I had the dreaded email saying that 457 was suspended. The frustrating thing is that it appears someone in admin has been sitting on my application since August and only passed it on to the officer to complete my application after the suspension date!!! (March 09). I was hoping to go out in Jan 2010 as a primary teacher but now left in mid air!! Would be grateful if anyone could give us further information. However, I feel that we are just dependent upon new vacancies appearing later in the year!!

Hopefully Gems will come on line soon, she seems to be first to know. Fingers crossed for something very soon.

Gems Mar 17th 2009 9:03 am

Not sure, last I heard it may be a month or two when the top brass have a meeting and do number cruntching etc.

But will check and get back to you.

Gems

Australia_bound? Mar 17th 2009 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Gems (Post 7387747)
Not sure, last I heard it may be a month or two when the top brass have a meeting and do number cruntching etc.

But will check and get back to you.

Gems

Thanks Gems :)

Gems Mar 18th 2009 1:39 am

Hi, unfortunately nobody can make any decisions on when to bring you out as yet. Due to unforseen economic conditions and very recently immigration minister said Australia priority is protecting Australian jobs.
So DET is in difficult position as Immigration wants to protect its citizens.

I know its difficult for you all, but recession worries are now here in Australia.
It would be irresponsible for them to bring you out if they could not guarantee long term job or may have issues with new visa regs.

Sorry, its not the news you want but you will need to sit and wait it out.

Gems

Australia_bound? Mar 18th 2009 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Gems (Post 7391408)
Hi, unfortunately nobody can make any decisions on when to bring you out as yet. Due to unforseen economic conditions and very recently immigration minister said Australia priority is protecting Australian jobs.
So DET is in difficult position as Immigration wants to protect its citizens.

I know its difficult for you all, but recession worries are now here in Australia.
It would be irresponsible for them to bring you out if they could not guarantee long term job or may have issues with new visa regs.

Sorry, its not the news you want but you will need to sit and wait it out.

Gems

Is there any talk of when any high level meetings will be held so that those who've been put on hold will be given some time frame. Or will it be on a basis of when a post comes up you'll be given a short time frame to make the move?
I've seen there are changes with the visa, though not exactly sure what they are as yet...

Briar Mar 21st 2009 12:26 pm

I have had an email from DETWA saying they will get back to me when they have news about the current situation....anyone had this email? Or was it only to those who had been interviewed and hadnt had a complete application ( in my case thanks to a narky Head not doing a reference on time....)

Yeah well am continuing at the school and do enjoy it. Maybe Oz wasnt meant to be!

derekgoforth Mar 21st 2009 3:20 pm

its all change with secondary teachers, new visa, new oppertunities.

maybe you should ask for a reference from someone more keen to write one?

Australia_bound? Mar 21st 2009 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Briar (Post 7404059)
I have had an email from DETWA saying they will get back to me when they have news about the current situation....anyone had this email? Or was it only to those who had been interviewed and hadnt had a complete application ( in my case thanks to a narky Head not doing a reference on time....)

Yeah well am continuing at the school and do enjoy it. Maybe Oz wasnt meant to be!

Got email also

upthevilla Mar 22nd 2009 10:41 am

I was due out in jan 2010, primary teacher. Had same email mentioning about a likely change of visa. Sys they are still committed to employing me, but they can't say when. Hoping for news soon.

Alk1 Mar 22nd 2009 11:31 am

I was also due to go out in Jan 2010 as a primary teacher. Had email about no vacancies due to economic situation etc. not told anything about new visa though!!! My application is complete and they said that they will let me know when situation changes. Still a bit confused though as DET website still has no updates on it about current situation and states that they will still require primary teachers from Jan 2010!!

Australia_bound? Apr 8th 2009 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Alk1 (Post 7406550)
I was also due to go out in Jan 2010 as a primary teacher. Had email about no vacancies due to economic situation etc. not told anything about new visa though!!! My application is complete and they said that they will let me know when situation changes. Still a bit confused though as DET website still has no updates on it about current situation and states that they will still require primary teachers from Jan 2010!!

I think that the no news is good news saying is becoming tiresome. Wonder when we'll get a hint at what is happening?

derekgoforth Apr 8th 2009 1:25 pm

i think primary teachers should seriously look at other options for aus entry

Australia_bound? Apr 8th 2009 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by derekgoforth (Post 7462713)
i think primary teachers should seriously look at other options for aus entry

Nice for a positive views derek. Keep it up ;)